GDT: #13|New York Islanders @ Ottawa Senators|November 1st |This Is The End| F S/O 5-4

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Carkner is still really really slow and really really bad..

The condensed game didn't do him justice. He wasn't a rock on defense, but it was his best game by a country mile.

Btw, how do you like gcl? It is my first year and have had some issues but overall I do not miss center ice at all. The isles feed was stutter, but the Ott feed was perfect, plus no Butch.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Agree with the concept of an upgrade on Moulson's abilities with Vanek in place, but Chapin's description about looking winded too quickly is on the nose. The guy is either very out of shape, injured, or smoking cloves on the weekend.

Either way his version of slow is more dynamic than Moulson's. I think it is going to take time for Tavares to unlearn some habits he took on from the past few years of linemates, so expect the points to start bubbling out at a higher rate every ten games.

JeffNYI

Jun 16, 2006
"At 14:47 of the second period in the Islanders/Senators game, video review from the in-net camera supported the referee's call on the ice that Clarke MacArthur's shot completely crossed the goal line. Good Goal Ottawa."

That was the explanation on NHL.com for MacArthur's goal, and to prove the puck was in the net they posted a picture that showed neither the puck NOR the goal line.

The officiating and Toronto "war room" were as embarrassing at times as Nabokov tonight.

Nabby's not been as bad as his stats say he is.. the defense has played terrible in front of him most of the year.. but at the same time, Nabby is not playing at a level this season that will allow us to make the playoffs..

Were it not for our offense, we'd be a bottom 3 team in the NHL.

They showed and talked about Vanek looking tired on TV.. I don't know why he was so tired, it looked like he wasn't even trying.. that said, if he can set up a great goal, a few other chances and get a breakaway LITERALLY effortlessly - then he could be a VERY dangerous player for us..

The bottom line is we deserved the two points and got them, and Ottawa got a point they definitely didn't deserve.

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Gotta say I'm impressed with the overall conditioning of the Isles. For an elite player like vanek to come here and look so out of shape shows how fit the others are.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
"At 14:47 of the second period in the Islanders/Senators game, video review from the in-net camera supported the referee's call on the ice that Clarke MacArthur's shot completely crossed the goal line. Good Goal Ottawa."

That was the explanation on NHL.com for MacArthur's goal, and to prove the puck was in the net they posted a picture that showed neither the puck NOR the goal line.

The officiating and Toronto "war room" were as embarrassing at times as Nabokov tonight.

Nabby's not been as bad as his stats say he is.. the defense has played terrible in front of him most of the year.. but at the same time, Nabby is not playing at a level this season that will allow us to make the playoffs..

Were it not for our offense, we'd be a bottom 3 team in the NHL.

They showed and talked about Vanek looking tired on TV.. I don't know why he was so tired, it looked like he wasn't even trying.. that said, if he can set up a great goal, a few other chances and get a breakaway LITERALLY effortlessly - then he could be a VERY dangerous player for us..

The bottom line is we deserved the two points and got them, and Ottawa got a point they definitely didn't deserve.

i saw the goal line. Wasn't where the "puck" was, but it's a straight line so that bluck smudge was definetly behind the projected goal line.

thumb

Jul 18, 2006
I had to watch the Senators telecast last night. For those that don't know, Dennis Potvin is now the color commentator. It was actually refreshing to hear the announcers criticize the Islanders. It wasn't the usual kool aid from Howie and Butch. After every goal, Potvin said that Nabby should have stopped the shot. He tells it like it is. He said something about Islanders fans wishing they had Billy Smith in net. In 35 years of watching the Islanders, I really can't remember a poorer performance by an Islander goaltender. He was worse last night than in the playoffs last year. Potvin also pointed out Capuano's many mistakes during the game like keeping Nabby in net, not calling a timeout at one point and leaving JT on the bench for the shoot-out.

Right now, our biggest problems are in net and behind the bench. If those aren't addressed, we simply are not a playoff team.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
i dont agree with that at all. point out one goal tonight that you or i couldnt have stopped.
when you give up 4 very saveable goals and your team needs to win in a ( moronic part of the game ) shoot-out......that should pretty much tell you that you suck. just retire and enjoy your millions........just go the **** away. youre not needed on long island any more.

nabakov is killing this ****ing team. they know that they have to score at least 4 times to win. that puts pressure on them. so when they try to play over their heads, and get burned, nabakov is not there to bail them out.

and people ***** about carkner being useless.......

stare straight into the net and youll see the most useless guy on the ice.

For his locker room presence and not playing every game, I think he'd do well in the backup role.

The condensed game didn't do him justice. He wasn't a rock on defense, but it was his best game by a country mile.

Btw, how do you like gcl? It is my first year and have had some issues but overall I do not miss center ice at all. The isles feed was stutter, but the Ott feed was perfect, plus no Butch.

Okay, thanks for the insight into the game.

I used GCL last season, but I'm one of the people who have dropped it and have been using a script someone created in order to watch GCL streams for free.

When I actually paid for the product last season, I was quite please. A few hiccups here and there, but nothing really bad.

NHL Tonight showed a video of the puck being over the line. It was legit.

I had to watch the Senators telecast last night. For those that don't know, Dennis Potvin is now the color commentator. It was actually refreshing to hear the announcers criticize the Islanders. It wasn't the usual kool aid from Howie and Butch. After every goal, Potvin said that Nabby should have stopped the shot. He tells it like it is. He said something about Islanders fans wishing they had Billy Smith in net. In 35 years of watching the Islanders, I really can't remember a poorer performance by an Islander goaltender. He was worse last night than in the playoffs last year. Potvin also pointed out Capuano's many mistakes during the game like keeping Nabby in net, not calling a timeout at one point and leaving JT on the bench for the shoot-out.

Right now, our biggest problems are in net and behind the bench. If those aren't addressed, we simply are not a playoff team.

I don't think Howie is bad compared to other commentators when it comes to criticizing his own team. Obviously they sugarcoat some things, but almost all announcers do that for their home team. I've heard Howie get on the team for things before or question coaching decisions.

But, Potvin knows first hand what he's talking about and it must have been refreshing to hear that. I might have to go back and re-watch the game with Potvin's announcing now. :D

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
I gotta compliment one thing, this team didn't give up. They kept on fighting to get back into the game and ultimately that led to the W.

In years past down two goals, this team would have sulked and shut down. Happy to see the boys grind it out.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
I thought Donovan had by far his best game. Engaged on Ryan a few times. PMB showed some life - still looks very shy. Amac is holding on to the puck wayyy to long. He needs to move it earlier. Also, why are the isles trying these long stretch passes so much this year? They look so much better with short, basic passes coming out of the zone. Utilizes their speed so much more. Just some thoughts.

JetsMetsIsles

Nov 20, 2009
I gotta compliment one thing, this team didn't give up. They kept on fighting to get back into the game and ultimately that led to the W.

In years past down two goals, this team would have sulked and shut down. Happy to see the boys grind it out.

Our offense is clearly the strength of our team. If our first line gets hot we can put up some scary numbers. Our problem is with Vis and Strait out our D looks awful with Carkner and Donovan. Then of course Nabby has struggled to start the year behind a poor D.

We're a top line Dman and legitimate goalie away from being a solid team.

Islander102

Dec 28, 2006

You know Vanek and Nielsen are 2 of the best shootout performers in the history of the league right? Why should Tavares go before them?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I thought Donovan had by far his best game. Engaged on Ryan a few times. PMB showed some life - still looks very shy. Amac is holding on to the puck wayyy to long. He needs to move it earlier. Also, why are the isles trying these long stretch passes so much this year? They look so much better with short, basic passes coming out of the zone. Utilizes their speed so much more. Just some thoughts.

You're absolutely right about the stretch passes.

You know Vanek and Nielsen are 2 of the best shootout performers in the history of the league right? Why should Tavares go before them?

I agree, there's no need for Tavares to go first. I'm fine with Vanek shooting before him, especially since they want to give him opportunities to make an impact and become a part of the team.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
hi guys, have caught a few isles games here and there and couple of q's.

is tavares better defensively than he was last year? has looked great to me this year when i've seen him.

what do you think is realistic upside for brock nelson?

i've been little unimpressed with andy macdonald, i'm guess he's little too high at the depth chart as #2D?

thumb

Jul 18, 2006

I have no problem with vanek and Nielsen. IMO, Tavares should be ahead of PMB on the shoot out chart.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

I also listened to the Sens broadcast and heard the same thing. Potvin was complimentary of Hickey and Hamonic and the Isles speed as well. Isles are starting to get respect around the league. Of course, they'll need to win more. They were excellent against OTT

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
For his locker room presence and not playing every game, I think he'd do well in the backup role.

Okay, thanks for the insight into the game.

I used GCL last season, but I'm one of the people who have dropped it and have been using a script someone created in order to watch GCL streams for free.

When I actually paid for the product last season, I was quite please. A few hiccups here and there, but nothing really bad.

NHL Tonight showed a video of the puck being over the line. It was legit.

I don't think Howie is bad compared to other commentators when it comes to criticizing his own team. Obviously they sugarcoat some things, but almost all announcers do that for their home team. I've heard Howie get on the team for things before or question coaching decisions.

But, Potvin knows first hand what he's talking about and it must have been refreshing to hear that. I might have to go back and re-watch the game with Potvin's announcing now. :D

Howie was always by far my favorite sports announcer, but I really think Butch brings the worst out of him. Butch's crazy ramblings and homerisms are starting rub off. Howie was always one of those guys to tell it like it is too, but Butch is holding him back.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Howie was always by far my favorite sports announcer, but I really think Butch brings the worst out of him. Butch's crazy ramblings and homerisms are starting rub off. Howie was always one of those guys to tell it like it is too, but Butch is holding him back.

It's not Butch, it's Wang. Howie saw Jaffe speak his mind and be critical of the team, and he lost his gig for it. You tend to go 'homer' after something like that, especially when you see who replaces him.

Jaffe was the best color commentator the team ever had.

DVon Du Nord

Apr 30, 2012
Kildare, IE
It's not Butch, it's Wang. Howie saw Jaffe speak his mind and be critical of the team, and he lost his gig for it. You tend to go 'homer' after something like that, especially when you see who replaces him.

Jaffe was the best color commentator the team ever had.

I suppose, and I loved Jaffe as well.

luki here

Jan 30, 2011
Vienna
hi guys, have caught a few isles games here and there and couple of q's.

is tavares better defensively than he was last year? has looked great to me this year when i've seen him.

what do you think is realistic upside for brock nelson?

i've been little unimpressed with andy macdonald, i'm guess he's little too high at the depth chart as #2D?

tavares has been stronger on his skates and, as a result, better defensively since the partial lockout.

we had pegged nelson as a c, but it is looking as though the isles are looking to try him as a lw first. Realistically we hope he turns into a good, defensively responsible 2nd liner. I think he is better suited as a centre, as he is great on draws and brings size into the equation.

Amac has been bad. He can play better, but shouldn't be given the minutes he has received. Personally, I don't think the isles will resign him.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
tavares has been stronger on his skates and, as a result, better defensively since the partial lockout.

we had pegged nelson as a c, but it is looking as though the isles are looking to try him as a lw first. Realistically we hope he turns into a good, defensively responsible 2nd liner. I think he is better suited as a centre, as he is great on draws and brings size into the equation.

Amac has been bad. He can play better, but shouldn't be given the minutes he has received. Personally, I don't think the isles will resign him.

thank you sir.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
You guys are going to LOVE Vanek during the shootouts. My goodness, he rarely misses. You should see his point blank slap shots on shootouts, its a thing of beauty.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->