GDT: #13|New York Islanders @ Ottawa Senators|November 1st |This Is The End| F S/O 5-4

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
This Is The End!!!

pzme.jpg

ge5r.jpg

Preview

The New York Islanders and Ottawa Senators are struggling to stop opponents.

Both have lost four of five, with the Islanders (4-5-3) allowing at least three goals in each and the Senators (4-6-2) surrendering 11 goals over back-to-back losses. Each club permits 3.1 goals per game, ranking near the bottom of the league.

New York's penalty kill has been lacking, allowing opponents to convert 3 of 7 chances in consecutive defeats, including two goals on four opportunities in Tuesday's 3-2 loss to the Rangers. The Islanders also went scoreless on six power plays in those two losses after going 7 for 18 in their previous five games.

Mediocre goaltending lately from Craig Anderson has hurt the Senators. He's allowed 11 goals on 69 shots in losses to San Jose and Chicago, including a hat trick to Jonathan Toews in Tuesday's 6-5 loss to the Blackhawks.

But Anderson, who had gone 4-2-2 with a .930 save percentage in his first eight starts, also pointed to the defense in front of him. The Senators surrendered 40 shots to the Blackhawks, and are allowing an NHL-worst 37.0 per game.

Seeking his first goal as an Islander will be Thomas Vanek, who didn't record a point against the Rangers after being acquired from Buffalo on Sunday in exchange for Matt Moulson and two draft picks. Vanek was slotted on the team's top line alongside Kyle Okposo and John Tavares, who had a 10-game point streak snapped.

Vanek is without a point in his last five meetings with Ottawa.

Jason Spezza has eight points in his last six games against the Islanders.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

http://islanders.nhl.com/team/app/

http://www.islesinfo.com/main.html

Last edited:

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
pls move grabs to 2nd line to get him going.

pls bench pmb and give nelson a shot.

pls don't send carkner out on the pk.

Good game everyone!

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
pls move grabs to 2nd line to get him going.

pls bench pmb and give nelson a shot.

pls don't send carkner out on the pk.

Good game everyone!

Weiss du was.....I think there is a reason they put Grabs on the 3rd line. IF Grabs is on the second or first lines, he will play a ton of minutes, but I'm thinking they put him on third line to prop it up and make it better while playing less time for 5 on 5 and having more energy for the PK.

That way they can put people like PMB on second to give him more minutes so he can start producing.

That's the only thing I can think of for putting him there, because he sure doesn't deserve it.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
Weiss du was.....I think there is a reason they put Grabs on the 3rd line. IF Grabs is on the second or first lines, he will play a ton of minutes, but I'm thinking they put him on third line to prop it up and make it better while playing less time for 5 on 5 and having more energy for the PK.

That way they can put people like PMB on second to give him more minutes so he can start producing.

That's the only thing I can think of for putting him there, because he sure doesn't deserve it.

As an aside: Grabs is the islander forward receiving the 3rd most SH TOI/game with 02:07. Cizikas is receiving the most SH TOI/game with 02:55.

However, Grabs is leading the isles forwards in SH TOI/goal against with 21:19 while Martin (who receives more SH TOI than Grabner) is 3rd among isles forwards with 08:28.

If Grabs were carrying the pk i would agree. However Cizikas/Martin are receiving slightly more SH TOI than Nielsen/Grabner. Either give Grabs more SH TOI or more ES TOI. Not doing one or the other smells a bit like Capuano punishment to me, and Grabs didn't really deserve that.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Echoing everyone's wish to bench Bouchard and start Nelson, move Bails up to 1st line and drop Okposo. With that being said, I am hoping our defense can hold up and worked on positioning and outlet skating/passing over the last few days. I know our offense will get it together but I am scared straight (or Strait if you prefer) of what our back line will do. They aren't big enough to physically match up so hopefully Thompson has worked with these guys on how to overcome this. Sens/Bruins back to back could be very uplifting or disastrous. Since we are on the road tonight, I am slightly more upbeat about today's game.

C'mon boys come with the fire you showed vs the Pens in the playoffs !!!

Go Isles !!! :handclap:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
tram similar to us....They have lost 3 in a row, lets make it 4....I hope Vanek and Johnny have been getting better and working during these last few days off...

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
{MOD EDIT- removed QP}

Love to hear what everything thinks the Islander muster up tonight. I swear, if I see guys passing up obvious shots tonight to be too cute, I just might lose the remaining mind I still have. I am hoping for 30+ shots tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:

CaptDenisPotvin

The Tampa Bay Astros are your 2021 Champions
Jun 20, 2007
Cappy seemed like he was beside himself with how the defense played after the rags game. Talking about a possible call-up....im assuming he was blowing smoke at this point, has anyone heard anytging in regards to a call up? And i do not watch the bridge, who should be the call up?

Go Isles! Hope we right the ship tonight!!!!

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Take PMB out of the lineup, put Nelson on the 3rd line with Cizikas and Clutterbuck. Put Grabs on the 2nd line playing with Bailey and Nielsen. If Okposo doesn't play well, switch Bailey and Okposo. 4th line should be Martin-Regin-McDonald.

Hit the net on the great scoring chances please.

Don't chase the puck.

Reduce the turnovers.

If they lose, I'm changing my avatar again.

Wedregast

Mar 26, 2009
My hope is the team practiced how to pass the puck properly to their linemates, instead of to the opponent or to open ice.

I won't make a prediction since we lost the last 2 games I did that. :(

SDIsles34

Jul 19, 2010
Are they purposefully screwing with Brock Nelson or what?

Tuesday lines vs NYR
Vanek-Tavares-Okposo;
Bouchard-Nielsen-Bailey;
Grabner-Regin-Clutterbuck;
Nelson-Cizikas-Martin

NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders 30 Oct
#Isles lines at practice:
Vanek-Nelson-Tavares-Okposo;
Bouchard-Boulton-Nielsen-Bailey;
Martin-Cizikas-McDonald

NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders 31 Oct
#Isles lines at practice:
Vanek-Tavares-Okposo;
Bouchard-Nelson-Nielsen-Bailey;
Martin-Boulton-Cizikas-McDonald

NYIslanders ‏@NYIslanders 37m
Capuano: Nabokov back in goal and no lineup changes tonight from Tuesday's game. #Isles

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
No changes to the lineup? Oh man it really sucks that our defensive prospects aren't ready. Cause we could really use some players on the bench, but problem is that there is no one to even call up. Our defensive depth is terrible right now.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Nice job MM!

No lineup changes. Finally! If it ain't broke don't fix it. Err.. if it's not... bad, don't change... uhh.. fooled me once.... shame on... you. We lose we can't lose again!

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
what a joke, how is there no call up? not that it is guaranteed to help, but it cant be much worse

if anything it could give a little spark

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
Ottawa has had an interesting year thus far, they have very high expectations for this team and they have been in a downfall as of late. They had a players only meeting and the lines have been completely changed. If we beat Ottawa tonight they may make some trades to shake up the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad