Prospect Info: 130th overall: Vancouver selects Toni Utunen (D, Tappara)

Rowlet

Sponsor
Oct 13, 2018
That would bave been clearly a huge and unreasonable reach. Don’t get me wrong, I like Utunen and like many here thought he was a good pick. But I think most would be pretty mad if the Canucks used a 2nd round pick to draft Utunen.

I also would have been upset at that, however apparently people in the world would not have

geebaan

7th round busted
Oct 27, 2012
I never really thought he was that good in the tournament, besides the goal tbh. Went to a lot of the games in Victoria and I don’t really see NHL upside.

Like always, hope I’m wrong though.

Reactions: Catbug

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
nah, there were people who had him as high as 2nd round

Nah. Calling bullshit. Show me one reputable list inside the top 100.

Hint: You can't.

Even his NHL Central Scouting ranking for International Players didn't crack the top 62 ffs.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I never really thought he was that good in the tournament, besides the goal tbh. Went to a lot of the games in Victoria and I don’t really see NHL upside.

Like always, hope I’m wrong though.

I thought he looked excellent in all of the elimination games, with his best game coming in the final.

He's simple but efficient. Max upside is a Tanev-like player, but that's still very useful.

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
He's listed on Hockey DB as 5'11" and 169...How many undersized d-men can one NHL team actually employ? Stecher is already here and Hughes is on the way.

He could earn a contract. But still a bubble prospect imo.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Do you (or anyone else) have ice-time stats? It'd be interesting to review Utunen's TOI over the course of the tournament.
I don't have ice-time stats per se, but he played in first pairing in the last two games because Ville Heinola got injured in the quarterfinals. So that's kind of "progress" if your glass is half full.

Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
I don't have ice-time stats per se, but he played in first pairing in the last two games because Ville Heinola got injured in the quarterfinals. So that's kind of "progress" if your glass is half full.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the detail.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
That just summarize the fallen of an empire

He was playing well and Chicago fans were quite happy with him and then his game has fallen off since then. Regardless, playing top 4 minutes and looking good at one point after the trade makes it seem like we didn’t “sell high” on Forsling, even if he has regressed since.

Teflon Jim

Apr 4, 2018
He was playing well and Chicago fans were quite happy with him and then his game has fallen off since then. Regardless, playing top 4 minutes and looking good at one point after the trade makes it seem like we didn’t “sell high” on Forsling, even if he has regressed since.
Every prospect flashes some kind of brilliance at one point in his career but where is he now after what five years is he a top 4 or bottom 4 d?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Went to Tappara's game against Lukko to see Utunen play. Tappara won 2-0, shots were roughly even 20+ to both. A "regular" game with few penalties. Pace wasn't either slow or fast, and the game was decided by Tappara scoring with their few good set up chances. Far enough from competitive NHL pace.

Toni was in the third pairing, up from being the 7th D that he was earlier before the u20 tournament. He had more defensive duties than offensive starts and rightfully so. He was effective throughout the game in keeping the play on the outside when the puck was being carried to Tappara's zone, and did his part in supressing the play. He had favorable matchups in most of his shifts but handled the play well without the puck even against Lukko's first line. Decent to good with positioning and in guarding his man. Needs time to mature physically in order to succeed when the pace of the game gets higher.

In the first period, after offensive face off wins, he made few giveaways or poor plays along the boards that ended in Tappara losing posession, and the play went to their end. That happened both under pressure and when he had a couple of seconds to decide what to do. He chose to toss the puck along the boards, without success, but always seemed to choose the most safe option and did not really panic.

He was a bit better in the second and almost mistake free in the third, but it is obvious that he needs to improve with his puckhandling and playmaking if he is to play first pairing minutes in Liiga. Carried the puck out, or dumped the puck effectively enough in the third period, in which he failed in the first two. Again, safe plays.

In the offensive rushes his line had, the play didn't cycle through him almost at all, but that was partially on his linemates. Tappara's bottom six was really ineffective as a whole. I counted him joining the rush or pinching in from the blue line twice but the play never reached him, even though he was nicely available for a pass.

No shots on goal, no playmaking passes in the offensive zone, no breakout passes or long first passes. Safe plays, safe shifts. Safe to say that it's going to take some years before he could be considered as an viable blueline option for the Canucks.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Utunen was always going to be a project. If he spends another year in Finland, then comes to North America to play in the AHL, that would be fine by me. I wouldn't trust anyone making firm calls about his projection so early in his development. The fact that he was captain of the U18 team gives me the confidence that he is a player who can improve year by year. I hope the Canucks are long on him.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Really starting to wonder about the relative strength of the top Finnish pro league. Palmu was 'rookie of the year' last year but basically flopped in Utica. Normally a teenager player in a men's pro league is a 'good sign' for the future. But this league seems really up and down in terms of generating talent.

This kid should have come to NA to test his skills in either the CHL or USHL. But still more likely he stays in Europe permanently and never comes over here.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
There are few good teams to be in, to develop as a player. Tappara is a good one, but Kärpät is the national gem in that regard. Their 2015 championship team, for example, had at least Aho, Donskoi and Mäenalanen if I recall.

Given Utunen's family background I wouldn't expect him to go overseas before he thinks he can realistically make the nhl team. Long term gamble as a prospect, as expected.

Shattered Dreams

Sep 30, 2017
Really starting to wonder about the relative strength of the top Finnish pro league. Palmu was 'rookie of the year' last year but basically flopped in Utica. Normally a teenager player in a men's pro league is a 'good sign' for the future. But this league seems really up and down in terms of generating talent.

This kid should have come to NA to test his skills in either the CHL or USHL. But still more likely he stays in Europe permanently and never comes over here.
The sad thing for Palmu is that his rookie season in Liiga happened during his 21-year-old season (he turns 22 this July). That's even worse from that perspective. And Palmu had three years in the CHL with Owen Sound. Simply put, he just wasn't any good in Utica.

I couldn't really say what's best for Utunen. He did look better on the international stage, so I don't know if loaning him to a CHL team would be the right option.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Went to Tappara's game against Lukko to see Utunen play. Tappara won 2-0, shots were roughly even 20+ to both. A "regular" game with few penalties. Pace wasn't either slow or fast, and the game was decided by Tappara scoring with their few good set up chances. Far enough from competitive NHL pace.

Toni was in the third pairing, up from being the 7th D that he was earlier before the u20 tournament. He had more defensive duties than offensive starts and rightfully so. He was effective throughout the game in keeping the play on the outside when the puck was being carried to Tappara's zone, and did his part in supressing the play. He had favorable matchups in most of his shifts but handled the play well without the puck even against Lukko's first line. Decent to good with positioning and in guarding his man. Needs time to mature physically in order to succeed when the pace of the game gets higher.

In the first period, after offensive face off wins, he made few giveaways or poor plays along the boards that ended in Tappara losing posession, and the play went to their end. That happened both under pressure and when he had a couple of seconds to decide what to do. He chose to toss the puck along the boards, without success, but always seemed to choose the most safe option and did not really panic.

He was a bit better in the second and almost mistake free in the third, but it is obvious that he needs to improve with his puckhandling and playmaking if he is to play first pairing minutes in Liiga. Carried the puck out, or dumped the puck effectively enough in the third period, in which he failed in the first two. Again, safe plays.

In the offensive rushes his line had, the play didn't cycle through him almost at all, but that was partially on his linemates. Tappara's bottom six was really ineffective as a whole. I counted him joining the rush or pinching in from the blue line twice but the play never reached him, even though he was nicely available for a pass.

No shots on goal, no playmaking passes in the offensive zone, no breakout passes or long first passes. Safe plays, safe shifts. Safe to say that it's going to take some years before he could be considered as an viable blueline option for the Canucks.

Great report! Thanks so much for the details.

Reactions: HelloCookie

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Palmu was 21/22, hardly a teenager

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Today was the first game of the playoffs and the tempo was way up from the snoozy game I previously attended to. Coincidentally it was again against Lukko so there was some comparisons to be made.

Utunen played in the 3rd pairing and in the 2nd pk squad in a strictly defensive role. He was up to the task and played with confidence. Good mistake-free hockey against whoever, and usually his shifts ended when they cleared the puck or the forward group went to counter attack. He kept the play outside on rushes, kept his check near the crease, stripped the puck off the opposition in corners, and threw in one block and two successful body checks as well. He either tied the puck battles or won them, and I counted him losing only twice which forced their goalie to make a save. Drew a key penalty in the last minute that helped them ensure the 3-2 win by being first to the puck.

Secondly, two of his three offensive shifts (where he actually had the puck) started from their own end and during those he wristed the puck from the blue line, through the traffic for tips. One was tipped slightly wide and one went through everyone and hit the post. The third was a rink wide pass that had little mustard to it and got intercepted. His puck moving and shooting ability hasn't improved in these two months, as far as this sample size is to be judged.

In my eyes he has solidified the third pairing this season and does well with the ice time he gets. If he can get his puck moving, passing, and shooting abilities to the same level next season he'll be a good top4 for Tappara.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Every year in the later rounds the Canucks throw darts at the draft dart board, trying to find a d-man who might develop. But like Neill, Olson, Stewart, Gunnarson and now Brassard......none of them pan out. The only guy who did work out--Forsling-- they traded to the Hawks for another project d-man in Clendening. So don't have high for hopes for Utunen, who's undersized and brings little offense to the table.

Curiously, the Canucks have had better luck signing UFA d-men out of junior and college ranks. Sautner, Chatfield, Tanev and McEneny among others. And have added Eliot and Teves this season.

So clearly they should steer clear of d-man in late rounds and load up with smaller, skilled forwards, hoping for a home-run there.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Every year in the later rounds the Canucks throw darts at the draft dart board, trying to find a d-man who might develop. But like Neill, Olson, Stewart, Gunnarson and now Brassard......none of them pan out. The only guy who did work out--Forsling-- they traded to the Hawks for another project d-man in Clendening. So don't have high for hopes for Utunen, who's undersized and brings little offense to the table.

Curiously, the Canucks have had better luck signing UFA d-men out of junior and college ranks. Sautner, Chatfield, Tanev and McEneny among others. And have added Eliot and Teves this season.

So clearly they should steer clear of d-man in late rounds and load up with smaller, skilled forwards, hoping for a home-run there.

Gunnarson and Stewart were very obviously terrible picks from the moment they were selected and if you take them out of the equation that's a pretty normal hit rate for late round dmen.

Even with them, 1/7 is pretty normal for 5/6/7 rounders.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria

It's a huge reason why trading away multiple quality top 100 picks that could have been used to stock up on good defensive prospects has really started to hurt us.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It's a huge reason why trading away multiple quality top 100 picks that could have been used to stock up on good defensive prospects has really started to hurt us.

You got use those picks to draft a Dman first and draft an NHL period second. In 2017 we had 5 top 100 picks. We drafted one Dman at 95. Prior to Tryamkin, the Canucks didn't draft a Dman with a top 100 pick since Kevin Connauton. Using high 2nd round picks on Sauve and Ellington also doesn't help.

Reactions: timw33

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad