Prospect Info: 133rd overall: Vancouver selects Carson Focht (C, Calgary Hitmen)

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Would have gone Marshall or Mutala here. While I do like Focht's rate of progression, he seems like a guy we could have gotten two rounds later.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Curious Melvin, who would the potato have picked at this point?

Not a fan of drafting overagers in general who aren't at least a PPG, but we'll see.

Top pick right now is Matthew Struthers, another CHL over-ager but one with 81 points last season.

Taking over-agers at this stage is actually pretty good value, but they should be playing professionally (e.g. drafted out of Liiga like Jere Innala) or putting up big point totals.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
Pretty sure we are drafting based on name similarity choices. Also our trades too. Benning thought J.T. was really P.K.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I suppose the question is whether Focht could have simply been signed but this way the Canucks don’t waste an ELC. Being an overager aside, I don’t mind this pick but I think there is some Brett McKenzie feel to this pick.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Focht had one massive stretch toward the end of the season where he had 21 points in 7 games. Otherwise had 43 points in 61 games as an overager.

Saw several Hitmen games this year but this wasn’t a player I focused on at all and barely remember - was mostly trying to watch Mark Kastelic and their horrible-skating 6’6 defender Jackson van de Leest. Seemed to me always to be a fungible ok overage WHL 2nd liner headed to CIS hockey. Odd pick so high in the draft. Will be interesting to see if those 7 games were forecasting a huge breakout next season.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I suppose the question is whether Focht could have simply been signed but this way the Canucks don’t waste an ELC. Being an overager aside, I don’t mind this pick but I think there is some Brett McKenzie feel to this pick.

I think that's probably the idea with Focht. Just tagging a guy so you don't have to burn a contract spot on him. But seemed high for a guy like him even then. Just hard to really get hyped about any of these dudes the Hitmen constantly just cycle through as overager types to beat up on some kids by experience rather than talent. Happens every year seems like. To post mediocre results overall at that age, on that team...without a lot to really set you apart toolkit-wise...ehhhh...weird pick.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think Focht likely earns a contract from the Canucks....which is lot more than you say for virtually any other WHL player the Canucks have drafted, particularly in later rounds. Other than maybe Kole Lind, for whatever reason the Dub has been a 'black hole' for the Canucks prospect pool.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Focht had 56 points (32-24) in 61 games with the Hitmen during a shortened 2019-20 WHL season, and the increase in production spoke of steady improvement in the late bloomer.

Not terribly impressive writing there from Kuzma. Focht's production was down from 18-19 both in terms of total production and points/game. And *way* down after a quick start in the first couple weeks of the season.

If he had been a 2018 draft pick and had the season he had, you don't waste a contract spot on him and there would be basically zero chance he's in Utica next year. It's nice to have another year to have a look and make a decision but I wouldn't have very high hopes.

Reactions: Luckylarry

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
i am guessing the friendly story means we are about to sign him.

seems like an ahl guy until he can show otherwise.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
i am guessing the friendly story means we are about to sign him.

seems like an ahl guy until he can show otherwise.

He looks to me like an ECHL guy until he can show otherwise. Like, he isn't even on the same planet as Kole Lind as a WHLer at the same age, and Lind was blown away by the AHL as a rookie. There is no standout skill at all that I can see with Focht that projects moving up levels.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
He looks to me like an ECHL guy until he can show otherwise. Like, he isn't even on the same planet as Kole Lind as a WHLer at the same age, and Lind was blown away by the AHL as a rookie. There is no standout skill at all that I can see with Focht that projects moving up levels.

well we are ahead of ourselves. i am just speculating he will be signed because of the story, not advocating it. i have spent approximately 1.5 hockey games watching him play and he has not stood out at all, bad or good as part of a team that can be summed up with that same description. if the canucks are signing him i think he would have to be a very long bet, and most likely just as a big enough character centre who might help in utica. it would not surprise me at all if his journey included the echl.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
in other news, stukel played 36 games for bakersfield last year as an echl call up. he was on a line with granlund for a while.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad