'13 NHL Entry Draft v3.0

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Clearly you know nothing of Josi, but then again, nearly nobody does. That being said, having a great defence is never a bad idea.

Nashville's got an incredible luck with rounds outside the first man. Josi's, very high end. That being said, I'm pretty sure Nashville came out and said that they'd take Jones without a second thought today.

More chance of Barkov dropping to the Flames. :handclap:

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
but look at knight and bouma (4th/5th round draft picks). players like hartman can be found all throughout the draft.

No they can't.
Players who can hit, agitate, defend, and score are not found throughout the draft.
Ryan Hartman is the total package. He plays an eerily similar game to Mike Richards from what I have seen.

Hartman has significantly more offensive upside than Bouma, whereas Knight played Midget AAA in his draft year (and was not selected), and only broke onto the NHL draft scene as an 18 year old.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
No they can't.
Players who can hit, agitate, defend, and score are not found throughout the draft.
Ryan Hartman is the total package. He plays an eerily similar game to Mike Richards from what I have seen.

Hartman has significantly more offensive upside than Bouma, whereas Knight played Midget AAA in his draft year (and was not selected), and only broke onto the NHL draft scene as an 18 year old.

yeah they can... its not like hartman has much offensive upside anyways. he is just a high floor player who is well rounded, not worth the 22nd imo.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
yeah they can... its not like hartman has much offensive upside anyways. he is just a high floor player who is well rounded, not worth the 22nd imo.

Ranked 25-40 on most of the last rankings. 22 isn't very far off.

I will say, Hartman has a lot of intangibles; at this point Calgary needs both intangibles and high end players. If the likes of Mantha, Lazar or Zykov are still on the table at 22, I personally would like to see them get picked... Just more offensive upside.
Calgary seems to have loaded up on leaders, and high IQ guys with their trades/signings and prior drafts... Time to load up on some offensive dynamite.

All in my opinion, of course.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009

He scored at almost an identical pace as Adam Erne, yet you mentioned you would have no problems taking him at 22.

Who's to say that Hartman does not have 25-30*-55 potential at the NHL level? I think it is more than possible.

Last edited:

TriPPinVdUb

Jun 17, 2012
Calgary Alberta
Clearly you know nothing of Josi, but then again, nearly nobody does. That being said, having a great defence is never a bad idea.

I'm not sure how my comment brought you to that conclusion but I don't see how Josi would stop the Preds from taking Jones in the event that he is still on the board?

Josi is good but he's no Suter, the kid still has allot of unscratched potential but playing with Webber sure doesn't hurt....

TriPPinVdUb

Jun 17, 2012
Calgary Alberta
No they can't.

Thats exactly who I would compare him too as well, they play that same type of game and posted very similar #s, both can play centre or on the wing and both are projected to go around the same spot at the draft...

All year I have been hearing/saying that calgary needs to get tougher all through there line up, we'll this would be a good star.

I Pity The Foo

Jan 11, 2012
Victoria BC
I belive we need to hit a homerun this draft. I think we should draft Nichushkin. His size speed strength is to hard to pass on and i belive Monahan and Lindholm are just safe picks that wont be much better than 2nd line centers. Nishushkin has game breaker writen all over him.

mdexm

Apr 2, 2013
I belive we need to hit a homerun this draft. I think we should draft Nichushkin. His size speed strength is to hard to pass on and i belive Monahan and Lindholm are just safe picks that wont be much better than 2nd line centers. Nishushkin has game breaker writen all over him.

I'm kind of in the same boat, only because he's free of KHL commitments. That pick has more potential to backfire but the upside is way higher than a Lindholm/Monahan.

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB

I'm kind of in the same boat, only because he's free of KHL commitments. That pick has more potential to backfire but the upside is way higher than a Lindholm/Monahan.

I honestly think if we take Nichuskin we will regret it. He doesn't seem to have the character we need moving forward and his ability to bolt to the KHL anytime raises a lot of uncertainty.

Monahan and Lindholm may seem like the safe picks but I truly believe they will both be great two-way top 6 centers.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
NJ is 9, right? That's not all that surprising. I could see them taking a shot on Fucale.

Most of their fans are hoping for a forward. They have needs everywhere really, so I'm not sure I'd be surprised with anything New Jersey does.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I don't know if Drouin can fall, mostly because I don't see Tampa going and grabbing Niki. I think Drouin fits nicely within that team... And they've had a history of liking their French Canadians.

I also don't think we're giving the Raleigh guys enough credit. I don't think they'd skip over Drouin to take Monahan; I just can't see it... they have enough Staal's to provide blue-collar play; I don't see them passing over Drouin to get Monahan.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I really feel this year will start off with a trade; with Colorado raking Florida over the coals to move up to one (why every single member of the Colorado franchise is saying they'll be picking MacKinnon). Then a ton of jockeying for position as we go along. I can see minimum one team moving into the top ten, and at least 3 moves within the top fifteen to leap frog other teams. Favours will be called in, and many fan bases will be going home unhappy.

As per someone like Mantha. If he falls to 22, I'd take him before Morrissey in a heart beat. 6'4'', all kinds of upside... They don't fall out of trees those.
I see him as possibly a Getzlaf/Perry type first round pick up. Guys that years later, people are like... **** sakes how'd they fall?!

Also, I think a lot of the draft rankings on this forum are all kinds of weird. TSN's list is always ridiculously close/accurate... and they have some guys going top 20 that HF people aren't even mentioning in the top 30 (Mirco Muller, 16; wasn't even a top two poll candidate last I checked for 28 LOL)

They have a more recent history taking Russians...

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I'm not sure how my comment brought you to that conclusion but I don't see how Josi would stop the Preds from taking Jones in the event that he is still on the board?

Josi is good but he's no Suter, the kid still has allot of unscratched potential but playing with Webber sure doesn't hurt....

He's well on his way to becoming Suter's replacement. He's been that good.

I think he was just mentioning the idea that Nashville would take Jones because they lost Suter is wrong.

They'd take Jones because they view him as the best player in the draft.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
They have a more recent history taking Russians...

Yeah, and they sure built the only successful years in franchise history on the back of Lecavaliov and St. Louevsky.

I like icewookie. If you mention anything to do with mother Russia or not recognize her, he's coming down on you lol.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
Yeah, and they sure built the only successful years in franchise history on the back of Lecavaliov and St. Louevsky.

I like icewookie. If you mention anything to do with mother Russia or not recognize her, he's coming down on you lol.
That Stamkovsky looks like a real home run though.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada

Lol, hard for you to distinguish different organizations eh?

The managment team that built a winner around Lecavalier and St Louis is a much different one than is currently running the Lighting.

The current management team has a GM steeped in a history of winners being built around talented Russian players. It's also taken 5 Russian players in the past two drafts, two in the first round.

But we should probably ignore that right?

Lol, mother Russia. Would be clever if I was Russian...

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Lol, hard for you to distinguish different organizations eh?

The managment team that built a winner around Lecavalier and St Louis is a much different one than is currently running the Lighting.

The current management team has a GM steeped in a history of winners being built around talented Russian players. It's also taken 5 Russian players in the past two drafts, two in the first round.

But we should probably ignore that right?

Lol, mother Russia. Would be clever if I was Russian...

You are correct, but maybe that is a good indication they may change it up a bit at this draft. I've read your arguments defending taking Russians, but I want nothing to do with them when we have the 6th overall pick. We could end up with nothing in a few years.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
You are correct, but maybe that is a good indication they may change it up a bit at this draft. I've read your arguments defending taking Russians, but I want nothing to do with them when we have the 6th overall pick. We could end up with nothing in a few years.

I don't really have an issue with you saying that. I think it's a wrong idea, but I don't really blame you per se.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
I know it's just mynhldraft.com, but they have us taking the following:

6. Monahan - C
22. Erne - RW
28. Hartman - RW

Talk about replenishing our RW and C prospect positions while adding size and physicality to our lineup! I would be ecstatic with this haul!

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503

6. Monahan - C
22. Erne - RW
28. Hartman - RW

Talk about replenishing our RW and C prospect positions while adding size and physicality to our lineup! I would be ecstatic with this haul!

Wouldn't mind a draft like that at all.

Ideally then, the Flames could move Cammalleri or Tanguay for a couple of second rounders and pick up some defensemen.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I don't think Monahan or Lindholm project as #2C's really. Monahan may become more suited to playing behind a very skilled center, but I'm sure he will be more than capable of holding his own on a top line if developed properly. Lindholm may have somewhat more bust potential than Monahan, however I think that percentage is extremely small and I think he will be a PPG player in the NHL at some point.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

6. Monahan - C
22. Erne - RW
28. Hartman - RW

Personally I'd take Morrissey at 22 (if available), but I would love Monahan and Hartman at those spots.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I don't think Monahan or Lindholm project as #2C's really. Monahan may become more suited to playing behind a very skilled center, but I'm sure he will be more than capable of holding his own on a top line if developed properly. Lindholm may have somewhat more bust potential than Monahan, however I think that percentage is extremely small and I think he will be a PPG player in the NHL at some point.

If David Krejci can play 1C and be a Conn Smythe contender, then yeah, both of these guys can do it. I don't know why, when it comes to draft time, people think that only generational players will be able to play on the top line.

joeyabs

May 15, 2013
SoDoSoPa

6. Monahan - C
22. Erne - RW
28. Hartman - RW

I love this too. :yo:

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

6. Monahan - C
22. Erne - RW
28. Hartman - RW

I think if we are targeting both Erne and Hartman I would prefer to go with the more offensively talent Lindholm as the other 2 are good 2 way players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad