Prospect Info: 130th overall: Vancouver selects Toni Utunen (D, Tappara)

wavaxa2

Sep 24, 2010
Since this isn't an illegal stream, posting it should be okay, right? I don't know if this is visible outside of finland but today's free game is a local derby, Tappara vs Ilves and can be seen here: mtv

I get a message in Finnish that Google translates to

Regrets! Due to program rights, this program can only be viewed in Finland. However, if you are in Finland, contact customer service to find out where to look.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Really like this defenceman, seems to always make the correct play, good IQ and awareness. Reminded me a bit of Sami Salo without the booming shot. Only seen him play during the WJC though. Hopefully he keeps progressing.

Last edited:

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
got schooled on the 2-1 goal, but i'm not entirely sure if it was a botched line change that caused him to be off position. However it looks like his game has progressed steadily from previous season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Size is Utunen's biggest hurdle....listed at 5'11, 170. At that size, a player has to be 'lights out' offensively like Hughes, Fox or Rathbone, to make a contribution in the NHL.

It's the reason the Canucks decided to move on from Troy Stecher. I suppose there's still a chance Utunen is signed by the Canucks, but my guess is he stays in Finland like Petrus Palmu.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Size is Utunen's biggest hurdle....listed at 5'11, 170. At that size, a player has to be 'lights out' offensively like Hughes, Fox or Rathbone, to make a contribution in the NHL.

It's the reason the Canucks decided to move on from Troy Stecher. I suppose there's still a chance Utunen is signed by the Canucks, but my guess is he stays in Finland like Petrus Palmu.

The liiga website has him at just over 178lbs, so I'd assume he'll end up in the 180-185 range which is fine imo. He'll never be more than a #6/7 D who plays limited defensive minutes at evens + PK. The biggest hurdle for Utunen will be skating, but he's been slowly improving in that area, so we'll see.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
The Canucks will trade him for an AHL tweener in his mid twenties, and five years later Utunen will be on a top pairing for some team making a run in the playoffs.
Liiga or Mestis playoffs? Unless something miraculous happens, he's not going to play in the NHL.

...but if he does, that's the scenario :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Liiga or Mestis playoffs? Unless something miraculous happens, he's not going to play in the NHL.

...but if he does, that's the scenario :laugh:

They were making a Forsling joke. We traded him for Adam Clendening, and now Forsling has developed into a top 3 D for Florida.

Man...it'd be nice to have him to replace Edler right now.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Utunen had two assists today in 20:13 TOI.

On the season:
32 GP: 3/5/8

He's taken another step this year, but probably not a big enough one to start looking like an NHL prospect. He turns 22 in April.

Last season:
51 GP: 2/4/6

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Utunen had two assists today in 20:13 TOI.

On the season:
32 GP: 3/5/8

He's taken another step this year, but probably not a big enough one to start looking like an NHL prospect. He turns 22 in April.

Last season:
51 GP: 2/4/6

He was drafted as a defensive Dman with questionable offensive upside. He lacks ideal size, but might be worth signing and developing here. He captained his U18 team and wore an A at the WJC so he likely has some leadership qualities.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
He was drafted as a defensive Dman with questionable offensive upside. He lacks ideal size, but might be worth signing and developing here. He captained his U18 team and wore an A at the WJC so he likely has some leadership qualities.

I'd feel better about him developing in Finland.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Total non-prospect to me.

Very undersized, not much offensive skill, no high-end skating ability. If we brought him to NA he'd be a marginal AHLer in the Teves/Eliot category.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Total non-prospect to me.

Very undersized, not much offensive skill, no high-end skating ability. If we brought him to NA he'd be a marginal AHLer in the Teves/Eliot category.
I think the best he could do in North America is become an Alex Biega type guy. Depth Dman at the NHL level. But would need time in the A.
Really no point in him coming over unless he excels a lot more than he has shown. Makes a better living in Finland vs playing in the A.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think the best he could do in North America is become an Alex Biega type guy. Depth Dman at the NHL level. But would need time in the A.
Really no point in him coming over unless he excels a lot more than he has shown. Makes a better living in Finland vs playing in the A.

Biega is an excellent skater which is what has allowed him to succeed. And very physical. Unless Utunen has completely developed his game since the WJC a couple years ago, his skating is just nowhere near NHL calibre. And when you're small, not a good skater, and not overly skilled ... you're not really a prospect.

Reactions: elitepete

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Seems like he had a significant increase in icetime going from Tappara to Lahti.

I believe the Canucks have to sign him this year or lose his rights.

Is there any indicator either way?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Seems like he had a significant increase in icetime going from Tappara to Lahti.

I believe the Canucks have to sign him this year or lose his rights.

Is there any indicator either way?

I'd be shocked if we sign him. He's a very marginal prospect with no skills that project to think he could move up levels well.

Reactions: Jersey Fan 12

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad