'13 NHL Entry Draft v3.0

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
How is Monahan a 2nd liner

I see him as a 2nd liner too. Granted, I've only seen the WHL kids live so my opinion on anyone else isn't worth a wet fart. I think Monahan is Conroy with a bit more offensive ability. Of course I also think Conroy/Langkow (in their prime obviously) types are integral to winning. You can trade for or get those guys in free agency though. If Nicushkin pans out he's the type of player you can't get in free agency or without giving up an arm in a trade. I don't know enough about either guy to determine realistically who we should be drafting. I just know I don't want another stupid reach like we had last year. Draft one of Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan or Nicushkin and I'm a happy camper. I'd love Shinkaruk, but I can't justify taking him at 6. I wonder if there is any chance Buffalo or NJ would give us something to move down?

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I see Monahan and Bolland as really similar players as such not franchise key players or top line centers. The problem with that is Lindholm projects to have much higher upside and all scouting reports more or less. Not to say I don't like Bolland, but given the choice of Bolland vs Backstrom...well I would go with the Swede.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I see Monahan and Bolland as really similar players as such not franchise key players or top line centers. The problem with that is Lindholm projects to have much higher upside and all scouting reports more or less. Not to say I don't like Bolland, but given the choice of Bolland vs Backstrom...well I would go with the Swede.

I disagree with the level of player you picked, but not the type. I put Monahan somewhere between Conroy and Toews. I don't think he'll be as good as Toews, but better than Conroy. Bolland hasn't been very good the last 2-3 years. I'd rather have Lindholm too though.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I disagree with the level of player you picked, but not the type. I put Monahan somewhere between Conroy and Toews. I don't think he'll be as good as Toews, but better than Conroy. Bolland hasn't been very good the last 2-3 years. I'd rather have Lindholm too though.

I agree with you for the most part, although I do think he could end up being a Toews clone.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

If its the level, I have Conroy and Bolland on the same level. Really speaking Conroy only had two year with big numbers of 75 and 66 so they could be anomalies, the rest of his point totals hover around the 35-45 range. Bolland is on a fairly deeper team and has never really had the prime offensive pp minutes. So I'd argue that really speaking they are both the same tier players. But few scouting reports ever suggest that Monahan will be a PPG player which I think is our priority, an offensive center threat that can put up big numbers.

JB51Hockey

51Hockey
Nov 19, 2012
We are going to take...
6th: Sean Monahan F
22nd: Kerby Rychel F
28th: Madison Bowey D

I would be completely content with those picks but the Flames will trade one of those first-rounders on draft day. Maybe to PIT or NYR seeing as their highest picks are in the 3rd round.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden

lindholm is also a physical player. his physical game is very landeskog-esque and skill like bäckström. fantastic player. would go top 3 if he played in north america.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
lindholm is also a physical player. his physical game is very landeskog-esque and skill like bäckström. fantastic player. would go top 3 if he played in north america.

I watched some highlights from the WJC, and Lindholm was flying from one side of the rink to the other to land a big hit. I don't get all the 'non-physical' comments, personally, but maybe the video skewed my perception.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
I watched some highlights from the WJC, and Lindholm was flying from one side of the rink to the other to land a big hit. I don't get all the 'non-physical' comments, personally, but maybe the video skewed my perception.

He has had the Forsberg comparison thrown on him already, the guy is gritty and if he is anything half to Foppa, would be a great pick.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Are you guys still going on about getting a second round pick? We have THREE firsts.

I'm in favour of moving 28 for, say, Montreal's two seconds. The picks in that region are up in the air, anyway. It's not like it's going to be a clear drop between the levels of the players being picked. We would really just go from one player to two players of similar levels.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
You really don't want any player that has ever voiced a complaint ever in their entire career do you?
I don't want a player that asks to be traded half way through his ELC because he feels entitled to a position he never earned.

He is also pretty overrated IMO, he has never projected to be a top line player. He has also suffered a couple head injuries which makes me very leery since without the physical element to his game he will be nothing.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I don't want a player that asks to be traded half way through his ELC because he feels entitled to a position he never earned.

He is also pretty overrated IMO, he has never projected to be a top line player. He has also suffered a couple head injuries which makes me very leery since without the physical element to his game he will be nothing.

No real proof he did ask for a trade it was a rumor.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I agree with you for the most part, although I do think he could end up being a Toews clone.

Can't see that at all.
Toews has one of the best hands in the nhl, Monahan just doesn't. I do see a solid leader out of him though, and probably, maybe, 60 some points.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Can't see that at all.
Toews has one of the best hands in the nhl, Monahan just doesn't. I do see a solid leader out of him though, and probably, maybe, 60 some points.

I think your underrating him, even if he is only a 60 point center I think he will be one of the best 2 way players in the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad