Prospect Info: 130th overall: Vancouver selects Toni Utunen (D, Tappara)

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Currently a 3rd pair defenceman at Tappara.

Was used yesterday at 3-on-5 PK (no goal allowed), that's quite big trust from the coaches for a young man.

Great post. Please keep those details coming if you're following his progress.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Went to see Tappara's game against Kalpa today where Utunen played as the 7th defenseman. Do bear in mind that this is the first game I've seen him play since playoffs, and that I haven't paid attention to the team at all this season. I'm also mighty tired and typing on my phone so I apologize for any and all incoherent English and text structure.

That being said, I didn't really see improvement in role or in his game since April. He did start the season nursing an injury, so maybe that plays a part in addition to him being still played as a strictly defensive D, with only safe plays on all three zones.

He started the game with one puckless offensive/neutral zone shift that practically was just an extension to pregame warm-up, nothing special. 30 seconds of watching the play and back to the bench.

The second shift, however, was his worst in the game with a guddy-tier icing by missing a pass. He subsequently got overmuscled on a boardplay behind his own net, which would've ended as a prime scoring opportunity if his defensive pairing didn't intercept and clear the puck.

Took some minutes before he got on the ice again due to tappara's power play, but he did very well on 2nd pk unit by blocking lanes and controlling sticks, which broke up Kalpa's play. It was somewhat noteworthy that KalPa didn't have a spectacular powerplay in the game.

Late in the period he took his man on 2v2 rush, which weak effort and bad pass by Kalpa's 2nd line forwards, but Utunen stood his ground in front of the net which seems to be his strong suit. He doesn't mess up badly in his coverage and off-puck duties, but neither does he generate takeaways.
Two minutes left in the period, he had a weak shot pass from scooping up a loose puck, with bad balance during a prolonged board cycle. He could've kept the play going laterally with patience, but clearly didn't want to risk a blue-line turnover. Or he played the system to minimize the chances for an odd man rush.

2nd period: 5 shifts, nothing special. Won a play, lost another on the boards or on open ice. Non physical style of hockey. Tappara had several powerplays in the second so Toni mostly sat in that period. Safe passing to keep the puck moving out from his zone, even if it'd lead to a dump in and a change.

3rd: Kalpa had a bad line change where Utunen could've charged in to carry an odd man rush, but wasn't very aware of the play and missed his chance. Slow stride to accelerate away from the lone checker. Dumped the puck in when pressured on offensive blue, which likely is his job but still. Would've been nice to see an poised offensive effort in a game where they trailed 2-1.

Found him Un(der)utilized by his teammates when walking offensive line. He also seemed to get the puck late in shifts and had to play safe and predictable. Rarely had a playmaking chance and never generated one.

Didn't play in the last 5 minutes of 3rd, due to shortening of the bench and powerplays, and didn't see one shift during 4vs4 ot.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
I swear he’s the most underrated prospect simply because we barely hear anything about him even though he just won the gold medal as crucial part of the Finnish team

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I swear he’s the most underrated prospect simply because we barely hear anything about him even though he just won the gold medal as crucial part of the Finnish team
I think we know the reason Billy :shakehead

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
He's played as a 6/7th (16, 0+3, +1) D since I went to watch him play according to tappara's Twitter lineups. He'll wear an A for u20 finnish team, so keep a close eye for him to see if he's underrated or not ;)

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Tappara acquired another defenseman and it appears that Utunen is the odd man out right now.

When you add in his okay-ish 3rd pairing play from u20 tournament it equals as a pick that won't likely materialize in North America. Young player and all can happen, but I find it quite unlikely in his case.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Tappara acquired another defenseman and it appears that Utunen is the odd man out right now.

When you add in his okay-ish 3rd pairing play from u20 tournament it equals as a pick that won't likely materialize in North America. Young player and all can happen, but I find it quite unlikely in his case.
Rats

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
19yr old on a 2nd place Liiga team. I wouldn't get down on him yet. Puistola barely sees the ice also and Martin Has left to get ice time in the OHL after they wouldn't use him.

They added Adam Polasek former Canuck pick who is a really good player in Europe.

Reactions: lindgren

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So hard to gauge the progress of teenagers playing in the full-on men's professional leagues.

For every one guy like Elias Pettersson who's a phenom, there's a dozen more who struggle with the pressure and pace of playing against fully-developed men at the top of their games; and are challenged in getting the ice time.

So kids like Utunen, Hoglander and Podkolzin will have their 'ups and down' throughout the season. And it'll be hard to get a read on them.

Reactions: lindgren

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
My assessment is a clumsy lumberjack's handful of games and conversations with Tappara fans. By no means do I deem it sufficient for tracking and projecting his career as opposed to a pro scout's work.

With that in mind, my best guess is that he'll more likely carve a respectable pro career in the European leagues for the years to come than in the NHL.

Should he make it to the Canucks, I'll be more than happy to see it happen.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
My assessment is a clumsy lumberjack's handful of games and conversations with Tappara fans. By no means do I deem it sufficient for tracking and projecting his career as opposed to a pro scout's work.

With that in mind, my best guess is that he'll more likely carve a respectable pro career in the European leagues for the years to come than in the NHL.

Should he make it to the Canucks, I'll be more than happy to see it happen.

Please keep the lumberjack reports coming.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Played his 1st game of the season today (was going to watch, but my stream wasn't working -_- ). Played on the 2nd pair, and finished with 1 shot in 15:36 TOI. I still don't know why he missed the 1st 4 games, but I'm happy it wasn't due to being passed on the depth chart (hopefully it wasn't Covid)!

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Played his 1st game of the season today (was going to watch, but my stream wasn't working -_- ). Played on the 2nd pair, and finished with 1 shot in 15:36 TOI. I still don't know why he missed the 1st 4 games, but I'm happy it wasn't due to being passed on the depth chart (hopefully it wasn't Covid)!

Please keep these reports coming.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
With all the uncertainty about the immediate future of the AHL, I doubt Utunen signs a contract any time soon. My perception is he's been surpassed on the depth chart by a half-dozen defensive prospects the Canucks have drafted in recent years.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
With all the uncertainty about the immediate future of the AHL, I doubt Utunen signs a contract any time soon. My perception is he's been surpassed on the depth chart by a half-dozen defensive prospects the Canucks have drafted in recent years.
He was drafted in 2018?

Jurmo Truscott and Persson are the only players who could have surpassed him technically.

I really like Utunen's game. Had the full juniors package and saw Finland live a few times. Thought he has really good fundamentals and liked his smarts mobility and first pass. Pretty vanilla offensively and lacks a standout trait that could see him being anything other than a depth defenseman but you never know how a players development arc can go so i'm happy to follow along.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

If there's no AHL, there's also no need to sign him at this time.

M2Beezy

May 25, 2014
Utunen had 1 assist (was primary) today in 14:47 from the 2nd pair. Now has 1A 1Pt 5Shots and 15:32TOI in 3 Gp.
So over the course of an entire NHL season we should expect 54 points from him roughly (on avg)

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Are you actually watching the games? If so, what's his playstyle looking like these days?

Didn't watch today's game (had work), but he's looked basically the same - solid defensively, makes good breakout passes (mostly), and just makes simple smart plays all around. Anything in particular you're interested in knowing?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Didn't watch today's game (had work), but he's looked basically the same - solid defensively, makes good breakout passes (mostly), and just makes simple smart plays all around. Anything in particular you're interested in knowing?
Not really. Just haven't had a chance to ever watch him outside of WJC play, which was a while ago.

Reactions: The Iron Goalie

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad