Prospect Info: 15th overall — C Dylan Larkin: Larkin signs 3 year entry deal

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
safe pick... ie plug.

hate the pick . we draft a 2nd liner when both 1st liners were still on the board.

tuch or milano have way higher upside ! and don't get Me started on fabbri's upside .

If he becomes a 2nd line center. That's a major win. It's not like we were picking in the top 10...

Hckytwn

Don't do it Kenny...
Jul 9, 2010
Seattle, WA
A solid choice, I'm happy with it. None of these picks are a sure thing, but it's hard to see how they could've done better than Larkin at #15. Sure, Fabbri might have higher scoring potential, but he also has many more shortcomings... this was reflected in the rankings and also in the actions of the GMs tonight. He's hardly a lock as a top 6 forward.

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Loved the Mantha pick. Big winger, that needed some time in the minors to work on rough spots. Filled a role that the wings needed. Bottom 6 centers, well Detroit is flush with those.

Larkin's upside is as an Elite level power forward, who can play the wing or center.

A bottom 6 center would be if he doesn't develop.

Either way we may be stocked with centers right now, but almost all of them are already in the NHL. We're going to need more by the time Larkin is done at U of M.

DetBigWangs

Dec 15, 2009
I haven't seen this kid, but he sounds like another Sheahan. I don't think I mind that too much.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Larkin's upside is as an Elite level power forward, who can play the wing or center.

A bottom 6 center would be if he doesn't develop.

Either way we may be stocked with centers right now, but almost all of them are already in the NHL. We're going to need more by the time Larkin is done at U of M.

Where did you get 'elite level power forward' from? I mean the best I have heard is 'Helm with hands'.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
My best buddy just bartended his grad party and my aunt and uncle have seen him play a ton of times and used to live right by him. Pretty crazy to have a kid from so close drafted 15th overall.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
Reading more on him it looks like Helm with hands and a shot. I can't hate the pick especially if he pans out. Potential 2C maybe?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
If Abdelkader had speed, hockey sense, and hands, he would be an excellent player. That's basically my point.

If I had speed, hockey sense and hands I would be an excellent player. Unfortunately I have a bad shoulder and a bad knee from my time in the military. We can play the what if game all day, this guy while probably going to make the NHL was way too safe for a top 15 pick, and I feel Detroit could have traded down gotten a second and still gotten him. If not they should have really swung for the fences, as Larkin going to the NCAA probably doesn't see the NHL in the next half decade, and as such doesn't make much of an impact in the near future.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
big if... he is more a 3rd line checker.
as a 17 year old he is being used as a checker.

just saying there were lots of players with much higher upside on the board.

Correct me if I'm wrong. But were we not saying the same thing about Sheahan early on?

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Larkin was 4th at faceoffs at the U18 WJC, 64%.

He's actually only 3 months older than Eichel and scored 7 less goals in the USDP in a 2nd line role.

Last edited:

FlashyG

Dec 15, 2011
Toronto
Where did you get 'elite level power forward' from? I mean the best I have heard is 'Helm with hands'.

From Elite Prospects

Larkin has shown he can be an elite-level power forward in addition to showing a high level of offensive ability. His ability to take the puck hard to the net allows for unique scoring chances most players would not be able get because of a lack of size and strength.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
To the people complaining about him having a 2nd line ceiling:

If he becomes a 2nd line center, then this is a successful pick. Go back and look at the #15 picks the past 15 years. Karlsson, Radulov, and Zubrus. Those are the only players of note. The rest are nobodies.

1st line ceiling players that are sure things aren't available at 15. They go top 3. Only about 25-30% of 1st rounders become regular NHLers with stable careers. Think about that.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
If I had speed, hockey sense and hands I would be an excellent player. Unfortunately I have a bad shoulder and a bad knee from my time in the military. We can play the what if game all day, this guy while probably going to make the NHL was way too safe for a top 15 pick, and I feel Detroit could have traded down gotten a second and still gotten him. If not they should have really swung for the fences, as Larkin going to the NCAA probably doesn't see the NHL in the next half decade, and as such doesn't make much of an impact in the near future.

For the future, we have Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Sheahan, Athanasiou, Janmark. Larkin figures in the later years (4 years). He'll be right on time to take the 2nd C spot.

Other than the top 10, I don't think any other prospects could come in an make an immediate impact. But hey, that's my 2 cents.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
For the future, we have Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Pulkkinen, Mantha, Sheahan, Athanasiou, Janmark. Larkin figures in the later years (4 years). He'll be right on time to take the 2nd C spot.

Other than the top 10, I don't think any other prospects could come in an make an immediate impact. But hey, that's my 2 cents.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg if they keep in the trajectory they are on will not be elite centers much longer. They will either need to shift to the wings or move down the roster. Detroit needs either assets for a trade, or they need players who project to make the NHL faster than Larkin.

Point Shot

Keep It Realgud
Feb 12, 2013
Doubt he's ever more than a second-line centre, and Sheahan has that role basically gift-wrapped for him. Oh well. Maybe Sheahan gets good enough to move up to No. 1 centre and Larkin slots in as No. 2 someday. Not a wow pick, but not a horrible pick. Safe.

SimplySolace

"We like our team"
Jun 30, 2013
Datsyuk and Zetterberg if they keep in the trajectory they are on will not be elite centers much longer. They will either need to shift to the wings or move down the roster. Detroit needs either assets for a trade, or they need players who project to make the NHL faster than Larkin.

Well.. they don't. Which I'm sure is a large part of why they picked him, they don't need someone right away.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
He's who I wanted. I'm partial to two-way centers with skill who can play against the other teams best players and win faceoffs. He may not be a PPG guy like Z or D, but he could be like Bergeron or Kesler in terms of point totals and two-way play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad