Post-Game Talk: #13: Maple Leafs at FLYERS, Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019, 7:00 pm ET

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
The NHL tried something coming out of the 2005 lockout. I don't begrudge them for the exposure at that point in establishing the shootout. But it has seen its time. It is worn. There were detractors with the 4-on-4 OT and how it tinkered with the mechanics of the sport but it was overwhelmingly positive. Then came the 3-on-3.. Maybe 3-to-5 years ago (big window but I don't have the exact reference), Gary Bettman stated unequivocally that "75% of the mail he receives is pro-shootout." That may be and I am not sure the percentage today but I doubt he would go public with "75% of the fan mail is anti-shootout" if that was the actual case now. There are meetings and proposals on the sport within the hierarchy and as we know the NHLPA has its own interests but the shootout can remain; however the total needs to be reduced with other avenues extended.

Ties...well, it isn't so much about ties as it is about the style of play from teams and coaches on how to play the game to "get that point" or egad "get that road point." Coaches can always manipulate with how to conduct play as the third periods develop. Ties existed but the games were far more interesting in prior decades. Now, highlights are the winning goal in a shootout because much of the play in so many games throughout this League involve a cautious approach and element.

I’ll start with the caveat that I’m a Flyers fan much more than a hockey fan. I don’t watch other games.

That being said, has anyone else noticed other teams being super passive and cautious on the 3 on 3 OT? All the Flyers ones so far have been really lame. Like teams are now playing for the shootout.

Last night’s OT was not fun in the least.

Reactions: WestrnPhlyr

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
His children Dweezil and Weise Zappa were quite like him. :naughty:

UDnKe8g.png

AZ/DZ bruh!

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I’ll start with the caveat that I’m a Flyers fan much more than a hockey fan. I don’t watch other games.

That being said, has anyone else noticed other teams being super passive and cautious on the 3 on 3 OT? All the Flyers ones so far have been really lame. Like teams are now playing for the shootout.

Last night’s OT was not fun in the least.

I dont think they are playing for the shootout...

I do think they are purposely trying to manager "quality" I.E. try and ensure that first and foremost they are set-up well and the only chance they "take" are high % ones.

Hence the amount of times they have peeled off and rest etc.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Flyers can't match teams like Toronto in team speed in the shootout, so they have to play it carefully and avoid giving up the 2 on 1 breakout.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I dont think they are playing for the shootout...

I do think they are purposely trying to manager "quality" I.E. try and ensure that first and foremost they are set-up well and the only chance they "take" are high % ones.

Hence the amount of times they have peeled off and rest etc.

I know exactly what you mean, and you stated it in a positive way. I feel like it is playing not to lose, and I hate that.

Reactions: flyersnorth

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
I just think the 3-on-3 OT takes care of any concerns that used to exist about that stuff. I have a second-grade understanding of math, and that's being generous, but we need to get some separation in these point totals, too. I'm really tired, so I don't think I am making sense, but there is something wrong with the way teams are all bunched together in the standings, despite Little Wee Gary's obvious arousal over the fact that "so many teams are still in the playoff picture late in the season."

I don't know, I just hate shootouts. They reek of Bettman, and Bettman is the worst. I have a powerful dislike for that runt.

Yeah, fake parity caused by 2-1-0 (instead of 3-2-1-0) system. I've been arguing w people here in Europe, ever since KHL adapted this point system, that it is for fake parity and nothing else, and NO, the fact that our local KHL team is 6 points out from play-offs - it doesn't mean they're ''almost there'', in fact, not even close. Ugh. /endofrant

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
The title track, "Shine Like It Does" and "This Time" are great. They were SO good live, especially the drummer - he was mind-blowing, seriously.

INXS on the X tour was actually my first stadium show. I was too young before that to catch any of the others.

My first show was Nine Inch Nails at City Gardens in 1990. Man I miss that hole.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Sure, and despite your very transparent hatred for two of those and complete lack of respect for the third, I will give you a sincere answer: how do we know they still aren't?

EDIT: I mean, that's more of a question than an answer, but **** it.

Have you watched Jake skate lately?
And Ghost isn't the dynamic offensive power he was a couple years ago.
Giroux is 32, he's still has the smarts and moves but straight line speed is slower.

Reactions: renberg

ellja3

May 19, 2014
Ķekava, Latvia
As for shootouts, they flat out suck. Nothing more to add. So fun to stay up till 4am (I know, European problems) to see that absolute buzzkill and snoozefest that the shootout was. I agree that extending OT to 10mins would make 80+% of games end before shootout.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
INXS on the X tour was actually my first stadium show. I was too young before that to catch any of the others.

My first show was Nine Inch Nails at City Gardens in 1990. Man I miss that hole.

Were they awesome in the stadium? I saw them at an arena, maybe 15,000 capacity tops, and they were awesome. U2 I saw in both, and they were infinitely better in the arena (but great in both).

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL
Were they awesome in the stadium? I saw them at an arena, maybe 15,000 capacity tops, and they were awesome. U2 I saw in both, and they were infinitely better in the arena (but great in both).
Best show I ever saw might just be the Kinks in the late 80s at the Tower theatre in Philly. Seeing a band like that in a 3000 seat venue was just awesome. Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman and Howe at the same venue was also amazing

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto

Sorry, not fully awake, should have said arena. It would have been the Spectrum. It was a great show.

Arenas are generally not my jam. I much prefer smaller venues, but some acts you just aren't going to get to see that way.

New Order came to Toronto a little while back and played a 2,000 seat hall. That was phenomenal, even without Hook.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Sorry, not fully awake, should have said arena. It would have been the Spectrum. It was a great show.

Arenas are generally not my jam. I much prefer smaller venues, but some acts you just aren't going to get to see that way.

New Order came to Toronto a little while back and played a 2,000 seat hall. That was phenomenal, even without Hook.

New Order just makes me sad, because they are not Joy Division, and they should be. RIP.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
New Order just makes me sad, because they are not Joy Division, and they should be. RIP.

I just think of them as two different things. I love Joy Division for what they were. New Order has made great music in their own right. They are much more hit and miss after Technique, but I love every album up to and including that. After that it's more individual tracks that I would put on a "Best of" playlist.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I just think of them as two different things. I love Joy Division for what they were. New Order has made great music in their own right. They are much more hit and miss after Technique, but I love every album up to and including that. After that it's more individual tracks that I would put on a "Best of" playlist.

I was introduced to them by "Blue Monday," which I like a lot more today than I did then (I hated it back then). Then eventually I went back around to Joy Division and I couldn't believe they were mostly the same group of people, minus the Grand-Canyon-sized absence of Ian Curtis. They just aren't my jam. The song I actually like the best is probably "Regret," which is a weird thing to say :laugh:

Reactions: pit

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If he was half as tough on the ice (not fighting, but going to the net and and using that big body along the boards instead of floating in space) as he is on the internet, he'd be a perennial Allstar.
Jake is slowing down, and he still doesn't have a consistent wrist shot.
Jagr could play a slow possession game because he could score (he was also huge, more JVR size than Voracek).

Reactions: tymed

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
If he was half as tough on the ice (not fighting, but going to the net and and using that big body along the boards instead of floating in space) as he is on the internet, he'd be a perennial Allstar.
Jake is slowing down, and he still doesn't have a consistent wrist shot.
Jagr could play a slow possession game because he could score (he was also huge, more JVR size than Voracek).

I was looking back through the files to find something to mock you with, and check out what I found :laugh:

dBdhRXD.jpg

That is some try-hard ****ing garbage.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Maybe the point assignment for a regulation win isn't high enough?

I don't like the policy of rewarding a draw. There should be higher incentive to win in 60 minutes.
I like 3 points for regulation/OT win, 2 points for shootout win, 1 loser point for shootout loss. That would change the way teams approach the last 5 minutes of tight games and the OT for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad