GDT: #13|New York Islanders @ Ottawa Senators|November 1st |This Is The End| F S/O 5-4

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
(Cappy talking) "Not yet, REDBULL. He needs to pay his dues and learn more. He has made some mistakes so we may even sit him for the next game. Let him watch how the veterans play against a good team."

:laugh:

I swear I just got that voicemail from Capuano. Also mentioned "passengers" - couldn't make out the rest.

#goIsles

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
for who? he's miscast as a top pairing dman, not his fault we dont have better players on d.

on an unrelated note...
POP QUIZ: who leads the Dmen in +/-?!

Leads the D? He leads the whole team.

I like Hickey but I hate +/- . Radek Martinek played what may have been the worst game any defenceman has played for the Islanders tonight... and he was a +2.

This was a very odd game, but I was encouraged tonight by the forwards, they did a nice job. The defense struggled again, too many turnovers and careless passes. Very few of them protect the puck.

Boston is a much different team. Going to be very hard for the Islanders to coax them into a track meet. They are too disciplined for that. The up and down fast skating game was fun to watch but tomorrow night will be much different.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
I think if you replace martinek and carkner with strait and visnovsky, the defense will be okay. clearly too thin to absorb injuries tho. goaltending...well...thats another story.

Martinek ?? He's been the most solid D man since he got signed. :huh:
In 4 games he's had 2 assists and is a +2..this during when the team was not playing well.
Strait in 9 games had 1 assist and a -3..this when team was playing better.

Stats are not everything but they are an indication..the rest you can see when strait make errors and radek does not.

I don't see why you want Strait over Martinek.

Macdonald-Hamonic
Hickey-Visnovsky
Martinek-Donovan

Carkner/Strait

Last edited:

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I'd like to start getting Poulin some playing time as the #1. See what he can do in the next month+. I think the defense will work itself out once Visnovsky and Strait return. Hamonic looks good. Hickey has been great. Donovan looks to be finding his game as well. With Strait and Vis back as well as AMac in a 2nd or 3rd pairing role, we could be much, much better defensively.

Gotta see what Poulin can do though. If he fails, that's when you look to the trade market(or Nilsson if he's playing well in Bridgeport). If he succeeds, I could see them going on a nice run. The forwards look great, and could look even better when/if Strome replaces Regin at some point.

Just try to assemble this blue-line:

Hickey - Hamonic
Strait - Visnovsky
MacDonald - Donovan
x - Carkner/Martinek

Not elite but miles ahead of where we are now.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
That was the only negative from Okposo tonight imo. He has a good shot, just rip it.

Okposo? He does? Most times I see him miss the net or try his patented move, only to see the pick roll off of his stick. I think he'd be best trying to play a more physical game and less of the finesse. He fancies himself a skilled player, though. I think that is a large part of the problem. Once he realizes he has to be a bull in a china shop, he will be a beast. That is what he realized, I feel, in the playoffs last year. He just has to get in there and beast on guys.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Okposo? He does? Most times I see him miss the net or try his patented move, only to see the pick roll off of his stick. I think he'd be best trying to play a more physical game and less of the finesse. He fancies himself a skilled player, though. I think that is a large part of the problem. Once he realizes he has to be a bull in a china shop, he will be a beast. That is what he realized, I feel, in the playoffs last year. He just has to get in there and beast on guys.

He definitely has a good shot, unfortunately he hesitates and doesn't let it rip right away.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Leads the D? He leads the whole team.

I like Hickey but I hate +/- . Radek Martinek played what may have been the worst game any defenceman has played for the Islanders tonight... and he was a +2.

This was a very odd game, but I was encouraged tonight by the forwards, they did a nice job. The defense struggled again, too many turnovers and careless passes. Very few of them protect the puck.

Boston is a much different team. Going to be very hard for the Islanders to coax them into a track meet. They are too disciplined for that. The up and down fast skating game was fun to watch but tomorrow night will be much different.

Amac/Nabokov are killing Hamonic's +/-, he was a -3 tonight.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Nabby had some bad luck tonight. Made some big saves when it counted, including the shootout. Still want to know where the puck was on that phantom goal.

Team showed a lot of heart and grit in not giving up tonight. Big 2 points were badly needed. A few brainfarts that OTT took advantage of but a strong road game overall.

Amac had a bad play that lead to a goal, it was deflected off the forward. After that, he played very well, I was watching closely. Several strong plays in both zones. I liked the give-n-go with Vanek (I think).

Didn't like Vanek's shots on the breakaway and the shootout, but he gets a pass on those for now. But make a move man! He had a better game tonight, but needs to get his stamina up to keep up with the team. JT is trying to do too much on his own but he's leading by example. He may on the verge of a streak soon.

Hickey and Donovan are getting better. Both have great vision on the attack, great pass to Frans by Hickey. Donovan shows more poise in the O zone than on D, but held his own and played his most feisty game so far. Very nice play and patience on the 3 on 1. Potvin wasn't far off in saying young D need 300 games before they're seasoned, but I think even a half a season will do a lot for Donovan.

PMB and Regin getting more comfortable. PMB can really shoot with more power than expected and is skating a lot better than early on. Regin needs more strength to finish the things he starts but I can see him coming along and maybe winning us over. We shouldn't give up on these two so soon.

That was a relentless attack and we can expect more of that as the team gels. We're one of two or three teams that scored at least 2 goals in each game...

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Imagine if PMB actually starts to play like this. We'd be able to roll three strong lines. It would take some pressure off our defense and Nabby. I, personally, think Hickey should be playing with Hamonic. I think he'd be a perfect compliment to him. I know they tried it in training camp. You have to try guys together for several games or more to see if they can develop chemistry. Hickey is better than most give him credit for. Hickey realized he was not going to be the offensive D-man he was in junior, so he kind of reinvented himself as a solid defensive defenseman. I think he can be a player that can help us out. If we find a better player, ditch him. Until we do, I have no problem with him (as long as he plays like he has for most of the last year).

You can credit Lombardi for that.

Btw, 4:41 left in the third and Donovan breaks up a 3 on 1. He of course was the "1".

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Amac/Nabokov are killing Hamonic's +/-, he was a -3 tonight.

Ironically when Hamonic was paired with Carkner Ottawa scored, and it was Carkner doing a good job and Hamonic loosing his man resulting in a goal.

No bigger Carkner hater than me, but Carkner played well tonight. If only they could play Ottawa every night.

IHateSidney

Oct 30, 2011
NY
I missed the game I had bowling tonight but I caught bits and pieces of it at the alley. Franzie is kicking major ass. I think hes taking over as my favorite player.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
I'd like to start getting Poulin some playing time as the #1. See what he can do in the next month+. I think the defense will work itself out once Visnovsky and Strait return. Hamonic looks good. Hickey has been great. Donovan looks to be finding his game as well. With Strait and Vis back as well as AMac in a 2nd or 3rd pairing role, we could be much, much better defensively.

Gotta see what Poulin can do though. If he fails, that's when you look to the trade market(or Nilsson if he's playing well in Bridgeport). If he succeeds, I could see them going on a nice run. The forwards look great, and could look even better when/if Strome replaces Regin at some point.

Just try to assemble this blue-line:

Hickey - Hamonic
Strait - Visnovsky
MacDonald - Donovan
x - Carkner/Martinek

Not elite but miles ahead of where we are now.

Your point about getting Poulin some playing time makes complete sense. They need to find out if they have anything. If they don't, let him go after this season. He might be a good goalie. He sure looked good before he hurt his knee. Maybe, he'll never recapture that magic...maybe he can. They need to find out. If he sucks, dump him and bring someone else in.

I know this probably belongs in another thread, but I was just thinking today how good Paul Martin would look on this team playing with Hamonic on the first pairing. Problem is, the Pens would never trade him to us.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Nice win. So happy about that. I thought Vanek played a great game (snake bitten), I thought Hickey and Donovan played very well. Tavares had lots of chances. Nabby was a different goalie from the 3rd period on. Just so happy, it was crappy to have 40+ shots and being down 4-2. Nielsen is playing at another level, 6 goals in 48 games, and now 8 goals in 13 games. Is this Nielsen coming into his own ? Or was he always this talented. Oh yeah, Bouchard is growing on me, had his best game as an Islander. The start sucked, but loved the end results. Need another blowout win, can't handle these 1 goal games lol.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Ironically when Hamonic was paired with Carkner Ottawa scored, and it was Carkner doing a good job and Hamonic loosing his man resulting in a goal.

No bigger Carkner hater than me, but Carkner played well tonight. If only they could play Ottawa every night.

Eh, not really Hamonic's fault on Ryan's goal. Watch it again.

Karlsson takes the shot, Nabokov makes the save top of the crease. Hamonic was right on Ryan, but Ryan goes behind Nabokov to get to the other side of the net.

It was a very weird goal.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Very entertaining game for sure.

I liked how they played tonight with a lot of great scoring chances. Lehner was stellar for them. Defenseman played much better, they were unfortunate on some mistakes. Nabokov letting in a couple of goals he should have had, not really surprising because he's so inconsistent.

Capuano- Some of his decisions are mind-boggling. How do you not use your timeout with about 2 minutes left in the game when the Isles iced the puck? You have a timeout, USE IT. Also, not sure why the hell Carkner or Donovan would be playing in OT. Donovan played well tonight, but still. I would have went with Amac-Hamonic and Hickey-Martinek. I still think part of our defensive problems is because the wingers aren't in good position. They should be higher by the point, its tough to get the puck out when their not in good position when the defenseman are clearing the puck.

1st line played a great game. Okposo had a nice bounce back game for sure. JT was relentless out there, could have easily had a couple of more points. Vanek played very well, made a lot of great passes and also made some really nice plays in the defensive zone.

Cizikas is a hell of a hockey player, you have to love his game.

Nice to see Donovan play well offensively and defensively.

Would be nice to win 2 in a row.

I didn't mention Cizikas, but you are so right. How could you not love the way he plays. Must be so difficult to play against. Just a whirling demon out there. Plays the 4 th line, but typically is the most talented guy on the line. I'd love to see him play 3rd line minutes, he's better than Regin. Love the guy, works as hard as anyone on the Isles.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
People are very quick to warm up to PMB after a win. I thought he was figure skating through the first half of this game, just like the rest of the season. Nice of him to show up in the 3rd period tonight, but I'm not sold.

Grabner misses Nielsen. And to be honest Bailey misses Grabner. Both guys production have gone way down since that dominate line was broken up 4 games into the season. Frans has kept rolling and that's largely due to his PP time. PMB on that line instead of Grabner makes me want inflict bodily harm on Capuano.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
People are very quick to warm up to PMB after a win. I thought he was figure skating through the first half of this game, just like the rest of the season. Nice of him to show up in the 3rd period tonight, but I'm not sold.

Grabner misses Nielsen. And to be honest Bailey misses Grabner. Both guys production have gone way down since that dominate line was broken up 4 games into the season. Frans has kept rolling and that's largely due to his PP time. PMB on that line instead of Grabner makes me want inflict bodily harm on Capuano.

Tell me about it. It's very frustrating how Capuano uses Grabner, he should absolutely be on the 2nd line. I don't get most of the things he does.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
2 points that should have come in regulation time. Not the greatest sign when you outshoot the opponent 57-31, miss two clear breakaways and fail to even shoot (ok, one documented shot) on a 1:52 long 5-on-3 PP. Yikes!

Still, interesting to see an opponent that wore out quicker while the Isles seemed to be able to keep moving.

Lot of players contributed. Just amazing to see how Frans has 8 goals in 13 games after only having 6 in 48 games last season. Gotta love him!

I thought JT played his most impressive game in a while. Vanek was a tick better today, but still looks like a passenger who is winded after a 30 second shift. Starting to like Bouchard a bit more. Sure should have potted that gem of a pass from Martin though. He knows it.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

I wishwishwish they'd get those three together and let them roll.

Wait, even better, get them together, then flip Bailey with Okposo.

Just seems soooo obvious...

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
got lucky tonight. they should have beat themselves this game

Did we get unlucky the other night? How many other games would most fans have felt we should have won, but didn't. It works both ways. We outplayed the Sens tonight. We won.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
2 points that should have come in regulation time. Not the greatest sign when you outshoot the opponent 57-31, miss two clear breakaways and fail to even shoot (ok, one documented shot) on a 1:52 long 5-on-3 PP. Yikes!

Still, interesting to see an opponent that wore out quicker while the Isles seemed to be able to keep moving.

Lot of players contributed. Just amazing to see how Frans has 8 goals in 13 games after only having 6 in 48 games last season. Gotta love him!

I thought JT played his most impressive game in a while. Vanek was a tick better today, but still looks like a passenger who is winded after a 30 second shift. Starting to like Bouchard a bit more. Sure should have potted that gem of a pass from Martin though. He knows it.

I guess I'm watching a different game then you. A passenger? Really?

He made A LOT of great plays tonight.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Solid. Solid. Post.

PMB should be a healthy scratch when McDonald is ready.

Frans is such a good player. Cappy is doing all he can to get Bouchard going at the expense of Grabner and Bailey.

And Regin is a good 4th liner. Nothing more. His minutes should reflect that.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010

I really respect CHAPIN and consider him one of the best posters on this list, but I agree with you. I thought Vanek played fairly well. Regarding his pass to Tavares on his goal, have we EVER seen that type of pass from Moulson. Maybe, I am overstating things, but the point is that Vanek is THAT type of player. I thought Vanek played fairly well tonight...and I think they are going to get better together.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

He's slow, like Moulson. But he's more talented and a much better passer. Vanek played better, he'll be much more dangerous once he gets used to the team. Vanek isn't Clutterbuck or Cizikas with his effort, never will be. Not his game.

Expect a better. Moulson. Nothing more.

Side question: Has Moulson ever had a breakaway? I don't think so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad