Prospect Info: 133rd overall: Vancouver selects Carson Focht (C, Calgary Hitmen)

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Other than Virtanen, I'm struggling to come up with a single player the Canucks have drafted out of the Dub who ever panned out. I suppose Woo has a shot, but has already fallen well behind a lot of the young d-men in the system; and Lind still has some upside I guess. And if you go way, back d-men like Sopel and Butcher at least played in the league.

But sadly if history is any guide, Focht will join a long line of WHL picks who never got signed after their junior careers were up.

It's not just the WHL. It's the entire CHL. Besides Horvat, there isn't anyone in the OHL who has panned out either, and we have used multiple first rounders on the OHL (Gaunce, Jensen, Juolevi). Can't even name any notibles from the Q besides Brisebois who is barely an NHLer. I don't really count McCann because they gave up on him before he turned 21.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
what kind of life does this jesse miller guy have that involves calling out a kid for posting hearts to a friend in trouble on social media.

Reactions: F A N

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
what kind of life does this jesse miller guy have that involves calling out a kid for posting hearts to a friend in trouble on social media.

prob a slightly bored one during this pandemic.

it's not really outrageous or new to call out stupidity on twitter.

and isn't that 3 prospects approving of this dummy's post?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It's not just the WHL. It's the entire CHL. Besides Horvat, there isn't anyone in the OHL who has panned out either, and we have used multiple first rounders on the OHL (Gaunce, Jensen, Juolevi). Can't even name any notibles from the Q besides Brisebois who is barely an NHLer. I don't really count McCann because they gave up on him before he turned 21.
So the fact that his kid is not signed, what are his plans for the season? Return for an overage season in the WHL? He hasn't gone over to Europe. So far, no contract from the Canucks. Is he not worth being an AHL body?

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
prob a slightly bored one during this pandemic.

it's not really outrageous or new to call out stupidity on twitter.

and isn't that 3 prospects approving of this dummy's post?

so do three late round unsigned prospects make a first rounder on twitter? because they don't do it as trade value. those kids don't have handlers advising them, and are far enough away from the nhl to be left alone.

whether it is done a lot or not, i think it is shitty to do it. i think it is a lot more important that kids get to be stupid kids unmolested then that we get to play gotcha.

Reactions: F A N

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
so do three late round unsigned prospects make a first rounder on twitter? because they don't do it as trade value. those kids don't have handlers advising them, and are far enough away from the nhl to be left alone.

whether it is done a lot or not, i think it is shitty to do it. i think it is a lot more important that kids get to be stupid kids unmolested then that we get to play gotcha.

yikes

that is literally the job of an agent (as the tweet outlined)

o_O

cc

Feb 28, 2002
on paper this is a weird use of a contract slot.
I'm surprised at this signing as well.
I doubt he's good enough to make the Utica team as a 13th forward. They must see some upside in him despite his unimpressive numbers

Belisarius

Mar 24, 2018
His WHL numbers are not good but I remember him being pretty good in last years preseason, it was likely just a flash in the pan though.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
on paper this is a weird use of a contract slot.

Seems okay to me; that only makes 44 contracts currently on the books. This is his 20YO season, when most junior guys would make the jump to pro, and the scouts and management think he has a chance. There's a dearth of depth at centre in the organization so might as well get him started and see what he can do.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Seems okay to me; that only makes 44 contracts currently on the books. This is his 20YO season, when most junior guys would make the jump to pro, and the scouts and management think he has a chance. There's a dearth of depth at centre in the organization so might as well get him started and see what he can do.
Who is in the ncaa that they would need to sign? Mcdonagh is likely the only one who they would even consider. So they should be ok for the season. Plenty of contracts come off the books after the season is done.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
Who is in the ncaa that they would need to sign? Mcdonagh is likely the only one who they would even consider. So they should be ok for the season. Plenty of contracts come off the books after the season is done.

Can't imagine that they would sign McDonough to an ELC that took effect in this season. Podkolzin is really the only guy currently in the organization that would get signed to a contract for this season, leaving five slots for whatever else they might want/need to do.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It may not mean much in the long-term, but the Canucks seem to be loading up on 'project centermen', with Focht being the latest. Costmar and Zlodoyev look to have some potential. And of course Michaelis, who's an older' prospect, is signed and competing for a spot with the Canucks.

If nothing else, the Canucks are slowly improving their center depth in their prospect pool, which has been a weakness for awhile now.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
They must see something in him. Not sure if he is a better option that an undrafted CHL/College/Euro forward for that contract slot.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad