Post-Game Talk: #13: Maple Leafs at FLYERS, Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
BTW I'll take the Seattle bands of the 90s over the first wave of the British Invasion.

This guy knows music.

I wouldn't. Grunge needs some time in the rinse cycle.

The 90's had the grunge movement, but that does not define the entirety of 90's music. From individual singers/songwriters to rap to alternative to hip hop to soft rock to grunge to Ricky Martin (I find him horrible - this was a joke). The 90's was groundbreaking music just like the 70's, though not as politically charged but some highly decorated bands like RATM and the rap industry were much more vocal about the plights and injustices of that time.

Any prog metal fans? Dream Theater, Symphony X, Leprous, BtBaM. Great workout tunes.

Or Coleman Hawkins? He’s one of my Sunday morning go-tos.

I’m also a sucker for Charlie Puth. Intriguing guy.

Everyone named in your post is great, but Between the Buried and Me (BtBaM for those who are unaware of the acronym) is a top 3 band of mine. They compose some of the most intricate music I have ever listened to. They take giant dookies on the classical greats like Mozart, J.P. Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, etc. If you don't understand why I listed those men in the previous sentence in comparison to a great progressive metal band like BtBaM, then I firmly believe you do not have good taste in music at all.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

ybnvs

Mar 20, 2014
When Bob Marley said, "One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain." he was lying.

Good music encompasses the entirety of the emotional spectrum. Good, bad, pain, happiness, etc.. It's why Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is one of the most emotional albums I have ever listened to. They hit upon every emotion on the spectrum I'm capable of feeling and quantifying.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
When Bob Marley said, "One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain." he was lying.

Good music encompasses the entirety of the emotional spectrum. Good, bad, pain, happiness, etc.. It's why Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness is one of the most emotional albums I have ever listened to. They hit upon every emotion on the spectrum I'm capable of feeling and quantifying.
Great music makes you feel things you didn't know you were capable of feeling. That's why Let Go and Under My Skin are the two best albums I have ever listened to. They taught me things about myself.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Any prog metal fans? Dream Theater, Symphony X, Leprous, BtBaM. Great workout tunes.

I love 3 of the 4 of them. Never listened to Leprous, but goddamn do I love myself some Between the Buried and Me. BTBAM is up there with my favorite bands ever.

Everyone named in your post is great, but Between the Buried and Me (BtBaM for those who are unaware of the acronym) is a top 3 band of mine. They compose some of the most intricate music I have ever listened to. They take giant dookies on the classical greats like Mozart, J.P. Bach, Vivaldi, Beethoven, etc. If you don't understand why I listed those men in the previous sentence in comparison to a great progressive metal band like BtBaM, then I firmly believe you do not have good taste in music at all.

I still wish I had the time to go to the Colors 10th Anniversary tour. Goddamn that would of been amazing to hear White Walls live.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
From watching the Phantoms, i can see that Frost is getting it but he's not there yet. He's a special prospect but i don't think he's quite the difference maker at this level yet that you think he'll be. For me, give him another month to build on it and then maybe.

I mean, my preference is to give Frost the time he needs in LHV.

The challenge is that Patrick and Laughton are out, Couturier is not 100%, G is better at wing.

Meltzer had a piece this morning on this whole situation...
HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Musings & Quick Hits: Practice Day, Phantoms, Leadership and Much More

* With all of this said, sometimes necessity forces an organization's hand. Nolan Patrick's return to the Flyers' lineup is unpredictable; he's still on the same nebulous week-to-week basis, subject to his migraine issues. Scott Laughton, who moved from center to left wing before suffered a broken right index finger and going on LTIR, is still a few weeks away. Giroux is again playing center now but the hope, ideally, is to move him back to left wing when they are able to do so. So, it's certainly plausible that the Flyers' hand could be forced a bit to add a center if the team doesn't pick up the pace soon from its 6-5-2 start.

Specific to Frost, even before his three-point weekend against the Pens and Sound Tigers, there was excitement over the adaptations he's been making at the AHL level. His pure offensive upside may be even a bit north of Joel Farabee's but the 19-year-old Farabee is already able to handle the 200-foot responsibilities of an NHL winger while still getting his share of scoring chances whereas the belief is that Frost needs a little more time adapating his all-around game so that he is put in position to succeed when he comes up.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
I love 3 of the 4 of them. Never listened to Leprous, but goddamn do I love myself some Between the Buried and Me. BTBAM is up there with my favorite bands ever.

The latest Leprous album (came out last week) is now firmly into art-rock/post-rock/cut-yourself-like-it's-emo territory.

They started out as the band for death metal singer Ihsahn, then branched out solo.

Their catalogue from Tall Poppy Syndrome all the way to the latest Pitfalls is a 10 year gradual progression from death metal to emo pop lol.

They've got some awesome music sprinkled within.

Not unlike Opeth's transformation from brutal extreme metal to 70s prog rock.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019

Anything prog metal and I'm in.

Loved the last Michael Romeo solo CD.... better than recent SX releases. I feel like I'm in a sci-fi movie when I listen to it at the gym lol.

Reactions: ybnvs

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
If they are worried about Frost's defense, stick him with Lindblom. And put G back with Couturier so he can avoid taking faceoffs till he's good.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecy
JVR-Hayes-Farabee
Lindblom-Frost-Voracek
Raffl-Rubtsov-Pitlick
Stewart

Send Twarynski down to make room for Frost since Stewart cannot be waived for the same absurd reason he was signed in the first place.

Reactions: Tripod and Rebels57

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
The latest Leprous album (came out last week) is now firmly into art-rock/post-rock/cut-yourself-like-it's-emo territory.

They started out as the band for death metal singer Ihsahn, then branched out solo.

Their catalogue from Tall Poppy Syndrome all the way to the latest Pitfalls is a 10 year gradual progression from death metal to emo pop lol.

They've got some awesome music sprinkled within.

Not unlike Opeth's transformation from brutal extreme metal to 70s prog rock.

I do like Opeth's new album I think more than the previous 2 or 3 because it definitely keeps up with being more hard than them, but man, I don't think they will ever top Bleak.

Reactions: flyersnorth

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
The 90's had the grunge movement, but that does not define the entirety of 90's music. From individual singers/songwriters to rap to alternative to hip hop to soft rock to grunge to Ricky Martin (I find him horrible - this was a joke). The 90's was groundbreaking music just like the 70's, though not as politically charged but some highly decorated bands like RATM and the rap industry were much more vocal about the plights and injustices of that time.

I very, very strongly disagree that 90s music was groundbreaking, but I very, very strongly don't care, because I totally agree with your overall thought that it was a tremendous decade for music. I have tried to come up with a top five albums of the decade and I can get to four super easily:

1. Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair
2. Regretfully Yours - Superdrag
3. Indoor Living - Superchunk
4. The Bends - Radiohead

But then trying to pick just one for that last spot is completely impossible. I can get to top four soundtracks, too:

1. The English Patient
2. Clueless
3. A Life Less Ordinary
4. Until the End of the World

I can also get to hands-down worst and shortest live show while completely ****faced:

1. REM

Reactions: ybnvs and Larry44

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
If they are worried about Frost's defense, stick him with Lindblom. And put G back with Couturier so he can avoid taking faceoffs till he's good.

Giroux-Couturier-Konecy
JVR-Hayes-Farabee
Lindblom-Frost-Voracek
Raffl-Rubtsov-Pitlick
Stewart

Send Twarynski down to make room for Frost since Stewart cannot be waived for the same absurd reason he was signed in the first place.

Given how good they've been, i'm firmly against splitting up our best line.

WIP CALLER

Aug 18, 2016

Check out Umphrey's McGee. They're alot like prog metal, the only difference is that they're a jamband so they improvise in a lot of their music. Check these out: and .

Reactions: flyersnorth

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I very, very strongly disagree that 90s music was groundbreaking, but I very, very strongly don't care, because I totally agree with your overall thought that it was a tremendous decade for music. I have tried to come up with a top five albums of the decade and I can get to four super easily:

1. Exile in Guyville - Liz Phair
2. Regretfully Yours - Superdrag
3. Indoor Living - Superchunk
4. The Bends - Radiohead

Exile in Guyville is almost as overrated as the album it's based on (and yes, I own a copy).
And Radiohead is probably the most overhyped group of the last couple decades.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

I can get to top four soundtracks, too:

1. The English Patient

I can also get to hands-down worst and shortest live show while completely ****faced:

1. REM
Mmmm, I saw REM in mid 80's in Toronto, fantastic show. Love The English Patient soundtrack, still listen to it occasionally. Great novel and movie too...

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Exile in Guyville is almost as overrated as the album it's based on (and yes, I own a copy).
And Radiohead is probably the most overhyped group of the last couple decades.

Well, as a counterpoint, I hate you. Here's a fart.

source.gif

Reactions: landsbergfan

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Giroux-Couturier-Konecy
JVR-Hayes-Farabee
Lindblom-Frost-Voracek
Raffl-Rubtsov-Pitlick
Stewart

That Top 9 is orgasmic.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Given how good they've been, i'm firmly against splitting up our best line.

It's odd that last year no one would allow G-Coots-TK to be split to help other lines. Now people are screaming for Oscar-Coots-TK to be split to get G back to wing...

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Check out Umphrey's McGee. They're alot like prog metal, the only difference is that they're a jamband so they improvise in a lot of their music. Check these out: and .

Love these guys. They released a great cover album a few years ago where they'd mash up two songs in one.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Now imagine if by years end, our 4th line was Laughton Patrick Raffl

I'm not expecting him back to be honest. Would rather take this approach and just be stunned if he does come back.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Every decade has great music. I'm continually shocked by just how much mainstream 80's new wave stuff I used to blanch at but now have come around on.

A notable omission I've seen for the 70's in this thread is Big Star.

As for the 90's, there are so many great records: Nevermind, In Utero, MTV Unplugged in New York, Dry, Rid of Me, The Bends, OK Computer, Sebadoh III, Bakesale, Slanted & Enchanted, Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain, In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, Loveless, Bandwagonesque, Songs from Northern Britain, Bee Thousand, Alien Lanes, Goo, Icky Mettle, Vee Vee, Pod, Last Splash, If You're Feeling Sinister, Either/Or, Foolish, Exile in Guyville, Spiderland, Call the Doctor, Dig Me Out, Repeater, In On the Kill Taker, Young Team, Entroducing..., and on and on an on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad