Prospect Info: 130th overall: Vancouver selects Toni Utunen (D, Tappara)

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
it's just hard to take anyone seriously when they have "pancho villa" displayed proudly on their jersey.

Love the pick!

Reactions: jeromemorrow

Bitz and Bites

May 5, 2012
Victoria
Good pick,we need to stock up defencemen without creating a log jam in Utica in a couple years.Let him simmer in Europe for awhile and hope for the best.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Seems like a solid two-way defenseman playing in a men's league. Good roll of the dice for a later round pick compared to picking Gunnarsson last year.
Absolutely, much rather chase someone with update than someone with dime a dozen, cheap 3rd pairing upside.

Brackett really doesn't seem to give a toss about size, we have drafted a lot of small or slight players. At some point they are going to need to add some muscle to prospect pool or we will become Montreal West. Shating is going to be excellent, eventually.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since he's playing in Europe, Canucks have a lot of time to make a decision on him. If nothing else this draft added to their thin blueline prospect pool. Remains to be seen though whether it's 'quantity over quality'.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
Wow, not much talk for perhaps the best pick of the day.

He is on the smaller side, but he plays a competitive game. He battles hard on the boards and battles in front of the net well. Saw him lay a nice hip check. I thought he did a lot of heavy lifting for the Finns at the U18s, regular on the PK and 2nd PP (Honka was the only defender on PP1). Good first pass, passes more than rushes, but if ice open to him, he will skate it up. Good shot. Not flashy offensively though (which is why i hesitate to compare him to Vatanen). Little weakness in his game, just well rounded.

Working on a video as i type this!

Last edited:

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Our site has multiple short reports of Utunen
Toni Utunen | FinnProspects.com

I personally am not so sure about Utunen. He is not quite as good skater of offensively as I would hope for a player of his size and he isn't that special at the own end either. Not saying that he would be bad at those parts either, I'm just not so sure what would be the X factor what would make him NHL player. But he is solid all-round already and he played already in pretty good level during this season and this is why he is well worthy of 5th round pick.

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver

He is on the smaller side, but he plays a competitive game. He battles hard on the boards and battles in front of the net well. Saw him lay a nice hip check. I thought he did a lot of heavy lifting for the Finns at the U18s, regular on the PK and 2nd PP (Honka was the only defender on PP1). Good first pass, passes more than rushes, but if ice open to him, he will skate it up. Good shot. Not flashy offensively though (which is why i hesitate to compare him to Vatanen). Little weakness in his game, just well rounded.

Sounds like Jared Spurgeon.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
This is a real solid pick. Upside is that of a Dman who is good on D and in transitioning the puck.

Really draft for need this draft eh Canucks

It is a draft where D has the most depth. "Asset value" seems to be the term thrown about as well.

Reactions: jeromemorrow

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

I did comment on the pick previously but most of my posts from yesterday seem to have disappeared.

This looks like a good pick. Looking forward to watching him in next years WJCs

jeromemorrow

May 3, 2016
Vancouver, BC

I'm EXCITED about this pick 'cause you're excited about this pick.. Was reading all the posts so far & this pick has sort of gone under the radar... captained his u18(?) team too? Intangibles, smarts & skills are what we're going after these past few drafts.

Don't mind these picks on Europeans to give us versatility in managing our assets. Guess any dman @ the 130ish range with higher upside on Kristoffer Gunnarsson is a +++ :D

Reactions: thefeebster

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I was just reading the thread on the main board discussing pre draft who would be the steals of the draft. This guys name came up the most. Seems like a lot of knowledgeable posters knew about him.

donut

Sep 5, 2012
The more I read into Utunen, the more it I'm liking the pick. Really excited to see how he developed over the next few season in Finland.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Welp, as promised.

Thanks for the vid.
Really like what I've read and seen. Seems like a 2/3 round value for a 5th. His fundamentals are excellent should be fun following his development.
Really like the pic and will be nice to watch him live at the U20's this year.

Reactions: thefeebster

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com
surprised he got the man of the match or w/e the thing they call but he like just with everyone else had some meh and bad moments none stood out
having said that, he seems to be a good positional player with good hockey iq. seems to have a good understanding of the game
downside is he's sorely lacking food speed and upperbody strength for obv reason being small guy
should focus heavily on his skating

Last edited:

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
surprised he got the man of the match or w/e the thing they call but he like just with everyone else had some meh and bad moments none stood out
having said that, he seems to be a good positional player with good hockey iq. seems to have a good understanding of the game
downside is he's sorely lacking food speed and upperbody strength for obv reason being small guy
should focus heavily on his skating
Was at the game live yesterday and he was by far the best defenseman on the ice not named Dobson. He has tremendous hockey iq, passining ability and is very very sounds defensively using his positioning. His skating is good not great and needs some explosiveness. All in all he’s looking like a great pick.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Was at the game live yesterday and he was by far the best defenseman on the ice not named Dobson. He has tremendous hockey iq, passining ability and is very very sounds defensively using his positioning. His skating is good not great and needs some explosiveness. All in all he’s looking like a great pick.
Thats great to hear. Skating is something he can work on over the next couple a years too, we can send him to the Bo Horvat school of skating :laugh:

From the above video too looks like he knows how to throw his weight too. Really liking this pick so far, thanks for the update from the tourney

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Absolutely, much rather chase someone with update than someone with dime a dozen, cheap 3rd pairing upside.

Brackett really doesn't seem to give a toss about size, we have drafted a lot of small or slight players. At some point they are going to need to add some muscle to prospect pool or we will become Montreal West. Shating is going to be excellent, eventually.

So the drafting of small players...defo agree. However it doesn't concern me really. It seems the nucks draft semi-talented beefy-cakey type players to augment the skillful undersize types. So for every Pettersson Hughes and Lind...there's a Virtanen Woo and Gadjovic. I'm super on board with taking these small skilled guys as that's the way the league is going and IMO it seems the nucks are slightly ahead of the drafting curve in that respect. But drafting the rough and tumble types to counter-balance these picks is 100% the right way to build it up. Have patience Nucks fans...I honestly believe the worst is over!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00