13-4-3 In The Last 20 Games. Is it a Fluke?

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
The one thing I would like to see replicated is Muzzin/Voynov/Martinez. Voynov had the best pedigree as a 2nd rounder, but if you can hit on a couple somewhat unexpected guys like Martinez (4th), and Muzzin (signed after he was returned by Pitt.), it goes a long way. I don't know if any of the young guys will be as good as Voynov, but if they can continue to emerge its going to make it real easy to find that last defensive piece to transform this into a contending defense.

Anderson was a 4rd pick and Roy a 7th. They can be a nice middle pair when we are in contention. So yes we hit on some nice late picks. We also have our top prospects 1st and 2nd rounders like Bjornfot, Grans, Faber. And we have Spence, Hults, Clague that we need to evaluate. We are going to establish a new identity on the back end, we need to stop trying to rebuild the old squad. But I do agree we need a D man with a little move offensive flair, hopefully it's Grans.

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
While the Kings have improved I don’t know if it’s sustainable. They’ve been kept alive by timely goaltending and the PP hitting early. Team defense is still squirrelly and the youth will hit speed bumps as the season goes on.

Plus big questions like how long will Lizotte last as 2C?

Can Vilardi work with Carter and AA? Can he keep up with their skating? If he can’t we don’t have anyone to take that 2C spot as it is now.

How do Anderson and Clague do over more than 15 nhl career games?

Does the goalie tandem hold up?

If you have followed the Kings the last 10 years it has pretty much been about timely goal tending. Its has been their identity. There is a reason it seems that King back up goalies are highly desired and bring a good return on trades.. Campbell was on his way to selling insurance until the Kings got ahold of him. There are plenty of other examples as well. Its what the Kings do.

Once the Maatta factor got removed the D has been more consistent.

The fact the PP is actually hitting a bit is gravy.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I think we're starting to see that with Roy, Anderson, possibly Clague, and soon with Bjornfot, Faber, etc. Walker I left out of that group given his age and also the possibility that he may be exposed as the attract piece for Seattle to focus on in the expansion draft.

For now, I see the Kings going with protecting 8 skaters in the expansion draft.

kopitar
grundstrom
iafallo
kempe
doughty
roy
walker
clague

It's taken years to rebuild the defense. I can't see exposing walker or clague at all. Walker is just 3 1/2 months older than Roy. Age shouldn't be a reason to keep one over the other.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
For now, I see the Kings going with protecting 8 skaters in the expansion draft.

kopitar
grundstrom
iafallo
kempe
doughty
roy
walker
clague

It's taken years to rebuild the defense. I can't see exposing walker or clague at all. Walker is just 3 1/2 months older than Roy. Age shouldn't be a reason to keep one over the other.

I'm not really comparing Walker to Roy. Roy logs over 20 mins of ice time, whereas Walker is averaging 16 minutes.

It's about whether or not the Kings want to protect more skaters, like Lias Andersson.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
Sooo I'll admit I've been on a bit of a hiatus, watched some games last year but its been hard to watch the team when they play poorly. I'm pretty bummed about losing Porks, thought he brought some nice skill down the middle. I really would've liked to see us land a depth D man in the offseason like Shattenkirk, Skjei, Petro (pipe dream I know), Schmidt, Brodie or Hamilton. Just to shore the blueline and mentor the youth, as well as ease the load on Doughty. Maata has been a dud so far. I was pissed when we traded Campbell to Toronto, but Cal of late is making it sting less. Props to Ranford, we've churned out some great goalies over the years. Seeing the youth blossom is rewarding though.

Last edited:

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I'm not really comparing Walker to Roy. Roy logs over 20 mins of ice time, whereas Walker is averaging 16 minutes.

It's about whether or not the Kings want to protect more skaters, like Lias Andersson.

I can understand wanting to protect more players, but I just don't see Kempe fitting in long term with the kings. If Lias Andersson works his way into the discussion, then I can see the kings trading kempe or a pick to seattle if they take someone like wagner.

The kings don't have that many quality forwards to protect. Protecting 8 vs 7/3 skaters shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Last edited:

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
I can understand wanting to protect more players, but I just don't see Kempe fitting in long term with the kings. If Lias Andersson works his way into the discussion, then I can see the kings trading kempe or a pick to seattle if they take someone like wagner.

The kings don't have that many quality forwards to protect. Protecting 8 vs 7/3 skaters shouldn't be too much of an issue.
Kempe is much more important to the Kings then Walker. Why are you protecting Iafallo -- he's a UFA. The protection of 8 vs. 7/3 is a big deal. You're overlooking the ability of the Kings to pick up good forwards (that other teams don't want to lose for nothing) before the draft that they will be able to protect after a trade.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I think Frk will be attractive to Seattle, and maybe AA depending on how he looks this year. It depends on the route they want to take, really. Do they want to amass a younger team or try to pull a Vegas?

The one who really doesn't fit age-wise is Iafallo, but I really don't see the team exposing him. He does make the most sense, however.

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
Kempe is much more important to the Kings then Walker. Why are you protecting Iafallo -- he's a UFA. The protection of 8 vs. 7/3 is a big deal. You're overlooking the ability of the Kings to pick up good forwards (that other teams don't want to lose for nothing) before the draft that they will be able to protect after a trade.

Blake has openly said he hopes to get Iafallo signed once the season has started. I don't see the kings adding more forwards via trade like that, not with the overloaded prospect pool.

I just don't see Kempe in the long term plans. Not with Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Kaliyev, Madden, JAD, and Fagemo all due to arrive in the next year or two. That's with Kopitar, Vilardi, Andersson, and Grundstrom already here. Where does Kempe fit in with all those forwards?

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Blake has openly said he hopes to get Iafallo signed once the season has started. I don't see the kings adding more forwards via trade like that, not with the overloaded prospect pool.

I just don't see Kempe in the long term plans. Not with Byfield, Turcotte, Kupari, Kaliyev, Madden, JAD, and Fagemo all due to arrive in the next year or two. That's with Kopitar, Vilardi, Andersson, and Grundstrom already here. Where does Kempe fit in with all those forwards?

Did you know that Adrian Kempe is only one year older than Grundstrom, and two older than Andersson?

He's the oldest of the 'middle guard' of forwards, and one of our best players this year. Someone has to supplant him, you don't just hand out roles to high-pedigree forwards. Look how long it took him to get this far...

If and when several of those guys supplant him, then you worry about it; in the meantime, he's one of our most effective forwards and can play anywhere in the lineup. But if I had to pick between him, Tonka, and Andersson right this moment, it's a a pretty easy call, no?

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
I don't disagree he has been effective this year so far. That is why I was saying long term. I am open to the idea this is a make or break year for a few players like Iafallo, Grundstrom and Clague as well.

If Clague plays poorly the rest of the year, it becomes moot. 7/3 is the way to go.

edit: If Lias Andersson doesn't do well, then Kempe gets protected. Seattle probably won't take Andersson in the ED. I am not against protecting Kempe. I just got jaded with his prior play. But that isn't fully on him since the kings tried to make him be a center which he is not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
It'll be interesting to see. Do you give up a Walker or Clague to protect the Swedish Mafia or do you expose one of Andersson/Grunnstrom? Maybe this will depend on not only how these guys play but how Bjornfot/Durzi/Hults play. Is it easier replacing a #5D or 3rd line player?

Last draft if came down to McNabb or Forbort and we chose poorly.

My opinion is that Kempe stays regardless. He'll slot in as a top 6 forward - he's got speed, plays both special teams, has grit, size, decent shot, and home grown.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
This is the Kempe we've been waiting for. If he goes unprotected, he will immediately be selected by Seattle. Then he becomes their William Karlsson for them. TMc has unlocked him and Kempe is playing with confidence knowing that he can go right at defenders and back them off. That's one of the biggest developments is that defenders are giving him space for fear he'll burn them and when they don't, he has the speed and skill to dangle around them. He's the second forward I protect after Kopitar easily. This will all work itself out with play on the ice, but I think the Kings can still pull some eligibility shenanigans with some of these players, but right now, they're all earning the ice time to make themselves eligible. I guess the question is whether the Kings sign Iafallo before free agency or not. I think the player they most likely end up losing is Lizotte as I don't think he'll on the protected list unless he has a great season. If the Kings somehow remain in playoff contention all season, it's going to be because some of these potentially expansion eligible kids do well. Then there's going to be a really hard choice to make. Winning trumps all, so you're not going to submarine your team's season because of an expansion draft.

Last edited:

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Why are people worried about losing Clague at this point in the season? I hope he crushes it, don't get me wrong, but he barely made the team after years in the system.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Why are people worried about losing Clague at this point in the season? I hope he crushes it, don't get me wrong, but he barely made the team after years in the system.
Dude he is only 22. It he were 26 I would agree but some people bloom a little later than others. Roy is a great example of a later bloomer

Reactions: DoktorJeep

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I'm not even convinced that Seattle would take Clague if we exposed him. There are a lot of good defensemen that are going to be available to draft and I bet Seattle ultimately chooses a forward.

Minnesota will likely be trading or exposing Dumba. If Edmonton doesn't go 4/4 they'll have to expose one of Larsson/Barrie/Bear. Savard might be available in Columbus. Devon Toews in Colorado. Carolina has a whole host of problems exposing Skjei, Gardiner, Bean, or Fleury. One of McDonagh or Foote in Tampa. Dunn or Scandella in St. Louis. Gustafsson in Philadelphia. Anyway, we get the point, lots of quality defensemen will be up for grabs and I'm not sure Seattle passes all of those names up. I bet we lose one of Lizotte or Wagner unless Seattle goes off the board and takes someone like Carter or Quick.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Agree that maybe it's a little early but its the start of a discussion--but to be fair he's had some injuries too. He was ready to debut, then broke his foot. And last year was cut short early. For a guy who had to learn a LOT about defense to make it, I think his timeline has been fine. As far as his role, we needed an LHD to break out and we got one in Anderson and maybe a 2nd in Clague, who is important because we don't have any other imminent offensive/skating dmen that are effective with the puck. It's basically Drew and Clague right now in their own class (and it's not that Roy, Anderson, Walker are 'bad' Drew and Kale are just a higher level at puck movement).

Reactions: KingTech

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Walker makes the most sense to expose or even trade. That 3rd pairing right shot is where Spence and Faber will be breaking in over the season or two, with Grans potentially looking for a spot as well.

If Carter stays at this level throughout the year, he will be an attractive option for Seattle as they could reasonable convert him into an extra pick as an expiring contract at the 2022 deadline.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
Based on what cap friendly is showing, I’d protect the following players in the expansion draft. I know it won’t happen, but these are the guys that I would hate to lose and could see being taken.

Iafallo, Kempe, Lias A, Tonka
Doughty (nmc), Roy, Walker, Clague
Petersen

Reactions: Token

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
It'll be interesting to see how good Seattle will be off the bat. Vegas was instantly dynamic, so I'm kind of expecting Seattle to be as well.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I wonder if we trade Carter at the deadline. He could be really attractive with retention. Wonder if we could get another first round pick? Certainly would depend on whether or not we are looking at a possible playoff spot.

I could see us trading Athanasiou or Iafallo as well.

Also, not that it's that exciting, but nhl.com released their "Top 16" power rankings this week and three of the fourteen contributors had the Kings at 15 or 16. It's not much but it's a lot better than dead last.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad