Prospect Info: #160 Aarne Talvitie (C)

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
According to Finnish media, he couldnt return to ice as his knee coldnt "take it" or "carry weight". Depends on translation, lets hope he didnt sprain anything that requires surgery. Im atm recovering from ACL surgery and basically its a minimum of 1yr rehab and chances are it wont be as good as it was ever again.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
All aboard the Talvitie hype train.

I wouldn't be surprised if he and McLeod are very effective together.

Talvitie or the goalie Luukkonen were the best players of team Finland throughout the tournament and I think either of these guys would've deserved to get the overall tournament MVP award as well.

Talvitie was easily the best forward of Finland all tournament in a quite stacked forward line up and he's a big time leader. A good way to spend the #160th draft pick I'd say.

Reactions: My3Sons and Verdoux

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
According to Finnish media, he couldnt return to ice as his knee coldnt "take it" or "carry weight". Depends on translation, lets hope he didnt sprain anything that requires surgery. Im atm recovering from ACL surgery and basically its a minimum of 1yr rehab and chances are it wont be as good as it was ever again.

What kind of tear did you have and what type of surgery. It all makes a big difference.

Didn't see Talvities injury so I can't comment on it. Hopefully it's nothing too bad

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Alamo line incoming.

new-dog-475x315.jpg

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
Just came here to post that I really liked what I saw from Talvitie during the WJC (most consistent forward in our whole squad, worked his *** off and had no fear to go to the dirty areas) and especially in the final game:

He injured his knee, but they taped it firmly so that he could come back and play in the 3rd. Was a big part in our 2nd goal (even though it won't show on the stat sheet, but just watch the clip). After that he received another hit to the knee - minor, but enough to make it feel worse - so he realized that he couldn't help the team enough and hence stepped off from the lineup but stayed on the bench to lead his troops.

IMO shows a lot of grit AND maturity. It's not easy for a competitive mind to say "ok guys, I'm causing the team more harm than good by playing, so you're better off without me" as long as you can stand up with your skates on.

I think the scout who found him should get a raise. Of course he is still far away from being a surefire NHLer, but projecting 6th rounders 2.5 years ahead is so hard that I think this pick can be considered a success already. Definitely has all the tools to become an effective middle six workhorse forward like Calle Järnkrok or Colin Wilson.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
He was my favourite Finn at the 2017 U18 WJC and he was that again in this tournament.. just a beast. Great leader and a true workhorse.

Edit: Talvitie was playing winger for the whole tournament, not center in a single game.

Last edited:

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
I hope Penn State can make a good run and win their conference at minimum so Talvitie might be ready to move on after 1 year there. Binghamton might be crowded next season with Boqvist, Zetterlund and Joey Anderson all possibly being there. Another year in the Ncaa might be best for him.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
I hope Penn State can make a good run and win their conference at minimum so Talvitie might be ready to move on after 1 year there. Binghamton might be crowded next season with Boqvist, Zetterlund and Joey Anderson all possibly being there. Another year in the Ncaa might be best for him.
I say the more, the merrier.

It's time to see our draft choices come down the pipeline and at least start filling out our AHL team.

Monsieur Verdoux

Dec 6, 2016
Finland
"I think I played pretty well when it came to playing with the puck. I think that's the biggest area of my game that I need to improve on and I think I managed to do that pretty well here. I was happy with the way I played here," he said. "After we figure out what's up with my knee, I know I'll be able to take what I learned here back to Penn State and continue to get better."

Devils prospect Aarne Talvitie wins gold at World Juniors

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Corey Pronman's thoughts about Talvitie (from the comment section):

"He's intriguing. The ? will be with him is at his size does he have enough raw ability to do what he's done as a U20 versus men but he keeps playing well wherever I've watched him."

Pronman's 2019 World Junior Championship wrap: Standouts,...
Well my big question is around his offensive potential, I'm fairly convinced he can be a bottom 6 forward in the NHL, although there are no guarantees of course. He's listed at 5'11" 201 lbs right now at 19, and the guy was a physical beast at the WJC just plowing over anyone who came near him. I think he needs to get a bit quicker in order to reach his offensive potential though, as he has a hell of a shot, is a good passer, very high hockey IQ, etc.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Well my big question is around his offensive potential, I'm fairly convinced he can be a bottom 6 forward in the NHL, although there are no guarantees of course. He's listed at 5'11" 201 lbs right now at 19, and the guy was a physical beast at the WJC just plowing over anyone who came near him. I think he needs to get a bit quicker in order to reach his offensive potential though, as he has a hell of a shot, is a good passer, very high hockey IQ, etc.
201 is pretty stocky for 5'11".

I'm a big guy, and when playing sports, the ones that have given me problems are shorter stocky guys. They have compact strength and can get leverage by being low.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
201 is pretty stocky for 5'11".

I'm a big guy, and when playing sports, the ones that have given me problems are shorter stocky guys. They have compact strength and can get leverage by being low.
And I think that 5'11" is awful generous. But I don't question his strength. As noted above, I think the quickness will be the question.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad