Post-Game Talk: #13: Maple Leafs at FLYERS, Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
My point was more about the fantasies that rock critics create in their reviews. I find it rather onanistic, if you catch my drift, and I know you will.

The real deal-breaker for me in those "reviews" is when they start trying to create an objective standard, or a normative judgment over what it "should" or "shouldn't" be.

Really? Then go write your own music.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It always comes down to Sick Boy’s unifying theory of life from Trainspotting, though: “At one point you’ve got it. Then you lose it. And it’s gone forever. All walks of life.”

Counterpoint: David Bowie (who is my favorite artist). After a couple decades of doing the usual over the hill musical genius thing of producing inconsistent works mostly for the die hards, The Next Day, was a very solid album that at times harkened back to peak Bowie. A handful of really underrated catchy tunes.

But how he churned up the energy for Blackstar, which might be his most musically audacious work and should rank up there with any of his best albums on creative merit — on his deathbed nearing age 70 — seems in stark defiance to this general principle. It almost seems impossible that this album exists because it’s not even a rehash of past successful works. But if anyone could buck a trend it was Bowie.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Counterpoint: David Bowie (who is my favorite artist). After a couple decades of doing the usual over the hill musical genius thing of producing inconsistent works mostly for the die hards, The Next Day, was a very solid album that at times harkened back to peak Bowie. A handful of really underrated catchy tunes.

But how he churned up the energy for Blackstar, which might be his most musically audacious work and should rank up there with any of his best albums on creative merit — on his deathbed nearing age 70 — seems in stark defiance to this general principle. It almost seems impossible that this album exists because it’s not even a rehash of past successful works. But if anyone could buck a trend it was Bowie.
I’ll have to check that out. I’m not a Bowie expert, though I certainly like some of his stuff.

Funnily enough he’s referenced in the Trainspotting scene to which I’m referring (by the way, truly one of the great artistic masterpieces of all time — writing, acting, directing. I’ll take it over Venus de Milo any day).

Sick Boy: It's certainly a phenomenon in all walks of life.
Mark: What do you mean?
Sick Boy: Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever. All walks of life: George Best, for example. Had it, lost it. Or David Bowie, or Lou Reed.
Mark: Lou Reed, some of his solo stuff's not bad.
Sick Boy: No, it's not bad, but it's not great either. And in your heart you kind of know that although it sounds all right, it's actually just shite.
Mark: So who else?
Sick Boy: Charlie Nicholas, David Niven, Malcolm McLaren, Elvis Presley . . .
Mark: OK, OK, so what's the point you're trying to make?
Sick Boy: All I'm trying to do, Mark, is help you understand that The Name of The Rose is merely a blip on an otherwise uninterrupted downward trajectory.
Mark: What about The Untouchables?
Sick Boy: I don't rate that at all.
Mark: Despite the Academy Award?
Sick Boy: That means **** all. It's a sympathy vote.
Mark: Right. So we all get old and then we can't hack it anymore. Is that it?
Sick Boy: Yeah.
Mark: That's your theory?
Sick Boy: Yeah. Beautifully ****ing illustrated.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Didn't intend to commandeer this thread, but since it got steered toward music and writing, one of the great underrated movies ever is Wonder Boys. Terrific cast. Michael Douglas, Robert Downey, Jr., Toby Maguire, Katie Holmes, Frances MacDormand, Rip Torn... and utterly brilliant dialogue, about a burned out English professor and a troubled but genius creative writing student:

James nods vaguely, then reaches into the ashtray, takes
a JOINT between his fingers, sniffs it.

JAMES LEER
Humboldt County?

GRADY
(surprised)
Maybe...

JAMES LEER
It's my father. He gets it from his doctor.

GRADY
Glaucoma?

JAMES LEER
Colon cancer.

GRADY
Jesus, James. Wow.

James puts the joint back in the ashtray.

JAMES' LEER
It's a bit of a scandal. My parents live in a
small town.

GRADY
Where's that?

JAMES LEER
Carvel.

GRADY
Carvel? Where's Carvel?

JAMES LEER
Outside Scranton.

GRADY
I never heard of it.

JAMES LEER
It's a hellhole. Three motels and a mannequin
factory. My dad worked there for thirty-five
years.

GRADY
Your father worked in a mannequin factory?

JAMES LEER
Seitz Plastics. That's where he met my morn.
She was a fry cook in the cafeteria. Before
that, she'd been a dancer.

GRADY
What kind of dancer? .

JAMES LEER
Whatever kind they wanted her to be.

GRADY
(in disbelief)
James Leer, are you telling me your mother was
a stripper?

JAMES LEER
I'm telling you what I was told by my uncle.
And he should know. He ran half a dozen men's
clubs in Baltimore before he skipped town on a
bad debt.

GRADY
Didn't you say your Mom went to Catholic
school?

JAMES LEER
When we fall, we fall hard.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Curtis Hanson was a very underrated and versatile writer-director who sadly passed away too soon. LA Confidential will always be one of my absolute favorite movies in just about every way.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
It would be interesting to see music evolve away from melodies and harmonies and all the musical things that we recognize as music, and turn to a bunch of pretty random sounds and noise

There was a composer who started out in the 30's named John Cage. He subscribed to the thought that all noise was music, no matter what it sounded like. He was extremely experimental, and he would put nails and other pieces of metal in the piano strings to present different sounds. Really interesting guy.

He's most known for a composition called 4' 33". It's 4 minutes, 33 seconds of straight silence. The pianist opens the piano and sits there. His thought was that the music is the sound of the audience.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
There was a composer who started out in the 30's named John Cage. He subscribed to the thought that all noise was music, no matter what it sounded like. He was extremely experimental, and he would put nails and other pieces of metal in the piano strings to present different sounds. Really interesting guy.

He's most known for a composition called 4' 33". It's 4 minutes, 33 seconds of straight silence. The pianist opens the piano and sits there. His thought was that the music is the sound of the audience.

I wouldn't mind going back in time and punching that man.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Curtis Hanson was a very underrated and versatile writer-director who sadly passed away too soon. LA Confidential will always be one of my absolute favorite movies in just about every way.

Yep. Definitely a classic.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

i always knew Bowie would go out with a bang. He is the ultimate showman.

i have a theory about his post scary monsters years that makes a lot of sense. First off no one is ever going to be able to top that run of bowie albums from mwstw to scary monsters. The albums after that are actually not bad , they are just held to a standard that he set for himself and that no one else could obtain. If lets dance was a queen album, it would’ve been their best ever. If it was a stones album it would’ve been their best of the 80’s. However it was a bowie album and it didn’t change the world as we knew it like he normally does so we have to downgrade it.

Reactions: Magua

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY

I had a flashback to a live show I went to at a bar to see a local industrial band I liked. After they were done someone else got up there and was fiddling with knobs but I couldn't hear anything over the crowd. After about ten minutes of this, with no announcement of technical difficulties, I could only assume that it was SUPPOSED to be like that and I left.

Reactions: VladDrag

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad