Post-Game Talk: #15 - 11/06/18 | canadiens @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Hes a 2nd line center who gets 50 points a year,he really isnt that hard to replace for NY with Howden already looking like he could do it and Chytil and Andersson on their way. I will ask this, where do you see him slotting into the lineup in 2 years? If you say 2nd line,that means this rebuild was a major flop and none of Howden, Chytil or Andersson are capable of hitting 50+points, if you say 3rd line or less he will be massively overpaid for a 3rd or 4th line guy and it also means one of the young guys needed to be traded. To trade him it's about more than making space, it's about filling out the roster with pieces we need and trading from our positional strength, ie center for wingers. I get what you are saying but he isnt an elite talent you can't replace.
Meh, the space isn't needed. The young c's we have now easily could take another 2 or 3 whole seasons before being ready for consistent top 6 c roles. Either they or hayes can shift to W at any point. Hayes has shifted many times. Having the flexibility to shift players in down periods of a season is great

Cap wise we're fine.

We have a massive exodus of money after the 2020 season, bridge deal options and easy trade or bury in the minors options in zucc and Smith to free up 8 mil.

Spooner and names can be traded easily too for another 8 mil in space

Last edited:

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I would totally agree with everything you said if he was a winger, we are low on winger depth in the organization but as it stands the teams log jam at center leaves Hayes as an expensive option compared to Howden andersson and Chytil. I like him but I think we are all a little to enamoured with our own players, he's a 50 point guy and we have options to replace that in house for a fraction of the cap hit. If in 2 years we are looking for a 50 point 2nd line center, trading Hayes will be the least of our organizational mistakes, it would mean Howden, Chytil and Andersson were all flops, something isnt likely. As I said before, this is like the Stepan trade, I liked him but it helped advance the rebuild and we ended up with 2 pieces we needed in Andersson and DeAngelo. If we could get a scoring winger out of Hayes in either a prospect or a draft pick it would fill one hole in the organizational depth chart.
Playing devils advocate here.......isnt that a bit of a gamble? Keeping Hayes and sliding one of (probably Chytil) to the wing, and you know there is always going to be injuries. What I am saying is......if things dont work out with those at center, then we just lost a solid center. Aaah, nevermind. Im being negative.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Not to mention need that money for Panarin to fill weakness on the wing a place we need more talent. We dont need to spend 6 mil on another center with the kids we have drafted and probably will draft in the summer

Reactions: jas

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Dumping Silfverberg was another stupid Senators trade, maybe they don't like Swedes any longer.

Oh, I forgot, they still have Pääjärvi... :sarcasm:
They traded the world for Duchene. When he barely was producing more than the guy the traded away.

They traded for brassard and through in a 2nd for no reason.

Reactions: 21

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
1. We have money to burn
2. Be healthy until deadline
3. Play like the BEAST the Rangers thought he was.

Just for the record......I recently saw a post from someone that stated he was strongly AGAINST this acquisition......I was as well, but backed down if it was at a discounted price.

My gut told me no, as he really didn't impress me "that much" and felt there was no need for him in the eventual direction that we were headed for.....but oh well, can't fight city hall.
The years may have been discounted. Not the price.

Having money to burn does not matter to teams trading for him. If he could be healtyh, I am sure he would. For him to play like a BEAST, you may be waiting a long time. Don't get me wrong. I would very much love if he did and then could be traded. Just have my doubts

Reactions: Larrybiv

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Playing devils advocate here.......isnt that a bit of a gamble? Keeping Hayes and sliding one of (probably Chytil) to the wing, and you know there is always going to be injuries. What I am saying is......if things dont work out with those at center, then we just lost a solid center. Aaah, nevermind. Im being negative.

Ya I get what you are saying but if all three of them become a bust we have a lot worse problems than losing Hayes I'd say. I'm comfortable that Howden is a player that could take the 2 spot now, and I think Andersson is atleast a #3 c, I'm hopeful Chytil can become a 2 or higher and we already have Zibanajad. Where I'm uncomfortable is on the wings. If we unload zuc Namestnicov and Spooner we really dont have a whole lot outside of Kravtsov to fill in those spots. For what it's worth I think Namestnicov is here until the next trade deadline, and he could possibly earn his stay here.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Ya I get what you are saying but if all three of them become a bust we have a lot worse problems than losing Hayes I'd say. I'm comfortable that Howden is a player that could take the 2 spot now, and I think Andersson is atleast a #3 c, I'm hopeful Chytil can become a 2 or higher and we already have Zibanajad. Where I'm uncomfortable is on the wings. If we unload zuc Namestnicov and Spooner we really dont have a whole lot outside of Kravtsov to fill in those spots. For what it's worth I think Namestnicov is here until the next trade deadline, and he could possibly earn his stay here.
Meh, keeping Hayes as a 2c/3c doesn't mean the ids flopped. It could also mean Hayes just took a major step forward and now we have a bunch of good players.

Not to mention need that money for Panarin to fill weakness on the wing a place we need more talent. We dont need to spend 6 mil on another center with the kids we have drafted and probably will draft in the summer
Eh, we could clear out that money by moving Spooner and Smith or Namestnikov.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
"An organization without class"? I can safely say that's something I've never heard said about the Rangers. By a reasonable person at least

Media in Europe either is very NY Times-ish or the complete opposite, completely tabloid-ish. Saw a reporter the other day (week) ask Elias Pettersson if he wanted to go back to Sweden now? after the hit he got form Matheson. A real lowball click bait question, you get a good headline no matter what the answer is. Elias just stonewalled him though which was pretty heady.

They need something to write about. Get to stay in NY a bit.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
And for that reason, I dont think that Names is a sure fire goner. He brings much more to the table than Spooner. Hes been much better lately and probably one of the hardest working Rangers. Getting sat, has done him well. Was a good wake up call. Sulk and you sit. Play hard and you play.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Lets not forget the cap is most likely going to push $90-100M in a few years ( after Seattle and new TV deal ). Locking up some key players long term, might be of great value. The timing works great for our own RFA's.

Hayes is a good player. I despise him when he passes up prime scoring opportunities but he's good at everything else. $5-6M is the new norm and could be of great value moving forward. In 2-3 years he could be a valuable trade chip, if needed.

Hayes and Panarin are possible if we drop dead weight like Spooner and Shattenkirk

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Lets not forget the cap is most likely going to push $90-100M in a few years ( after Seattle and new TV deal ). Locking up some key players long term, might be of great value. The timing works great for our own RFA's.

Hayes is a good player. I despise him when he passes up prime scoring opportunities but he's good at everything else. $5-6M is the new norm and could be of great value moving forward. In 2-3 years he could be a valuable trade chip, if needed.

Hayes and Panarin are possible if we drop dead weight like Spooner and Shattenkirk
Exactly. What we need is a good balance. Everyone wants to catapult everyone, not named Kreider and Zbad. Again, no guarantees these kids pan out to be BETTER than Hayes, and hell if worse came to worse.....Hayes could even play wing, but more likely one of the kids move. Why get rid of a known commodity when we coukd keep him to be one of the leaders down the road for a what could be a bargain with rising salaries. Unless blown away (and that could happen in a bidding war) then maybe we should keep him. All for the rebuild, but there is a fine line we shouldnt be crossing. May come a day we wish we still had him as he's accumulating 60 assists with accomplished scorers on his line.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
And for that reason, I dont think that Names is a sure fire goner. He brings much more to the table than Spooner. Hes been much better lately and probably one of the hardest working Rangers. Getting sat, has done him well. Was a good wake up call. Sulk and you sit. Play hard and you play.
He was overdue for a multi-point game. Though he's being used as our top C (I thought he would be long ago), it's because he does everything well. I don't know if he'll ever produce like, say, Stepan or Brassard, both of whom weren't top line Cs anyhow. Unless he keeps producing like that, there's a likelihood he'll get traded at the deadline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad