'13 NHL Entry Draft v3.0

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I know it's just mynhldraft.com, but they have us taking the following:

6. Monahan - C
22. Erne - RW
28. Hartman - RW

Talk about replenishing our RW and C prospect positions while adding size and physicality to our lineup! I would be ecstatic with this haul!

Ugh.
Apparently we're trying to build through the draft, by drafting the best 2nd/3rd liners available.

I know Calgary wants to get bigger, and tougher to play against... and want guys with high hockey IQ, but could we please draft some guys who have top line written all over them instead of role players with hockey smarts?

Could we go after Mantha, Zykov, Morrissey, Morin or Hagg instead? Guys who could score and put up big numbers in this league or who could very well be top two defenders?

/Flame on!

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Ugh.
Apparently we're trying to build through the draft, by drafting the best 2nd/3rd liners available.

I know Calgary wants to get bigger, and tougher to play against... and want guys with high hockey IQ, but could we please draft some guys who have top line written all over them instead of role players with hockey smarts?

Could we go after Mantha, Zykov, Morrissey, Morin or Hagg instead? Guys who could score and put up big numbers in this league or who could very well be top two defenders?

/Flame on!

How is Monahan a 2nd liner

North American Central Scouting chief scout Mark Seidel considers Monahan a more advanced version of Philadelphia Flyers centre Sean Couturier at the same age. Seidel added that in at least three previous recent drafts, Monahan would have been picked first overall.

First round bust

May 21, 2013
Calgary
Ugh.

/Flame on!

I like some of those names you mention but manthas stock is falling, his compete level is rated very low by several scouts, I don't think that's a guy we take in the first round.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
where he places prospects on his mock drafts. he is kinda like button, i dont take him all that seriously.

Did you see the Canucks board from 2011? People have prospects all over the board the point is he is a professional scout his word is worth more than almost anyone on here. It at least shows that there are scouts out there who love his game.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Did you see the Canucks board from 2011? People have prospects all over the board the point is he is a professional scout his word is worth more than almost anyone on here. It at least shows that there are scouts out there who love his game.
I would say his word is worth more than everyone on here, not just about everyone :laugh:

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
true. vancouver has been pretty bad at drafting though

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I honestly don't think the Flames would pick Mantha unless he was there at 28. He doesn't fit the cut of player that Weisbrod seems to like. I've read an interview from him and he seems kind of out to lunch and I find him to be somewhat arrogant. Yes he has the tools, but I'm not sold on him, his attitude or his work ethic.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
How is Monahan a 2nd liner

I think he's more 1b or 2 than 1a, personally.
Don't see him commanding the shutdown line from other teams, I see him going head to head against top lines.

I want guys other teams have to game plan around, the ones that make them have to change their plans for a first liner.
Was also mostly talking about the other guys in that mock.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think he's more 1b or 2 than 1a, personally.
Don't see him commanding the shutdown line from other teams, I see him going head to head against top lines.

I want guys other teams have to game plan around, the ones that make them have to change their plans for a first liner.
Was also mostly talking about the other guys in that mock.

Ok fair enough most people see Monahan as an elite #2 (aka Bergeron, Kesler) and if he works on his explosiveness as a skater he could move into that top 10 center projections.

But I do see what your saying and I said that if we target Erne and Hartman I would prefer Lindholm because he has the chance to be an elite offensive player and Erne and Hartman have the defensive side to make up for the loss between Lindholm and Monahan.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Ok fair enough most people see Monahan as an elite #2 (aka Bergeron, Kesler) and if he works on his explosiveness as a skater he could move into that top 10 center projections.

But I do see what your saying and I said that if we target Erne and Hartman I would prefer Lindholm because he has the chance to be an elite offensive player and Erne and Hartman have the defensive side to make up for the loss between Lindholm and Monahan.

Totally. If we drafted Lindholm, Morrissey, and Hartman this draft would be an incredible success. Also, what a great mix of players.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Totally. If we drafted Lindholm, Morrissey, and Hartman this draft would be an incredible success. Also, what a great mix of players.

I just honestly want some kids with high end skill.
I thought we were on the right tracks in the last few drafts, getting some kids with potential. Don't know why we'd go back to Sutter style drafting, getting heart guys with high picks. Doesn't do it for me.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I just honestly want some kids with high end skill.
I thought we were on the right tracks in the last few drafts, getting some kids with potential. Don't know why we'd go back to Sutter style drafting, getting heart guys with high picks. Doesn't do it for me.

Lindholm is that guy with high end skill, I also think Morrissey can be as well. In any other other draft Morrissey probably goes top 10 being that the norm is 3-4 dman are usually taken. Hartman is not a traditional skill guy, but he's got an all around package that winning teams need. I think he's definitely gonna be an NHL'er. If we pass on Monahan then I'd be ecstatic with Hartman at 28 for what he brings.

Conversely, if we take Monahan at 6, then I'd like us to take Petan at 28.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Hartman could very well become a Callahan clone. Remind me why we don't want to draft that?

I could be surprised but I fully expect Petan to fall somewhere in the 40-60 range personally. I think he's got great skill but combine his size with the fact he's one dimensional I don't think he will go in the first. Who was the last player under 5'9" to go in the first round? Having said that Feaster will now draft him 28th overall.

I'm still a fan of trading from 28 to two middle of the 2nd round picks.

Nightrain

Nov 4, 2009
Calgary
I think we need to have a plan not just hope to hit a pile of homeruns this year. We are not drafting high enough to make a real difference, getting a great second liner and great 3rd liner and a great 4 defenseman would be ideal. We will unfortunately suck enough that we can look at the real high end talent in the next two drafts. Same thinking I hope applies to free agent signings and trades.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Lindholm is that guy with high end skill, I also think Morrissey can be as well. In any other other draft Morrissey probably goes top 10 being that the norm is 3-4 dman are usually taken. Hartman is not a traditional skill guy, but he's got an all around package that winning teams need. I think he's definitely gonna be an NHL'er. If we pass on Monahan then I'd be ecstatic with Hartman at 28 for what he brings.

Conversely, if we take Monahan at 6, then I'd like us to take Petan at 28.

But me in the no to Petan camp, he is extremely one dimensional and doesn't play the style of game that other short players do. I don't think he will be successful in the NHL.

SaintMorose

Jul 21, 2009
But me in the no to Petan camp, he is extremely one dimensional and doesn't play the style of game that other short players do. I don't think he will be successful in the NHL.

Id second this.

There are quite a few drafts where I take Petan in the 25-31 range, but this is not one of them. Too many choices at 28 when he's a real risk not to have his game transition to the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad