Line Combos: 15/16 forward lines

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
How about....

Ladd-Little-Stafford

(Ladd and Little can carry a line, and Stafford can play at their pace. This line would be tough along the walls in the O-zone, but might drive me insane on break-outs with Ladd and Staff).

Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler

(Zooooommmmm!)

Perreault-Lowry-Burmi

(Could dominate most 3rd lines with aggressive forechecking and dynamite defensive and possession games. Perreault gets to be the sniper on the line).

Petan-Copp-Armia

(You want a youth movement? No way Thorbs sits, and no way that Maurice plays and all-rookie line, but I wouldn't be surprised if this line didn't hold its own by mid-season. Petan and Copp are smart defensively, and Armia is a big, smart player).

I'd love that fourth line but agree that it won't happen. I can't help but think how much more I'd like our roster without Thor. To me he just seems to be there.

NBjet

May 24, 2014
Still can't see a better line-up than:

Little - Ladd - Wheeler
Perrault - Scheifele - Ehlers
Burmi - Lowry - Stafford
Petan - Copp - Armia

Enstrom - Trouba
Morrissey - Myers
Chariot - Buff

Hutch
Pav

It won't happen at out of the gate, but if it evolves to that by the end of the season, that is one formidable line-up!

PS - it would be nice if Hellie got a chance, but I think that an injury will be required to have that happen this season.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
LLW
Perreault - Scheif - Stafford
Ehlers - Lowry - Armi
Burmi - Copp - Thorburn

Looks like I'm the only one who sees Armia in the top nine. That forces Burmi to the 4th line who would move up if any of the top nine are injured.

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
I'm expecting (and hoping for)...

Ladd - Little - Stafford
Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Lowry - Burmistrov
Armia - Copp - Thorburn

Halischuk and Peluso as the black aces.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I'm expecting (and hoping for)...

Ladd - Little - Stafford
Perreault - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Lowry - Burmistrov
Armia - Copp - Thorburn

Halischuk and Peluso as the black aces.

I wouldn't call them aces. Black marks okay, or liabilities, deficiencies, inadequacies, rubbish...

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I will go with

Perrault-Scheif-Wheeler
Ladd-Little-Stafford
Lowry-Burmistrov-Thorburn
Ehlers-Petan-Halischuk/Peluso (I think Ehlers gets a look like Scheif did)

to start the season, at least.

Fraser-Copp-Armia as the top line of the Moose, who could become the 4th as the season evolves (likely with Thorburn in Fraser's place), with Petan moving up with Little-Ladd, Stafford moving down with Burmi-Lowry, and Ehlers being sent back to juniors after 9 games of pro experience.

Last edited:

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ladd-Little-Perrault
Burmistrov-Lowry-Stafford
Peluso-Halischuk-Thorburn

Think we should trade some guys to free up Petan. Tough decision.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
I will post 2 options, in order of how I want to see it:

Ladd- Little- Wheeler
Perreault- Scheifele- Stafford
Ehlers- Lowry- Burmistrov
Hali- Copp- Thorburn
Peluso

Option 2:

Ladd- Little- Stafford
Ehlers- Scheifele- Wheeler
Burmi- Lowry- Stafford
Hali- Copp- Thorburn
Peluso

Ladd, and Little can essentially go with anyone (Stafford, Wheeler, Perreault, Burmi) Maybe putting someone like Stafford there can be good to lessen having a line that gets owned in our own zone.

All we know pretty well for sure is:
Ladd- Little-
-Scheifele-
- Lowry-

The rest can all be played with between, Wheeler, Stafford, Perreault, Burmistrov, Ehlers/ Armia/ Petan

Also is everyone else having the same thinking as me that if we lose a top 9 player to injury we need to call up and give top 9 minutes to Petan/ Ehlers/ Armia whoever is down in the AHL. I like our top 9 but IMO our depth is weak, and 1-2 top 6 injuries and that could be our season. I love a bit of youth, but I feel Chevy made a big mistake not bringing back a proven top 9 player in Stempniak

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
I will post 2 options, in order of how I want to see it:

Ladd- Little- Wheeler
Perreault- Scheifele- Stafford
Ehlers- Lowry- Burmistrov
Hali- Copp- Thorburn
Peluso

Option 2:

Ladd- Little- Stafford
Ehlers- Scheifele- Wheeler
Burmi- Lowry- Stafford
Hali- Copp- Thorburn
Peluso

Ladd, and Little can essentially go with anyone (Stafford, Wheeler, Perreault, Burmi) Maybe putting someone like Stafford there can be good to lessen having a line that gets owned in our own zone.

All we know pretty well for sure is:
Ladd- Little-
-Scheifele-
- Lowry-

The rest can all be played with between, Wheeler, Stafford, Perreault, Burmistrov, Ehlers/ Armia/ Petan

Also is everyone else having the same thinking as me that if we lose a top 9 player to injury we need to call up and give top 9 minutes to Petan/ Ehlers/ Armia whoever is down in the AHL. I like our top 9 but IMO our depth is weak, and 1-2 top 6 injuries and that could be our season. I love a bit of youth, but I feel Chevy made a big mistake not bringing back a proven top 9 player in Stempniak

I agree with option 2. With Option 1, I don't think Coach Maurice puts Bumri and rookie Ehlers on the same line. Option 2 spreads the experience around more, for what that's worth.

I bet it's been discussed, but even with a "youth movement", why not sign Stempniak to a one year deal? There's no such thing as a bad one year signing.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
more like a seasonal average...it is only a guess....no calculus applied.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
ATLbound - what happened to Perreault in your 2nd scenario?

Edit: ah, you've got Stafford listed twice - I'm assuming Perreault is one of those Stafford entries.

PhilJets

Winnipeg is Good
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhere nice
Ladd Little Wheeler. (Plays against the best of the best - head to head. They can hold their own)

Perrault Schiefele Ehlers (offense offense offense)

Burmistrov Lowry Stafford (if LLW was just on the ice, they are the next group for Dzone match up)

Lemiuex Petan Armia ( yeah 10-12 minutes of head to head against other teams 4th line at home games)

Thorburn 13th player
COPP first call up

Enstrom Buff
Myers Trouba ( they are D pairing if Lowrys line in the Dzone match up)
Stuart Postma
Chairot

MORRISSEY first call up

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I would just be seconding someones picks, so I won't, but it's striking me that we have some serious depth now! Compare any of these lines with what we started with.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would just be seconding someones picks, so I won't, but it's striking me that we have some serious depth now! Compare any of these lines with what we started with.

I agree. It wasn't that long ago that many were lamenting the lack of forward depth. It's true that the Jets' forward depth is mostly young and unproven, but there seems to be a lot of promising options that will be available this season.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010

I agree. It wasn't that long ago that many were lamenting the lack of forward depth. It's true that the Jets' forward depth is mostly young and unproven, but there seems to be a lot of promising options that will be available this season.

Agreed. PoMo really has his work cut out for him, there seem to be quite a few options.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto

Just as an example, let's take mcpw's line-up from the opening post, and use that to compare:

Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Scheifele-Stafford
Burmistrov-Lowry-Ehlers
Thorburn-Copp-Armia

vs. an example line-up from the 1st year (16th game of that year):

Ladd - Little - Wheeler
Kane - Antropov - Burmistrov
Glass - Slater - Wellwood
McArdle - Stapleton - Thorburn

I actually don't mind the 1st and 2nd lines, but other than Welly, the 3rd and 4th lines are complete and utter trash. The first line-up would beat the 2nd line-up in a series quite handily, methinks. Lots for the coaching staff to figure out, and it's not a given that Copp, Ehlers, and Armia will all make the team, but I quite like the make-up of that line-up.

Say What

Building a Legacy 4/28/96 Never again!!
Jan 18, 2015
Ladd Little Wheeler
Petan Scheifele Stafford
Perreault Lowry Burmistrov
Thorburn Copp Armia

Halischuk/Cormier

Enstrom Byfuglien
Myers Trouba
Stuart Clitsome (solid 3rd pairing D-man, if healthy. Can play right side)

Chiarot/Pardy

Hutchinson
Pavelec

I feel Petan is the most NHL ready prospect we have, and will make the top six because of his creativity and pure skill level. Perreault is probably a better choice there, but has shown to be versatile enough to move around the lineup.

If Halischuk could play Left side, I'd rather him on the 4th than Thorburn.
Hutchinson should prove to be the starter after Pre-season is done. Otherwise IMO, he may have regressed or plateaued even further.

I see Ehlers chance at making this team, dependant on him knocking Burmi & Armia down the depth chart. That would put Burmistrov on the 4th line and Armia on the Moose (I'm not holding my breath).
I think he plays for the Moose......Oops, the Mooseheads. ;)

Last edited:

EastRiver

Jul 1, 2012
Canada
Still can't see a better line-up than:

Little - Ladd - Wheeler
Perrault - Scheifele - Ehlers
Burmi - Lowry - Stafford
Petan - Copp - Armia

Enstrom - Trouba
Morrissey - Myers
Chariot - Buff

Hutch
Pav

It won't happen at out of the gate, but if it evolves to that by the end of the season, that is one formidable line-up!

PS - it would be nice if Hellie got a chance, but I think that an injury will be required to have that happen this season.

I like this one to. Garret what's your predicted lineup. I remember liking the predicted lineup you made last year.

ulf

Sep 21, 2002
sandy hook
Visit site
Just a different line-up, another possibility.

Ladd-Schief-Wheeler
Petan-Little-Stafford
Perreault-Burmi-Armia
Copp/Lowry-Ehlers
Thor/Hali/Peluso

I'm trying to protect Schief and feel Little can cover a very talented Petan and some of Staffords weaknesses.

Most talented bottom six in the leaque, coach just has to use them.

Defensive pairings????

Jetabre

Electric Ehlers
May 22, 2014
Winterpeg
My personal conclusion:
Ladd-Little-Wheeler
Perreault-Scheifele-Stafford
Burmistrov-Lowry-Ehlers
If Ehlers is good, switch him with Stafford.
Do NOT dismantle LLW. Only think about that if Ehlers is trending for a Calder trophy run.

Your thoughts?

Oh, and my fourth line would be Thorburn-Copp-Armia.

Exactly what I'd go with.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Ladd Little Wheeler ~18 minutes
Perrault Scheifele Stafford ~18 minutes
Burmi Lowry Armia ~14 minutes
Thorburn Petan Ehlers ~10 minutes

Enstrom-Myers ~24 minutes
Buff-Trouba ~24 minutes
Stu/Chiarot-Postma ~12 minutes

How good could buff and Trouba be together? Buff still has 3-4 good years in him easily.

My crystal ball says Buff and Ladd are re-signed because anyone with a calculator can figure out that we CAN afford them both AND re-sign Scheifele, Trouba and Lowry.

Morrissey gets called up before the All Star Break and because of injury, Helle gets called up before Christmas.

Maurice tried that many times last year and they were a tire fire every single time. Like just atrocious. It costed us games.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Ladd Little Wheeler ~18 minutes
Perrault Scheifele Stafford ~18 minutes
Burmi Lowry Armia ~14 minutes
Thorburn Petan Ehlers ~10 minutes

Enstrom-Myers ~24 minutes
Buff-Trouba ~24 minutes
Stu/Chiarot-Postma ~12 minutes

How good could buff and Trouba be together? Buff still has 3-4 good years in him easily.

My crystal ball says Buff and Ladd are re-signed because anyone with a calculator can figure out that we CAN afford them both AND re-sign Scheifele, Trouba and Lowry.

Morrissey gets called up before the All Star Break and because of injury, Helle gets called up before Christmas.

My calculator says maybe we can and maybe we can't. Partly it depends on how well Scheifele and Trouba play and how large are the raises they earn as a result.

For the '16/'17 season at the low end, assuming we get Ladd and Buff relatively cheaply and that we give Scheifele and Trouba bridge deals we spend ~68 mil. That also assumes that all the expiring contracts are replaced by prospects on ELCs.

At the higher end we pay Ladd and Buff somewhat higher and lock up both Scheifele and Trouba long term. Hutchinson and Lowry also get larger raises. Everything else is the same. We spend ~76 mil. There are possibilities in between, Lowry earns the bigger raise but Hutch does not. We sign Trouba long term and give Scheif a bridge deal, etc but my guessing still puts us at ~74 mil as a likely number.

It is pretty hard to project the cap but ~72 mil could be close.

The thing is not simply that signing both cannot be done. It can. But we are then forced to do some other things that we may not want to do, like bridge deals for Scheif and Trouba instead of locking them up long term. Maybe we trade Stafford and/or Perreault to make room to lock up both Scheif and Trouba. It becomes a continual balancing act just to stay under the cap. The next year Perreault, Stafford and Pavelec expire so we get some relief, maybe. Also expiring at the same time are Burmi, Postma, Chiarot, Copp, Hellebuyck and a few others. There goes the savings. The year after that there are a bunch more including some that are going to need big raises, like Ehlers, Petan and Morrissey.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
My calculator says maybe we can and maybe we can't. Partly it depends on how well Scheifele and Trouba play and how large are the raises they earn as a result.

For the '16/'17 season at the low end, assuming we get Ladd and Buff relatively cheaply and that we give Scheifele and Trouba bridge deals we spend ~68 mil. That also assumes that all the expiring contracts are replaced by prospects on ELCs.

At the higher end we pay Ladd and Buff somewhat higher and lock up both Scheifele and Trouba long term. Hutchinson and Lowry also get larger raises. Everything else is the same. We spend ~76 mil. There are possibilities in between, Lowry earns the bigger raise but Hutch does not. We sign Trouba long term and give Scheif a bridge deal, etc but my guessing still puts us at ~74 mil as a likely number.

The thing is not simply that signing both cannot be done. It can. But we are then forced to do some other things that we may not want to do, like bridge deals for Scheif and Trouba instead of locking them up long term. Maybe we trade Stafford and/or Perreault to make room to lock up both Scheif and Trouba. It becomes a continual balancing act just to stay under the cap. The next year Perreault, Stafford and Pavelec expire so we get some relief, maybe. Also expiring at the same time are Burmi, Postma, Chiarot, Copp, Hellebuyck and a few others. There goes the savings. The year after that there are a bunch more including some that are going to need big raises, like Ehlers, Petan and Morrissey.

We have 40.5m signed for 2016-2017. How does it go to 76m?
14.5 for Ladd and Buff and 2.5 for Lowry, 4.5 for Scheif and 6 for Trouba still leaves us at 68m.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville

I just can't see this organization wanting to walk a tight rope of just staying under the cap for years to come. Not their style at all.

We've got a bunch of prospects that should be coming up & demanding decent paychecks as their ELCs expire. Given that, I can see us giving Ladd 5-6 more years because as he declines he should remain useful in some capacity.

Buff is often a liability already -- giving him an Extra 4 is a big gamble already far from 5-6. If they do, just hope its for <6 mil, and a front heavy contract with few limits to trade him down the road should they need the cap room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad