GDT: #13|New York Islanders @ Ottawa Senators|November 1st |This Is The End| F S/O 5-4

kpap57

Jun 24, 2008
EX Long Islander
This is a game where we battled ourselves.

Offense vs our defense. Offense won.

This needs to be resolved.

I know it's a team defense, but really..

Nyifan12

Oct 1, 2011
Why not ask him in the interview who will be in net tomorrow night and status of Strait and Viz?

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
...if Ryan actually finished the play instead of assuming it was a goal he would have scored...

Yeah. I am not worried about what should have been. How many times have we hit post or flubbed passes where we "should have scored" only to lose the game. Man, that has happened to us a few times this season already.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
Their best game of the season. Not many defensive breakdowns, good pinching, good transition, good job recovering dump ins. Just good all around. Nabby gave up a couple weak goals, but **** happens. Hopefully this is a turning point.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
They stole a game that the Sens had stolen that the Islanders came out hot on...
Vanek-Tavares looking better.
PMB has his best game by a big margin
Nabokov plays like a goat, Cappy defies all logic keeping him in, and he then plays really well.
Capuano ignores the time out....

Strange game. The good news is they got the win and they also had the two biggest issues get exposed for the problems they are. That is a win-win.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I think if you replace martinek and carkner with strait and visnovsky, the defense will be okay. clearly too thin to absorb injuries tho. goaltending...well...thats another story.

FourRings

Mar 26, 2013
New York City
Was impressed with Hickey, Donovan and Hamonic tonight and the defense as whole didn't play horrendously. Said it once and I'll say it again, this was the best they have played.

Barz1

Oct 22, 2011
I think if you replace martinek and carkner with strait and visnovsky, the defense will be okay. clearly too thin to absorb injuries tho. goaltending...well...thats another story.

know it wont happen , but would rather have amac sit!!

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
They stole a game that the Sens had stolen that the Islanders came out hot on...
Nabokov plays like a goat, Cappy defies all logic keeping him in, and he then plays really well.

Strange game. The good news is they got the win and they also had the two biggest issues get exposed for the problems they are. That is a win-win.

Imagine if PMB actually starts to play like this. We'd be able to roll three strong lines. It would take some pressure off our defense and Nabby. I, personally, think Hickey should be playing with Hamonic. I think he'd be a perfect compliment to him. I know they tried it in training camp. You have to try guys together for several games or more to see if they can develop chemistry. Hickey is better than most give him credit for. Hickey realized he was not going to be the offensive D-man he was in junior, so he kind of reinvented himself as a solid defensive defenseman. I think he can be a player that can help us out. If we find a better player, ditch him. Until we do, I have no problem with him (as long as he plays like he has for most of the last year).

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Very entertaining game for sure.

I liked how they played tonight with a lot of great scoring chances. Lehner was stellar for them. Defenseman played much better, they were unfortunate on some mistakes. Nabokov letting in a couple of goals he should have had, not really surprising because he's so inconsistent.

Capuano- Some of his decisions are mind-boggling. How do you not use your timeout with about 2 minutes left in the game when the Isles iced the puck? You have a timeout, USE IT. Also, not sure why the hell Carkner or Donovan would be playing in OT. Donovan played well tonight, but still. I would have went with Amac-Hamonic and Hickey-Martinek. I still think part of our defensive problems is because the wingers aren't in good position. They should be higher by the point, its tough to get the puck out when their not in good position when the defenseman are clearing the puck.

1st line played a great game. Okposo had a nice bounce back game for sure. JT was relentless out there, could have easily had a couple of more points. Vanek played very well, made a lot of great passes and also made some really nice plays in the defensive zone.

Cizikas is a hell of a hockey player, you have to love his game.

Nice to see Donovan play well offensively and defensively.

Would be nice to win 2 in a row.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
know it wont happen , but would rather have amac sit!!

for who? he's miscast as a top pairing dman, not his fault we dont have better players on d.

on an unrelated note...
POP QUIZ: who leads the Dmen in +/-?!

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Wise guy. Why not look up a game when Smitty was in goal.

I will be more specific ; Do you think the 2013/2014 NYI could give up 50+ shots and get a point?

Well obviously not unless we bring back DP.

(Just living up to wise guy status)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Did anyone else see the kick to the boot Hamonic sustained from a Senator he dumped next to their net? It was right after a play stoppage. How is that not a game misconduct? The ref was right there.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
and look at what the islanders did against the rangers last week.

Fine. Teams don't always play their best against their rivals, but they often do. Maybe, Vanek will disappear. Maybe he'll be a man possessed. I am hoping for the latter given what our friends from Buffalo have said. We'll know by this time tomorrow night.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island

Awful coaching job by Capuano, nothing new.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Donovan is looking better and better. Kid's gotta be on the #1 PP unit. That 5on3 with AMac KO passing back and forth was shameful. With Vanek, Tavares & Nielsen watching.

frankieboy

Mar 10, 2010
Donovan is looking better and better. Kid's gotta be on the #1 PP unit. That 5on3 with AMac KO passing back and forth was shameful. With Vanek, Tavares & Nielsen watching.

(Cappy talking) "Not yet, REDBULL. He needs to pay his dues and learn more. He has made some mistakes so we may even sit him for the next game. Let him watch how the veterans play against a good team."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad