Post-Game Talk: #15 - 11/06/18 | canadiens @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Allan92

Jan 2, 2016
Meath
I feel so good about hockey again, this is ironically my favourite season since the PT win a couple of years ago and it's not even meant to be good

Reactions: egelband

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I`m not surprised with the win streak recently - MTL might start losing after this game and kind of over achieved beginning of this season. Hayes figure it out in this game and his season best while Pionk and DeAngelo scoring from the blueline, and Skjei with another assist.
Slowly but surely our defenseman are becoming a great deal of our offense, especially with ADA on the ice. Shatty has 3, just 3 assists in 14 gp. He really needs to be the one to go ADA or Neal are a younger Shatty......and much cheaper.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
When Staal launched Gallagher, I had such a **** eating grin on my face
Marc had an amazingly strong and very physical game. Seems to be a lot more teaching going on than we know about. Maybe Marc has heard whispers of getting taken out of the lineup. Shatty was, so why not Marc? Maybe theyre telling him to be more physical or simply his own light went off in his head that he has to be a better leader, and bringing some tuffness to the table a part of that leadership thing.
Whichever the case, I had that same smile and he was involved all over the ice with those inbetween whistles thing that AV wanted no part of. This aint AV show any longer and Quinnie likes the team comraderie of it all.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
From a selfish standpoint I dont want him to go sooner. In fact I really dont think that it is a given. Maybe I am in denial, and def in the minority, but something tells me he isnt going anywhere. Sometimes the obvious, isnt so obvious. Hard to believe that all of a sudden we have a glut of good centers.
I honestly get the impression that Hayes would like to stay with the Rangers. The big question is how much of a discount, on both cap hit and duration, he's willing to take.

If he's willing to take 6x6, I give it to him. If he's looking for north of $7M on a long-term deal, you trade him. Dollar figures aren't necessarily the most important thing to every player. Sure, they want a salary comparable to their peers in the league, but not every guy is looking to milk that extra $1M AAV out of a deal. If the organization provides a good environment that the players like to be in, guys can and will sign for less. Are the Rangers that kind of organization? I don't know about the culture, but I know they put a ton of money into facilities and accommodations for their players. They've never been a stingy organization.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Tell you what you build winners with centers goalies and imo right side dmen because they’re so hard to find.

Granted I’m the biggest proponent that you don’t win anything without elite players and I do think we still lack them, We’ve got some good pieces here already for sure.

I just really was hoping for a top center in this draft. I think we need that guy.

Panarin will come with this team showing life instead of being a doormat though.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
As much as I like Hayes you can’t keep him. He’s too valuable in a trade and you already are building your team with 3 top center prospects. You gotta make room for them.

Hayes should bring back a first and a legit wing prospect. Anything less makes no sense for us. Wait till someone gives it to you

Reactions: bl02 and jas

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I was thinking this the other day. It used to be that if we scored 1 goal on him that would be a lot. The last few years we've scored 4 and 5. It's amazing how he flamed out. He was one of the best goalies of all time for a few years and now it's prety ordinary. As much as I've *****ed at him, makes you appreciate Lundqvist.

Price is a shell of himself, but bad D in front of him has not helped him either. Lundqvist has certainly regressed a little, but he still can win games for this team game in and game out. Price used to be able to do that on a game by game basis but it's rare now. Then there is Jonathan Drouin hated him when he was in Tampa, and hate him even more in Montreal. Overrated is an understatement when it comes to him. Anyway, like someone said I think above, it's always nice to beat Montreal.

Webster

Zucc's buddy
Sponsor
Nov 7, 2017
I remember last season when everyone wanted Zucc traded and thought he would be the first to go at TDL. He ended up staying and led the team in regular season points for the 4th time in his career. Zucc is one of the best players on the rangers and has been for many years. He's a great example for the younger players: an undrafted player from an under-represented country defying the odds (and his height) to achieve consistent success in the NHL. On top of that, shorter players have a durable reputation in the league and he's certainly showing no signs of slowing down. I expect him to play for another 5-9 more years with the rangers

The Zucc haters here don't want to hear it ;)

Perhaps not 9 years, but it's too early to rule out a contract extension.

Anyway, the Rangers are taking a beating in Norwegian media these days. One of the most experienced hockey journalists over there who lived several years in NYC really calls them out for a disrespectful treatment of Zuccarello. A long but very interesting article.

Allow the Microsoft translator a few secs to do it's job..
www.nettavisen.no/sport/vintersport/respektls-behandling-av-mats-zuccarello-i-new-york/3423554374.html - Translator

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
So am I the first one to come out with the "told you so" on Shatty? I was totally against signing him no matter what. I said we had ADA, and we needed to play him. Well, here we are, now discussing how we need to get rid of Shatty since we have multiple younger versions of him that are playing better.

Sorry, I am hardly every right, so I had to be all told you so here. :)

You act like that's a problem. What I see is an opportunity.......to see what we can get back moving Shattenkirk. Not signing him we wouldn't get anything back for him.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Right where we need to be. out of the playoffs, picking 10th.

3HrlWZ4.jpg

It is what it is.

This season will be a nightmare if we keep tabs on this all the time.

Believe me I have my moments of thinking this way but we can't enjoy the games with this mindset.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia

Anyway, the Rangers are taking a beating in Norwegian media these days. One of the most experienced hockey journalists over there who lived several years in NYC really calls them out for a disrespectful treatment of Zuccarello. A long but very interesting article.

www.nettavisen.no/sport/vintersport/respektls-behandling-av-mats-zuccarello-i-new-york/3423554374.html - Translator
I love Zucc just as much as the next guy, but if you can't see that he has been subpar to this point, then you are delusional

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Price is a shell of himself, but bad D in front of him has not helped him either. Lundqvist has certainly regressed a little, but he still can win games for this team game in and game out. Price used to be able to do that on a game by game basis but it's rare now. Then there is Jonathan Drouin hated him when he was in Tampa, and hate him even more in Montreal. Overrated is an understatement when it comes to him. Anyway, like someone said I think above, it's always nice to beat Montreal.

Drouin is a scary thought to me. He was so highly touted and the #3 pick overall. I guess you just never know.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Two young RHD showing promise. If Shatty would play to expectations, the whole right side would be looking pretty solid.
Am I the only one who thinks that Shatty has been pretty solid for a while now?

He hasn't been putting up points but he's been defending in his zone pretty well and making smart plays in transition. I really don't see him as playing poorly at all. He's not on PP1 but his unit PP2 has been the better power play unit easily the last number of games. Maybe time to swap him back up to PP1 to QB it and drop Pionk down to PP2 with TDA and they can blast away?

Reactions: Blue Blooded
Dec 9, 2009
New York City
Tell you what you build winners with centers goalies and imo right side dmen because they’re so hard to find.

Granted I’m the biggest proponent that you don’t win anything without elite players and I do think we still lack them, We’ve got some good pieces here already for sure.

I just really was hoping for a top center in this draft. I think we need that guy.

Panarin will come with this team showing life instead of being a doormat though.

There's still hope for Dach/Cozens.

Never really saw Hughes as realistic. Too much luck involved.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Drouin is a scary thought to me. He was so highly touted and the #3 pick overall. I guess you just never know.

He was a kid I just never really saw it with.

Sometimes you look at a player and it feels like the rest of the world loves them, while you sit there and scratch your head.

When I saw him, I always felt like he looked like the type of kid who would pop in 20 goals and 50 points, but never really be "the guy" on his line.

RonaldNeptune

Nov 13, 2017
Not only has DeAngelo played really well and his pairing with Skjei looked really good, but I just think he's a hilarious player between the whistles. Literally every break in the action he's jawing at someone or slashing someone's legs and trying to goad someone into something. He's Avery like in that way. Plus anytime something goes down when he's on the ice, he's the first one to throw himself into the fray.

He might be small but he definitely doesn't care. He's like a human version of an annoying yappy dog that won't leave you alone and keeps nipping at you. I really like it.

Jersey kid who parents are from Philly I believe! I used to drive the Zamboni at Hollydell Ice Arena in College. Johhny Guadrea's father was and still is the hockey director there I believe. I remember a couple Deangelos coming through there, most were a couple years behind Johnny so I wouldn't be surprised if he was one of them in the squirt-bantam range. Johnny and his father definitely influenced hockey in that area for a short span.

You wouldn't know it based on Johnny but his dad is a hard ass to his players, although I don't think he ever had to be that way with Johnny. Deangelo may have picked up that attitude some from him along the way.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I've always liked Hayes and I think his play has gotten better year to year and better this year. I like his skill set.

Is there no room or reason to build WITH him? Or is he massively redundant with younger players who can do what Hayes can do.
I for one, feel like he is just "seriously touching" his potential that hes always had. I think Hayes really likes our coach (same college, right) anyway theres some kind of connection and maybe Quinnie has really gotten through to Hayes and bringing him UP to another level that AV could never do. This is why I didnt want to part with JT, feeling he just needed a better coach, a new voice that didnt bench him every time he made a bonehead play. Needing someone he liked and respected.
As much as I would HATE to lose Kevin, seems like it has to be done, for the sake of what they're trying to accomplish. Just would prefer its done very close to deadline. Raise his value even more and allow him to promote winning. Trade him too soon, we certainly will lose more often. Been a solid 2 way player.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Hayes is one of those players who I either feel is substantially undervalued, or substantially over-valued depending on who you ask.

I think he's a good player who plays an important role on the team.

But I've always felt like that a lot of the praise is centered on those times when the attributes come together in a more exciting fashion and we start to view him as being a bit more than what he is.

Reactions: Thirty One

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
I thought for sure we were getting Montreal'd after that bull**** hooking penalty to Vesey.

Thank goodness for Neal "I got this" Pionk

People in the blue seats with me were f***ing livid after that call, we're the ones who started that "ass hole" chant, and I think it worked because price didn't even move on that Pionk goal LOL

Reactions: NCRanger

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Our center position is pretty loaded up to re up a guy looking for north of 6 mill for 7 years(my guess) who will end up on the 3rd line or lower. I like him, I think he will be missed but with Zib, Chytil, Anderson and Howden likely to be the future of our center depth I cant see us keeping him.
We all do realize that there is no guarantee that any one of those 3 will ever be as good as Kevin.....right? We are all thinking they will be......and hoping. Still say that Kevin is a very "unique" player, and also possesses that necessary quality of KNOWING where all of his teammates are on the ice. I dont believe any of them have that......not now anyway.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Hayes is an effective player and we will immediately miss him but we have a glut of centers and unless theres a reason to trade Zibanajad,Chytil Andersson, or Howden then the writing is on the wall. He does have a unique skill set and it seems as though the coach is getting through to him about shooting quicker but the way this roster is building we need wingers and not centers,especially at his price point.

TheGortonConspiracy

Wow its a nice GM
May 2, 2017
NYC

Great article thanks for sharing. I think a few users here could do with giving that a read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad