Post-Game Talk: #16: Coyotes 4 at FLYERS 5 (OT), Thursday, Nov. 8, 2018, 7:00 p.m. ET

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
And people laughed at me for instituting the ban on Dale Weise slander.
e2zr9Bi.gif

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
More lies.

Grabber is STILL one of the leagues fastest skaters. He exposes everyone. But don't let facts get in the way.

But Voracek isn't, he had the inside position on Grabner and was beat, which says he's a lot slower, not a little slower.
Or he simply wasn't motivated to get back, which of course is worse.

The problem of course is that if Voracek has merely good speed but nothing more, what makes him a standout player from here on in?

He's a good passer, but not in Giroux's league, he's good at O-zone entry but tends to fly solo when he does so, he's a below average shooter, an indifferent forechecker and an inconsistent backchecker.

What made him special was his combination of speed and puck possession and passing skill when he could see a target (i.e. like McNabb in football, he can hit what he sees but doesn't anticipate well). Now you don't see defenses collapse on him, they just wait for him to skate himself into a corner.

Reactions: VoraceksWristShot

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Imagine thinking the stars on this team are the problem :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I’m not blaming the star players. They are obviously very productive. But jake is exeptionally frustrating. I shouldn’t be able to call a failed dump in to the o zone while just outside the blue line. He plays pucks right to the other team and seems to screw up a fair number of passes to his own players. He’s frustrating. Simmonds too.

Reactions: flyersjim73

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
But Voracek isn't, he had the inside position on Grabner and was beat, which says he's a lot slower, not a little slower.
Or he simply wasn't motivated to get back, which of course is worse.

The problem of course is that if Voracek has merely good speed but nothing more, what makes him a standout player from here on in?

He's a good passer, but not in Giroux's league, he's good at O-zone entry but tends to fly solo when he does so, he's a below average shooter, an indifferent forechecker and an inconsistent backchecker.

What made him special was his combination of speed and puck possession and passing skill when he could see a target (i.e. like McNabb in football, he can hit what he sees but doesn't anticipate well). Now you don't see defenses collapse on him, they just wait for him to skate himself into a corner.
Your demise of Jake is funny.

Over a PPG last year. PPG this year. 50 ES points since the start of last year...Tavares and Crosby have 51 each to put that into context.

Par for the course for you though.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Well except provy, he was a turd out there tonight. #SackUp Honestly though oel looked every bit as what i hope for provy to turn out.

OEL will never get credit for how good he is in his own end because of his offensive skills. If he were on the Flyers he'd get 14 minutes a night.

Reactions: flyersjim73

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Your demise of Jake is funny.

Over a PPG last year. PPG this year. 50 ES points since the start of last year...Tavares and Crosby have 51 each to put that into context.

Par for the course for you though.

Sorry, I’m with Kingpin on this one. Nobody is denying Jake puts up points... but good lord does he make some bad plays with the puck. Mishandles, passes into traffic, wide shots that turn into break outs for the other team.

All in all, I think he’s worth it. He does A LOT of good, but just quoting the points and ignoring the negatives is not something I can do.

Again, he’s worth it, but he is very frustrating.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
TK is fast, Voracek used to be fast, watching Grabner skate around him exposed his age. He's not slow, but he's slowing down and still hasn't compensated by developing PF skills and attitude. Remember, Grabner is OLDER than Jake.
Grabner has always been one of the fastest skaters in the league. Come on now. He’s a lot faster than most players.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Sorry, I’m with Kingpin on this one. Nobody is denying Jake puts up points... but good lord does he make some bad plays with the puck. Mishandles, passes into traffic, wide shots that turn into break outs for the other team.

All in all, I think he’s worth it. He does A LOT of good, but just quoting the points and ignoring the negatives is not something I can do.

Nobody is ignoring the mistakes, but there's no debate that there's FAR more good than bad and overall he's easily a net positive.

So his constant crying about one of our best players is just pathetic and, like everything else, part of his agenda to bash the star players so he can continue to lie and say nothing is Hakstol's fault.

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Not gonna complain about the two goal lead blown after going into the shell, or the two shorties allowed, or the 0-4 PP, or the 50% PK.

I always knew we'd be saved by Dale Weiss!?!?

giphy.gif

Ghost and G looked very good.

Jake going strong to the net in OT paid dividends on Ghost's game winner.

Great to see Laughts having good fortune after some tough breaks.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
The complaints about Voracek are absurd at this point. The Flyers have 8 wins and Jake singlehandedly carried the team in 2 of them and make great plays and strong contributions in most of the others, like tonight. He's a ppg scorer over a pretty long stretch now (close to 100 games) and he's not getting PP1 or RW1 time, not much time with Giroux/Couturier at all. Unless you're going to empty the farm system and NHL team for Laine, you're not upgrading on him.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The complaints about Voracek are absurd at this point. The Flyers have 8 wins and Jake singlehandedly carried the team in 2 of them and make great plays and strong contributions in most of the others, like tonight. He's a ppg scorer over a pretty long stretch now (close to 100 games) and he's not getting PP1 or RW1 time, not much time with Giroux/Couturier at all. Unless you're going to empty the farm system and NHL team for Laine, you're not upgrading on him.

Yeah I don't get it. With a struggley start, he still only has 9 RWs ahead of him for point production. He finished in the top 5 for RWs last year.

There are very few players who are an upgrade, and why exactly would they be available without us paying more for them?

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
This f***ing team. They eek out this win after that dreadful second half of the 1st and 2nd period. Yotes Hakshelled in the 3rd and they got it taken to them. The special teams simply are the reason they almost blew this. I know it's obvious but it goes deeper than 2 shorthanded goals on 1 PP. The Flyers were up 2-0 early, got a PP, then had to kill a penalty, then got another PP in the 1st period. They failed to score, gave up a goal, then failed to score. If they execute, then it's a whole different outlook coming out of the first period. Could be 3-1 or 3-0.

And listen, I know I'm just a fan and not a coach, but I noticed again that when Laughton got that semi-exciting semi-breakaway as time expired in the first it was because the puck carrier was pressured and disrupted by Weise. Shocking, I know. Maybe we should try pressuring and disrupting the puck carrier more on the PK? I'm just asking questions. But for all the incredibly frustrating things I saw this game I can't say enough good things about that first goal
  • Started with Sanheim trusting his instincts and stepping up from the dzone blue line into the neutral zone on a read. His pressure caused the turnover
  • Coots right there for puck support, snags the loose puck in the NZ
  • Outlet to TK on the weak side. Drops to G then drives the net, creating space for the puck carrier. Gets to open space for the finish
  • Great reads, great support, great passing, great finish. That was sweet
And for how good that goal and the first 10 minutes were, the next 30 were absolute f***ing garbage. Fumbling the puck, blind NZ passes, sagging defense, lazy feet...

Ghost: is out there forgetting what hockey is. For the last however many games he's had so much trouble keeping the puck on the stick. Is that due to some bad bounces? I'm sure it is, but it's been noticeable, and it came to a head tonight. Linesman notwithstanding. Then what happens? A stroke of good luck. This game is funny. Maybe that's what he needs to get back to beast Ghost night in and night out. Well, that and Provorov as his partner

17sHEQF.gif

Hagg: another great game in a long list of great games by our top pair defenseman
  • 1st period I chuckled when he panic flipped a puck towards the net at eye height and 6 feet wide. Looking for the tip, clearly.
  • Pass to the NZ to no one in particular, easy pick for the Yotes and transition the other way
  • He gave us a nice backfoot while skating backwards wrist shot that was gloved by a Yote up high and taken with speed the other way, resulting in a scoring chance.
Laughton: fitting goals for him. Result of his tenacity and relentless pursuit of the puck, something he's demonstrated all year. He was one of the best on the ice tonight, and by that I not only mean he had a great game, but he also had an ok game.

Konecny: one of the other players with a great game. Damn shame his slam dunk to tie the game was thwarted by Richardson.

Taryn: 8/10 and a 1 on the binary scale. Easy.

Folin: Leaves a guy wide open drifting towards the puck without his head on a swivel then delays the game. Good shift. And there it is. Shocking, I know.

Jake: monster 3rd period and OT. Type of player that was made to dominate 3v3. G was also all over the place this game. He joins Laughton and Konecny as the most consistent forwards tonight imo

It's dirty but good. This is one of those character wins. The special teams are a f***ing issue.

oKo4TkW.gif

Last edited:

FlyerFaithful17

Feb 24, 2015
Yeah I don't get it. With a struggley start, he still only has 9 RWs ahead of him for point production. He finished in the top 5 for RWs last year.

There are very few players who are an upgrade, and why exactly would they be available without us paying more for them?
I guess people find him somewhat inconsistent on a shift to shift basis, but when he is on he is ON. Every team needs (or wants) someone like that. I don’t think anyone on the Flyers can quite dominate a shift the way Voracek can with his size and skill.

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
Grabner has always been one of the fastest skaters in the league. Come on now. He’s a lot faster than most players.

This was why I yhought Hextall would go after him last off season especially when he wanted a PK and 3rd line guy...I don't think his contract that he got was anything we couldn't do .

Reactions: JXC

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
The only thing Voracek did wrong on the Grabner goal was not dive to try to knock the puck away instead of his weak pokecheck attempt. More than likely he either gets the puck or he takes down Grabner and gets called for a penalty. Give me a break about being out skated by Grabner who outskates everyone.

Reactions: Adtar02 and JXC

JXC

#ThisAintXbox #ThisAintMightyDucks #FireHakstol
Dec 28, 2005

This is true. His propensity to turn the puck over high in the offensive zone is irritating to say the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad