Prospect Info: 130th overall: Vancouver selects Toni Utunen (D, Tappara)

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Since he's playing in Europe, Canucks have a lot of time to make a decision on him. If nothing else this draft added to their thin blueline prospect pool. Remains to be seen though whether it's 'quantity over quality'.

Quantity over quality...we need both so if it's not quality in the long run we still needed it anyway.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
So the drafting of small players...defo agree. However it doesn't concern me really. It seems the nucks draft semi-talented beefy-cakey type players to augment the skillful undersize types. So for every Pettersson Hughes and Lind...there's a Virtanen Woo and Gadjovic. I'm super on board with taking these small skilled guys as that's the way the league is going and IMO it seems the nucks are slightly ahead of the drafting curve in that respect. But drafting the rough and tumble types to counter-balance these picks is 100% the right way to build it up. Have patience Nucks fans...I honestly believe the worst is over!
Don't forget about Tryamkin!

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So the drafting of small players...defo agree. However it doesn't concern me really. It seems the nucks draft semi-talented beefy-cakey type players to augment the skillful undersize types. So for every Pettersson Hughes and Lind...there's a Virtanen Woo and Gadjovic. I'm super on board with taking these small skilled guys as that's the way the league is going and IMO it seems the nucks are slightly ahead of the drafting curve in that respect. But drafting the rough and tumble types to counter-balance these picks is 100% the right way to build it up. Have patience Nucks fans...I honestly believe the worst is over!
I agree. It depends where you’re drafting too. If you’re drafting anywhere after 5th overall chances are that the big skilled guys go top 4 or 5. So if you want to get a really skilled guy like Hughes or Petterson you really have to go for the smaller skinnier guys. If Petterson had been big and still had that skill he’s probably a first or second overall pick.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki

Hmmm, Pettersson is 6'2" but skinny, (172 lb). Lind is 6'1" and 180 as a 19 yr old. Now Manukyan .... 5'7" 139 lbs .....

LovemyNucks

May 26, 2009
England
Sure...I thought three examples were enough but let's throw in the Russian contingent of Tryamkin/Manukyan lol. Kind of like a Master/Blaster Thunderdome type deal lol.

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Sure...I thought three examples were enough but let's throw in the Russian contingent of Tryamkin/Manukyan lol. Kind of like a Master/Blaster Thunderdome type deal lol.

As far as prospects go we have extremes. On one side we have Hughes Palmu and Manukyan (though Hughes really isn't that small). In the middle we have Pettersson, juolevi, Lind and Gaudette who range from very thin but fairly tall to generally 6' +/- and solid for their age, to Woo, Gadjovich and Tryamkin, for whom physicality isn't going to be an issue.

HelloCookie

Nov 23, 2016
Finland
Unelman tavoittelu jakoi aikanaan perheen kahtia, mutta uhraus kannatti: poika on nyt 18-vuotiaana kiekkoammattilainen ja NHL-varaus

there was an article about Toni in the national news today. I was bored so I translated it, if someone is interested. Basically a brief glimpse to his background as a person. Not much hockey related in terms of evaluation. I'm going to see him play on tuesday and hopefully can chip in a bit on that topic.

Reaching for the dream split the family apart, but was worth the sacrifice: at 18 years old, the son is now hockey professional and drafted to the NHL
changing towns, investment from the family has led the player far. Even to the presidential Palace.

On the walls, at a place of honor of their home, jerseys are hung in Hervanta, Tampere. Photos on tabletops and a showcase full of prizes show that Toni Utunen has succeeded in hockey. Six years ago the Utunen family, from Kokkola, made a decision that has steered the father and the son primarily towards hockey. The family decided that the talented 12 year old hockey junior should be playing in a town that hosts a Liiga team. Toni had shown in Kokkolan Hermes that he had the potential to go even beyond Liiga.

When the whole family didn't want to uproot, it was split in half. The Mother, two daughters and family dogs stayed behind while Toni and his father moved to Tampere.

Huge transition

The men found their way, mostly in hockey. Toni, 12, played in Tappara's juniors and attended to sixth grade. His father found a job in his field and a home from Hervanta district.

"Of course it was a big decision for one that young. Friendships had solidified and the surroundings were familiar. It's no easy situation to move at that age to a completely new place and population. There was some yearning back", Toni Utunen remembers.

Father admits, that the decision was a substantial sacrifice from everyone in the family.

"Rough times, mentally and economically speaking, but since Toni has done so well for himself, there is no regret. He's done beyond expectations."

Tappara RY's junior coaching directior Kimmo Vähä-Ruohola states, that the choice from Utunen family was unusual given Toni's age. Usually the juniors from other locations migrate few years older. The youngest of the bunch has to have family nearby or a support family that Tappara can arrange to live with.

"We're not luring the youth in from afar. We've got plenty from the county and city area itself. Each individual is evaluated closely, so that the player has potential for the men's league. The aim is to have them at least 15-16 years of age when they join in."

Success begins to pile in

For grades 7 to 9, the young player attended to a sports-emphasizing school. A lot of his teammates attended to the same school, which helped with making friends in his new hometown. Dilligent practice bore fruit: Utunen represented team Finland in the youth olympics, and team Finland's games. He also skated in the men's top league, Liiga.

Toni Utunen captained the national team that brought home gold in u-18 world championships, in 2018. The winter brought in more responsibility in Tappara's games as well. The midsummer brought a great suprise when the Vancouver Canucks drafted him.

A cherry on top of all this was when the mail brought in an invitation to the nation's official independence celebrations in the presidential Palace. It was a byproduct of successfully leading the championship team in world juniors.

"You had to blink more than few times when opening the invitation letter. It's not a party that everyone gets invited in, so it surely will be a night to remember. I am very thankful for the invite" Utunen says.

A lot of work to be done

The Family's decision to pursue the dream of every hockey youngster has brought exactly what was sought. Profession in playing hockey. Being drafted by an NHL team implies that even the greater dream beyond the sea would happen. The Tappara defenseman knows to keep his cool, though.

"The path has only begun, and there's a lot of it to travel. There's a need for more muscle, and improvement with skating and puckhandling. NHL is a topic for another day. Right now playing in Liiga is the main focus."

Tappara's assistant coach Janne Grönvall agrees. The daily work needs to be put in, in several ways. Talent leads only so far, but to go further requires passion and motivation for the everyday work.

"From a draft pick to an NHL player is a long way. Toni has to work with physical, mental and game-related goals, so that he has the tools to make for the leap. Even diet plays a part in the entirety of his life.

The coach gives credit for the 18 year old. According to Grönvall Toni Utunen has a knack for modern defense - playing two ways.

"I think it is the first and foremost thing today. To have the ability for two-way play."

Hockey first, school second.

A professional hockey player has 2-3 games scheduled per week. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. There's an on-ice practice each day, except on sundays. They hit the gym after each game or on a day off. Toni Utunen is studying along with working full-time. He means to achieve papers in Vocational Qualification in Business Management, though not necessarily as quickly as a full-time student.

"I'm attending when I have the chance. Luckily I am able to study online a lot. Hockey is the main focus right now, which means that I'm unable to keep up with the others. I want to think that I'll wrap up school eventually."

The sacrifices made have luckily motivated the player, rather than building up the pressure.

"I've been left to play hockey, without external pressure. The knowledge what has been done for me has helped me during moments of doubt, so that I've headed to practice. It has helped to carry on."

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Unelman tavoittelu jakoi aikanaan perheen kahtia, mutta uhraus kannatti: poika on nyt 18-vuotiaana kiekkoammattilainen ja NHL-varaus

there was an article about Toni in the national news today. I was bored so I translated it, if someone is interested. Basically a brief glimpse to his background as a person. Not much hockey related in terms of evaluation. I'm going to see him play on tuesday and hopefully can chip in a bit on that topic.

Please do report on the Tuesday game; that'd be great.

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville

Mann, the Finns suure loovee theirre duublle connsonnannts annd voowells.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Some guy on the main Utunen thread in the main prospects section of the main board said this

Having seen most of his games this season, I'd describe him as a modern defensive defenceman. Quite boring in that he is very solid on his own end, almost always goes for the easy opening pass and rarely is put of position. He often joins the game in the offensive zone, but nothing ever comes out of it, because of subpar shot and just dumping the puck into the corners. Just a bland player, but imo deserves bigger minutes in Liiga because he is at least safe unlike most of Tappara's d-men have been this season. Could see him as a bottom-4 stay-at-home guy in NHL at some point (although he is still very young so who knows what sort of offensive powerhouse he'll turn into).

:yo:

JanBulisPiggyBack

Dec 31, 2011
Some guy on the main Utunen thread in the main prospects section of the main board said this

:yo:

It Utunen finishes off this tourney with some prestige I wonder if Benning will sell high on him like Forsling and hopefully turn him into something. If he is a throw in on a Goldy trade that could sweeten the pot

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I don’t believe we sold high on Forsling. We got a crap return and he went on to flash top 4 ability in the NHL.

Reactions: Catbug

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
We'll see what he does with us in a yr or two...
But what a highlight to have in your back pocket for the rest of your life.... Scoring the Overtime winner to eliminate Canada!

Good on the kid..

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad