Line Combos: 15/16 forward lines

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I doubt very much that Burmi gets relegated to the 4th line. I'd much rather see:

Petan - Copp - Armia

I think that they could handle a bunch of minutes. I just hope that Copp is decent on the dot. Petan is supposed to be one of the best faceoff men in the dub too.

I think that would be my ideal fourth line. Some risk in putting three rookies together but it can't be worse then our previous fourth lines.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I think that would be my ideal fourth line. Some risk in putting three rookies together but it can't be worse then our previous fourth lines.

I wonder if we might see Maurice go a bit unconventional with more even balance across 4 lines and a high tempo pressure game style. His system really is suited to that, as is his roster. The fly in the ointment is his fascination with playing tough guys like Thorbs and Peluso.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
I think this tidbit might fit here....

Winnipeg Jets - 2014/2015 - Corsi For % - 5v5 - Score Adjusted

Period 1: 54.3% (4th in NHL)
Period 2: 53.9% (5th)
Period 3: 52.1% (13th)

Winnipeg Jets - 2014/2015 - Goals For % - 5v5 - Score Adjusted

Period 1: 65.0% (1st in NHL)
Period 2: 52.9% (8th)
Period 3: 45.3% (23rd)

Maurice has focused a lot on conditioning, but it certainly looks like the Jets tend to fade as the games go on, particularly in the 3rd period. I think it gives the strong suggestion that the Jets need to strengthen the 4th line and use it more during the games. Conditioning is important, but the Jets need better depth too if they want to sustain their heavy and aggressive style through 60 minutes and 82 games.

This is correct and probably also the "intangible" - 3rd period game breaking player.

It showed how the team kept backing off in the 3rd period in ALL 4 games against the Ducks during the playoffs. Someone that can will the team, in 2 or 3 shift to get their confidence that they can beat teams like the Ducks.

when push comes to shove, someone who rises to the challenge.

Wheeler had shown it, but very little and inconsistent. Buff also.

Jets falter in the 3rd period.

One player that i think might be this person plays a Goalie position.

Jets might be in a preventive mode in the 3rd period because, their confidence with their goalie is not that high. They might say it differently, but it shows in their plays a lot of time during 3rd periods.

If you know your goalie can bail you out when you make extra plays, you get that confidence. If you know your goalie will almost always give up a goal during a break up in a play. You are more tentative.

Go JETS, September is here!:amazed:

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
If Ehlers, Petan, Armia and Morrissey makes it,
does this mean

JETS become the youngest team in the NHL?
Also at the same time not the biggest teams in the NHL anymore
But again one of the fastest teams?

Whileee

May 29, 2010
does this mean

I'll trade some size for increased speed/quickness and skill any day. Maurice also indicated that the pressure game he likes to play relies on speed/quickness and aggressiveness as much as size. He specifically mentioned Perreault as an example of a smaller player who is ideal in terms of his role in the Jets system. If Petan, Armia and Ehlers can play that up-tempo and aggressive style, they should be successful in the Jets' system.

Here's Maurice's take.... (http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=753926)

"The obvious parts [that will be missed] are the power play and some of his 5-on-5 offense, but what I think he brings more than anything is his style of play for [someone who is] not a big man," Maurice said of Perreault. "We've talked about being big and fast, but … I don't know if there is another forward who gets on the puck the way he does, the forecheck.

"He gets on that puck as well as any forward that we have. He gets in on the forecheck, and he creates a lot off that intensity. We'll miss that intensity level from him."

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
does this mean

Sorry Fareast this post is not directed at you, just using it as a jumping off point.

Over the summer I've started to refine my focus on what the Jets need. I think most of us around here consider the Jets to be a bubble team. And I'll add, under Maurice a decently well coached bubble team. So how does a well coached bubble team move towards being a contender? I'd argue by becoming more skilled?

So the question becomes how to the Jets become a more skilled team? We all know they won't/can't go out and buy skilled players in their prime so they need to bring in their own prospects. Here we have the good fortune of sitting on the best prospect pool in hockey.

That is why I have been advocating for a rookie wave. Going out and re-signing depth players like Stemp and Tlusty won't move us past bubble status. Having tweeners like Hali, Cormier & Frasier on the team won't move us beyond bubble status. What will move us towards being a contenter is adding skill. This is what Ehlers, Petan, Armia and Morrissey offer.

And it is not like the Jets are rushing these guys in especially in contrast to how prospects were handled in Atlanta. Not one came onto the team straight from the draft. To date only one in his draft +2 year (Trouba), though Ehlers is a good bet. To date only one in their draft +3 year (Scheifele).

Now it looks like we have a wave ready. So why should we start getting cold feet about introducing them into the lineup? IMO the Jets are a conservative organization by nature. If they think some of their prospects are ready, I say bring them on because IMO that is they only way we will move to a brighter future.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Sorry Fareast this post is not directed at you, just using it as a jumping off point.

Over the summer I've started to refine my focus on what the Jets need. I think most of us around here consider the Jets to be a bubble team. And I'll add, under Maurice a decently well coached bubble team. So how does a well coached bubble team move towards being a contender? I'd argue by becoming more skilled?

So the question becomes how to the Jets become a more skilled team? We all know they won't/can't go out and buy skilled players in their prime so they need to bring in their own prospects. Here we have the good fortune of sitting on the best prospect pool in hockey.

That is why I have been advocating for a rookie wave. Going out and re-signing depth players like Stemp and Tlusty won't move us past bubble status. Having tweeners like Hali, Cormier & Frasier on the team won't move us beyond bubble status. What will move us towards being a contenter is adding skill. This is what Ehlers, Petan, Armia and Morrissey offer.

And it is not like the Jets are rushing these guys in especially in contrast to how prospects were handled in Atlanta. Not one came onto the team straight from the draft. To date only one in his draft +2 year (Trouba), though Ehlers is a good bet. To date only one in their draft +3 year (Scheifele).

Now it looks like we have a wave ready. So why should we start getting cold feet about introducing them into the lineup? IMO the Jets are a conservative organization by nature. If they think some of their prospects are ready, I say bring them on because IMO that is they only way we will move to a brighter future.

Great post. I agree that we need to get some more skill and finish on the team to really contend. Let's hope that Ehlers, Morrissey and Armia can make quick transitions and that Scheifele and Trouba continue to progress.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
Great post. I agree that we need to get some more skill and finish on the team to really contend. Let's hope that Ehlers, Morrissey and Armia can make quick transitions and that Scheifele and Trouba continue to progress.

Don't forget Petan... He's the kind of player who will make his linemates better, no matter who they are.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I'm all for a youth movement, even if it means a slight step back this season. Bring in some skill early and let them develop through the season. It worked well with Lowry, and now he's ready to take another step forward.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Morrissey will start in AHL. I dont see who they could move in defense.

They're going to have to move some. Can't keep 10. It only needs 1 more to make room for Morrissey or will he have to wait till Stuart retires?

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Ladd - Little - Ehlers
Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler
Petan - Lowry - Stafford
Burmistrov - Copp - Thorburn

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice

Yeah I like this post :yo:

Can't have cold feet, that is sure :shakehead a sign of weakness on the Jets management if they do that. They keep saying draft and develop and this is the start of the wave :D

Can't always be safe and a middle bubble team. Gotta take a leap one way or another. Best time to do it while Ladd, Little, Wheeler and Buff are at their prime :handclap: Bring on the the young guns!

Youngstown Tourney coming up, GO JETS GO!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg

I don't think there would be many who would be disappointed in a youth movement, even if it means a step backwards for a year. It would be fun watching the development.

It was painfully obvious that we were just lacking a small piece of the puzzle to beat the Ducks last year in the first round. We were very competitive against a very good team, but we didn't have the quickness and skill that the Ducks had. I think these rookies can provide that piece to go with the already developed team that we have.

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
When reflecting on last year's relative success to other years, a few things come to mind. Goal tending, better coaching. But for me it was about injecting 3 new young players (Trouba Schief Lowry) into prominent roles. Taking ice time from Jokinen Setogucci and [insert plug defenceman] and giving it to more talented and faster players was a difference maker. If 3 new young players are added this year (let's say Ehlers Burmistrov Armia) than I see reason for another step forward. If they successfully replace the spots left by Tlusty Stempniak and Slater than the Jets just got faster and more talented, and in a long term sustainable way.

post script: Too bad about Frolik would have been nice to keep him

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I don't think there would be many who would be disappointed in a youth movement, even if it means a step backwards for a year. It would be fun watching the development.

It was painfully obvious that we were just lacking a small piece of the puzzle to beat the Ducks last year in the first round. We were very competitive against a very good team, but we didn't have the quickness and skill that the Ducks had. I think these rookies can provide that piece to go with the already developed team that we have.

As happy as I am that we are HOPEFULLY going to go a little more into the youth movement this year (we'll see if that actually is the case once the season starts), I must disagree that we were lacking vs the Ducks in the playoffs.

Firstly, we were so banged up (injuries) & tired from not using our 4th line all year, that we had all the built in excuse we needed. Anyone who says that Ladd, Buff, Enstrom or even Trouba played terrible in that series just is being delusional to that fact.

Secondly, were we really outplayed? Yes we were swept, but we had the lead going into the third almost every game & I'll call our goaltending below average in that series. So to say they outplayed, outskated, or as you put it "outskilled & beat on quickness" isn't really true.

With decent goaltending, a little more confidence, a few more healthy bodies, and a couple more breaks, we would have given the Ducks more than they could handle.

Having said that, bring on Ehlers, bring on Petan, bring on Hellebuyck (can't happen fast enough)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011

I think you make some very good points. We have definitely handled our players better than the Thrasher organization has, following the mantra of draft and develop. Compared to Bogosian, Kane and Burmi who all made the team as 18 year olds, and probably lacked maturity as a consequence, we have had only Trouba force his way on to the team. Scheif was coached by a respected former Jet, and was given the physical development need through the Roberts camp. Lowry got a full season in the A, to work on all aspects of his game, before making the team, even though he was probably ready as a 20 year old, at least physically. Morrissey, it appears is going to get to start in the A. Petan and/or Copp may as well.

The problem I have with rushing the youth to provide more skill, is that we may stray from the recipe which has worked well for other d&d teams, like Detroit and Nashville. First in demoting tweeners, who are waiver-eligible, we risk losing them to waivers, thus depleting the talent pool as a whole, whereas it will do no harm whatsoever to have players like Copp, Petan, Armia, etc. to develop their professional skills, with more playing time and responsibility (like Lowry). I think we can boast this year, a couple of potential tweeners on ELC (Armia and Lipon), which is a good predicament. If we are a true d&d team, like Detroit, we would ideally like our players to make the club, overripe, which is something we have not be able to do to date, as we inherited a franchised whose cupboards were pretty bare. I also don't think that skill is necessarily our problem. We outplayed the Stanley Cup champions last year, and a big reason was our physical edge, trying to be more finesse, when our style clearly worked seems like a step in the wrong direction. One of the reason we lost to Anaheim is that they were more physical than us.

I'd be happy if two of our rookies made the team.

I am hoping for a top 9 of

Ladd-Little-Petan/Ehlers
Perrault-Scheif-Wheeler
Lowry-Burmi-Stafford

I would prefer Petan to Ehlers because he is more responsible defensively and a better option for special teams (PP), essentially replacing Frolik. I also have a mindset that as a 19 year old it is highly unlikely Ehlers dominates. I look at Filip Forsberg as a comparable player, and he played a full season in the A before making an impact. I have been wrong before, but I am more cautious than most when discussing Ehlers.

4th line could be interesting. On paper it looks like Fraser/Halischuk-Copp/Cormier-Thorburn, with Peluso getting into games against nastier teams like St. Louis and Colorado. If Thorburn is used at LW, which I don't like the idea of, maybe Armia steps up. But I look at Armia's stats with the Ice Caps last year, and I am not sure he is the answer. I think JC Lipon might be just as good of an option, especially since he played LW last year. If it is Copp-Thorburn, I would like to see Stempniak get a chance at least with a PTO, because as an overall player, he would be an upgrade to Fraser and Halischuk, capable of playing not only on a 4th line, but on a 3rd as well, and producing. Neither Fraser or Hali have shown that ability.

The other thing to consider, is not just skill, but roles. Having a glut of offensive players is great, but really where are they going to factor in to the roughly 1/4 of the game that is played by special teams players. There is maybe room for one PP player. Are we going to use all our best players on the PK? Burmi-Lowry, Ladd-Little, Scheif-Wheeler? Blocking shots in today's NHL is a good way to get injured, so we risk losing our stars to yeoman's work. If Maurice wants to rest his stars for more productive ice time, then guys like Lipon and Cormier, maybe Hali too (Stemp as well), become relevant players, for being the grunts that battle in the trenches.

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
I wonder if we might see Maurice go a bit unconventional with more even balance across 4 lines and a high tempo pressure game style. His system really is suited to that, as is his roster. The fly in the ointment is his fascination with playing tough guys like Thorbs and Peluso.

Every roster that is posted that includes Thorburn makes me cringe. It would be so much better without him.

SLAYER

Cilantro Connoisseur
Oct 26, 2012
Winnipeg
Every roster that is posted that includes Thorburn makes me cringe. It would be so much better without him.

Mine included Scoreburn because I truly believe that PoMo will slot him in as a regular on the 4th line.... not that I really want him there (rather he be pressbox fodder), but it could be worse?

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
A lot of people are penciling in Copp as the 4C. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they went Cormier.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
A lot of people are penciling in Copp as the 4C. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if they went Cormier.

And who's the 3rd man on that line? Does Chevy's 'youth movement' really mean Cormier and Hali plus 1 rookie in the top 9? Good grief, I hope not!

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Cormier will not play any major time with the big team this season.
I expect Thorbs/Peluso and maybe Hali to take up one spot on the 4th line.
Who knows which players fill out the team...

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
And who's the 3rd man on that line? Does Chevy's 'youth movement' really mean Cormier and Hali plus 1 rookie in the top 9? Good grief, I hope not!

Can't see Cormier getting much time at all. I see him primarily as a Moose veteran. Too many skilled prospects have passed him by. IMO he may find his way to the big club as an injury call up, but can't see more than a hand full of games. Hali IMO will get approx same usage as last season. If everyone is healthy Hali joins Peluso in the pressbox.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad