Prospect Info: 15th overall — C Dylan Larkin: Larkin signs 3 year entry deal

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Areas I think we're ignoring:

1. Larkin is a better offensive player than he gets credit for. He was second to Eichel in goals on that stacked team.

2. Larkin is grittier than he's getting credit for. He's a power forward style player. My comparison is Skilled Helm/Abdelkader hybrid. He's not thick enough to play that game yet at the pro level, but he's going to college.

3. Larkin is an excellent leadership guy and competes extremely hard.

4. The Wings will have an extraordinary amount of access and control during his college years. That'll really help his development.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I'm satisfied with this pick. Among Wings fans, there seemed to be a lot of insistence on Detroit going with a defenseman at 15, because a defender is a huge need for the Red Wings. Personaly, I had my doubts that Detroit would go with a defender at 15 unless Honka was still available. Moreover, I have some doubts about Honka as he is not only undersized for the NHL but tremendously undersized for a defenseman; I think he has a lot to prove. I would rather see the Wings take a guy who isn't such a gamble the way some of the defenders expected to go late in the first round are, when there is so much solid talent still available in forwards. You can always gamble on a defender in a later round.

As an afterthought, I love that Detroit is building around all these local players. However, I never want to see it get to a point where they pass up on higher talent to sign a local guy. But at the moment, I'm very happy with the direction of things.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I have seen some Derek stepan comparisons. I think it's a safe pick, but I don't like players that go to U of M, they seem to never pan out

snailderby

Jul 10, 2010
The thing that disappoints me most about this pick is it feels like a 30th overall choice, not a 15th.
To be fair, THW had Larkin at #19, ISS had him at #15, and TSN (McKenzie) had him at #12, so I'm not sure whether he would have made it to #30.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Areas I think we're ignoring:

1. Larkin is a better offensive player than he gets credit for. He was second to Eichel in goals on that stacked team.

2. Larkin is grittier than he's getting credit for. He's a power forward style player. My comparison is Skilled Helm/Abdelkader hybrid. He's not thick enough to play that game yet at the pro level, but he's going to college.

3. Larkin is an excellent leadership guy and competes extremely hard.

4. The Wings will have an extraordinary amount of access and control during his college years. That'll really help his development.

Not making any of us feel better with that comparison.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
safe pick... ie plug.

hate the pick . we draft a 2nd liner when both 1st liners were still on the board.

tuch or milano have way higher upside ! and don't get Me started on fabbri's upside .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad