Post-Game Talk: #13: Maple Leafs at FLYERS, Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I dont think they are playing for the shootout...

I do think they are purposely trying to manager "quality" I.E. try and ensure that first and foremost they are set-up well and the only chance they "take" are high % ones.

Hence the amount of times they have peeled off and rest etc.

So if they removed the loser point, and the shootout, teams would have much more incentive in, say, a 10 minute 3 on 3 to actually seal the deal and win.

Or give 2 pts for regulation or OT win, and only 1 point for a SO win.

No points for losing because, you know, you lost.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I could honestly see Fletch calling up Frost by next weekend. We do have a need and Frost seems to be getting it.

Now, if Laughton and Patrick weren't both out, I'd be fine with letting him really work on his game in LHV, but hey, there's a spot for the taking.

Worst case, give him until Laughton comes back.

I'd go

Lindblom/Couturier/Konecny
Giroux/Hayes/Farabee
JVR/Frost/Voracek
Raffl/Rubtsov/Twarynski

I think Giroux and Farabee could actually help Hayes get better offensive looks as much as he could help them with his strong possession game.

Anyone got Fletch on speed dial?

Reactions: Beef Invictus

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
I could honestly see Fletch calling up Frost by next weekend. We do have a need and Frost seems to be getting it.

Now, if Laughton and Patrick weren't both out, I'd be fine with letting him really work on his game in LHV, but hey, there's a spot for the taking.

I'd go

Giroux/Hayes/Farabee
JVR/Frost/Voracek
Raffl/Rubtsov/Twarynski

I think Giroux and Farabee could actually help Hayes get better offensive looks as much as he could help them with his strong possession game.

idk from what I have seen from hayes, I do not want guys that need the puck with him. He holds onto the puck so long that at times he just runs out of room and loses it. I do not want g with him. Would also be so bad to have jvr and voracek together with a rookie center. JVR and vorakce together DO NOT WORK. We saw what a subtle little change of swapping voracek and farabee did. The top line was much faster and fluent. I would give them another go with the lines they have. G has been good at center so far. Now if they do call frost up I would go:

g-couts-tk
jvr-hayes-farabee
lindblom-frost-voracek
raff-rubstov-tawrynski

i know bringing lindblom down to the 3rd is not ideal as you want him in the top 6 but he will still get his minutes on that line and the top pp. Lindblom can thrive with anyone, his game is suited for anyone really. Arguably, that 3rd line is really the 2nd line

Reactions: DaphneLion

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Getting back to the real purpose of this thread, music, I'm gonna put in a pitch for Steely Dan. Can't Buy a Thrill, Countdown to Ecstasy, Pretzel Logic, Katy Lied, The Royal Scam and Aja, all released in the 70's, was impressive work.

Patti smith horses is such a great album. Love it

I understand someone not liking Patti Smith.

Patti's not to everyone's taste, but as an authentic artist, she's had it going on for a long time.

Here's a really good cover of Gimme Shelter from her appearance on a Jools Holland show in 2007.

Peak Miles Davis? You kiddin' me? Kind of Blue, In A Silent Way, Sketches of Spain, nothing he did since then compares!

Great stuff, but I'll put in a plug for the work of his "second great quintet" with Ron Carter (my favorite Bass player), Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter and Tony Williams. ESP, Miles Smiles, Miles in the Sky, Nefertiti are all pretty "peak" stuff. What a great band.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
idk from what I have seen from hayes, I do not want guys that need the puck with him. He holds onto the puck so long that at times he just runs out of room and loses it. I do not want g with him. Would also be so bad to have jvr and voracek together with a rookie center. JVR and vorakce together DO NOT WORK. We saw what a subtle little change of swapping voracek and farabee did. The top line was much faster and fluent. I would give them another go with the lines they have. G has been good at center so far. Now if they do call frost up I would go:

g-couts-tk
jvr-hayes-farabee
lindblom-frost-voracek
raff-rubstov-tawrynski

i know bringing lindblom down to the 3rd is not ideal as you want him in the top 6 but he will still get his minutes on that line and the top pp. Lindblom can thrive with anyone, his game is suited for anyone really. Arguably, that 3rd line is really the 2nd line
I was those lines...but switch Farabee and TK for me.

Reactions: flyersNducks

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
G at center is a short-term fix.
Frost will be up by Thanksgiving, maybe with Morin after next weekend, unless Patrick goes to Lourdes and has a miracle recovery.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas
Stones were by far their best with Mick Taylor in the lineup, it’s not even close. His work on Exile on Main Street is flat out gorgeous.

Brian Jones was an amazing all around musician but by 1967 he was a shell of his former self. Wood is a good player, but nothing special.

There was a time when Jeff Beck was supposed to replace Taylor. That would have been something.

Reactions: BiggE and Foggy14

Yukon Cornelius

Oct 10, 2019
SC PA
Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" and "The Letter" should get honorable mentions as amazing covers.

I can't hear With a Little Help... without immediately thinking of The Wonder Years, which was a great show back in the day.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Any prog metal fans? Dream Theater, Symphony X, Leprous, BtBaM. Great workout tunes.

Or Coleman Hawkins? He’s one of my Sunday morning go-tos.

I’m also a sucker for Charlie Puth. Intriguing guy.

Reactions: BiggE

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I was introduced to them by "Blue Monday," which I like a lot more today than I did then (I hated it back then). Then eventually I went back around to Joy Division and I couldn't believe they were mostly the same group of people, minus the Grand-Canyon-sized absence of Ian Curtis. They just aren't my jam. The song I actually like the best is probably "Regret," which is a weird thing to say :laugh:
regret is my favorite NO song. Great bassline.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I was introduced to them by "Blue Monday," which I like a lot more today than I did then (I hated it back then). Then eventually I went back around to Joy Division and I couldn't believe they were mostly the same group of people, minus the Grand-Canyon-sized absence of Ian Curtis. They just aren't my jam. The song I actually like the best is probably "Regret," which is a weird thing to say :laugh:

I always liked the Orgy version of Blue Monday.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" and "The Letter" should get honorable mentions as amazing covers.

I can't hear With a Little Help... without immediately thinking of The Wonder Years, which was a great show back in the day.

I lived ~150m away from Jo Cocker's childhood home when I was in my final year of Undergrad. And then 200m away but on the same street during my Masters.

His "Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood" cover is also amazing.

Rick Savage of Def Leppard's house was 100m in the other direction. :laugh:

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK

I'd go

Giroux/Hayes/Farabee
JVR/Frost/Voracek
Raffl/Rubtsov/Twarynski

From watching the Phantoms, i can see that Frost is getting it but he's not there yet. He's a special prospect but i don't think he's quite the difference maker at this level yet that you think he'll be. For me, give him another month to build on it and then maybe.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I disagree. Thought we outplayed one of the best teams in the league for 55 minutes.

Keep that up and we are a strong play-off team.

Yeh, they have been frustrating at times so far but:

Flames
Penguins
Islanders

are the 3/13 games they have been clearly outplayed.

Devils, Canucks, Blue Jackets and 2nd Blackhawks games were ~pretty even.

The other 6 games the Flyers were clearly the better team over 60 minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad