Post-Game Talk: #16: Coyotes 4 at FLYERS 5 (OT), Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
To me the problem is the coaching first and foremost. I would start with a change there before getting rid of players. A coach should have some input on players as it impacts the system, etc... being run, so getting rid of them prior to replacing the coach or at the same time seems counterintuitive to me.
I want the coach changeg also but bad passes by dnrn, lack of effort after getting scored on, lack of intensity, forwards not hustling on back checks and that's Star players also is s problem to but the coach will go first.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I want the coach changeg also but bad passes by dnrn, lack of effort after getting scored on, lack of intensity, forwards not hustling on back checks and that's Star players also is s problem to but the coach will go first.

All of those things are natural to every roster in the NHL. It is a normal human response. Every single team is guilty of it.

The difference is that a good coach mitigates the impact.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Indeed. 102 point forwards are extremely common. Every team must have 4 or 5, obviously.

yes, this was based off the 1982-1983 edmonton oilers philosphy of having high scoring forwards. Since then, that model has been replicated quite successfully league wide. The key to replicating that offense is to have about a half dozen hall of famers.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
This product is boring even if they win 50 straight. Time for a new look everywhere in the org.

Hatch, I'm with you on the boring part, but have to say that I'd find a 50 game winning streak somewhat entertaining. :naughty:

nylander would be our best young forward and a step in the right direction.

King Joffrey on the Flyers?

William-Nylander-King-Joffrey.png

That would kinda blow-up Ron's rep that he only knows how to trade for picks and old scrubs.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Hatch, I'm with you on the boring part, but have to say that I'd find a 50 game winning streak somewhat entertaining. :naughty:

King Joffrey on the Flyers?

William-Nylander-King-Joffrey.png

That would kinda blow-up Ron's rep that he only knows how to trade for picks and old scrubs.
50 gm would be nice and he needs to finally trade for the roster not picks and prospects and cap dumps.

Les Averman

Mar 3, 2015
Pittsburgh, PA
I have something to say. I'm honestly pretty happy with how the lines were deployed yesterday and ice times. Obviously the special teams are a mess and there's no reason for Lappy to still have a job but overall, it was a good time for a goalie change and I'd liked the playing distribution. If special teams were updated (i.e. Sanheim taking Provy's spot on PP2 and complete overhaul of PK) then I'd be happy with it all probably.

Folin & Hagg with team lows among defensemen, at just under 17 minutes. I'd like to see a little bump for Sanheim but again, if he took Provy's spot on PP2, there's that bump in time. Weise has earned his playing time that he's getting, which is good to see. I'd like to see a little more time for Laughts but that's the only area I'd say was a bit off. Well proportion, in my eyes.

Reactions: JXC

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I give Hak credit for showing some emotion and laying into his team after they were playing like the keystone kops. It might have saved him his job, at least temporarily. That stretch in the 2nd period was utterly embarrassing.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I give Hak credit for showing some emotion and laying into his team after they were playing like the keystone kops. It might have saved him his job, at least temporarily. That stretch in the 2nd period was utterly embarrassing.
Hak woke them up but that has to happen way to much. Second period was a joke from everyone.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Also don't forget that he's put up that level of production in spite of two years where he wasn't healthy.

In 2015-2016 he was playing injured (and still co-carried the team to the playoffs, with Ghost, during that awesome stretch run) and in 2016-2017 he was recovering from the injury/surgery and didn't get to train in the offseason.

It absolutely blows my mind we have "fans" on here who keep trying to downplay how insane he is. I don't know how you can watch this team for the last 5-10 years and not appreciate him... one of the best players to ever put on a Flyers jersey.

And if this is declining, I hope he keeps declining because he played out of his mind last year (career year in goals and assists) and is playing great again this year, despite disappointing help around him and a slumping PP.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Hakstol wasn’t getting fired if they lost last night.
Almost certainly true. Though if the game kept going like it was going, I think even Hextall may have blown a gasket.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
The only thing Voracek did wrong on the Grabner goal was not dive to try to knock the puck away instead of his weak pokecheck attempt. More than likely he either gets the puck or he takes down Grabner and gets called for a penalty. Give me a break about being out skated by Grabner who outskates everyone.
I would bet my left nut they are explicitly told not to take penalties and just disrupt opponent enough to make it hard for him to score. Hak is aware we can't afford to take penalties.

Reactions: Adtar02

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Tough to be Hexy with the no show players all the time then show up. How do you trade or fire a coach?

I remember when people like you were going on about how the players don't show up in 2009.

Weird how they had no trouble showing up with a competent coach.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I remember when people like you were going on about how the players don't show up in 2009.

People like me hey. I started hating the look of the team in the lock out season. Hasnt changed the flat style but the roster has but its just coach right LOL. Second period last night shit but the 3rd lets go and win it. Players are more the problem but the coach can go to.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014

To be fair, They sure did the beginning of the season he was fired.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Also don't forget that he's put up that level of production in spite of two years where he wasn't healthy.

In 2015-2016 he was playing injured (and still co-carried the team to the playoffs, with Ghost, during that awesome stretch run) and in 2016-2017 he was recovering from the injury/surgery and didn't get to train in the offseason.

It absolutely blows my mind we have "fans" on here who keep trying to downplay how insane he is. I don't know how you can watch this team for the last 5-10 years and not appreciate him... one of the best players to ever put on a Flyers jersey.

And if this is declining, I hope he keeps declining because he played out of his mind last year (career year in goals and assists) and is playing great again this year, despite disappointing help around him and a slumping PP.

Giroux made 2 fantastic plays on the OT goal last night and still only got the secondary assist. His give-and-go with Jake in close quarters on the zone entry was beautiful and then he stayed after the puck and was able to disrupt the Coyotes attempt to exit the zone which allowed Jake to get possesion and then get beast mode before feeding Ghost. That's what I don't look at Primary vs. Secondary when it comes to assists.

His primary assist to Konecny was also ridiculous. Saucer pass between two defensemen that landed flat on the ice right before Konecnys stick.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

It really is sad. Meanwhile, we are pinning our `future`hopes on guys like Patrick, TK, Farabee who are expected to have 60ish point upside.

It is just amazing how unappreciated he...and Voracek are....myself included when it comes to Jake. Replacing PPG players is NEVER going to be easy.

Reactions: Curufinwe

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Giroux made 2 fantastic plays on the OT goal last night and still only got the secondary assist. His give-and-go with Jake in close quarters on the zone entry was beautiful and then he stayed after the puck and was able to disrupt the Coyotes attempt to exit the zone which allowed Jake to get possesion and then get beast mode before feeding Ghost. That's what I don't look at Primary vs. Secondary when it comes to assists.

His primary assist to Konecny was also ridiculous. Saucer pass between two defensemen that landed flat on the ice right before Konecnys stick.
Yeah, agree 100%.

There's plenty of times where the secondary assist was even more important to creating the goal than the primary, so acting like they're worth less and can be ignored is silly.

And that TK goal yesterday was was beautiful all around. Perfect pass, perfect shot. Not bad for a 4th liner and a declining bum.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It really is sad. Meanwhile, we are pinning our `future`hopes on guys like Patrick, TK, Farabee who are expected to have 60ish point upside.

It is just amazing how unappreciated he...and Voracek are....myself included when it comes to Jake. Replacing PPG players is NEVER going to be easy.

3rd all time in Flyers assists (about to be 2nd)
5th all time in Flyers points (about to be 4th)
4th all time in Flyers games played (about to be 3rd)

Who knows where he'll be by the time he's done...

How many decades will it be before we find another player like this?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
3rd all time in Flyers assists (about to be 2nd)
5th all time in Flyers points (about to be 4th)
4th in games Flyers games played (about to be 3rd)

Who knows where he'll be by the time he's done...

How many decades will it be before we find another player like this?

Whatchu mean? Frosty the Goal Man will be the next Giroux. :nod:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
But points win rounds remember. G and V are good players but not gonna win here so why not cash in and have another couple shots in the top 5 picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad