13-4-3 In The Last 20 Games. Is it a Fluke?

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Kings have only 4 regulation losses in their last 20 games.

I know this streak is spanning back to last season, but it's largely the same team.

Is this a fluke or are the Kings on to something?

Reactions: ru4reals

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007

I know this streak is spanning back to last season, but it's largely the same team.

Pretty much we started winning a bit more when the dead weights were filtered out slowly but surely and some youth were inserted into the lineup. It was painful watching some of these stiffs every night. Excited as hell to see many of these kids come up.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

Little bit of smoke and mirrors, Kings are still getting outplayed more often than they aren't. But they're onto something in that they're going the right direction and can pull wins out with sheer grit and youthful bursts of energy and skill. not quite the 2010 Kings imo but taking those steps!

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
I don’t think they’re a top team yet, but they have totally adapted to Todd’s system and has given the the opportunity to garner some wins.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Its hard to read because of the insane gap between last season and this year. I think its the start of something where they're preparing for the next step, but based on some of the games this year we aren't quite consistent enough. I think if Covid wasn't a thing and we were practicing and playing games throughout 2020 we'd be further along. But you can clearly see we do have something here, something that we didn't have a couple years ago. If by some chance we make the playoffs I think that would be huge for this team.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Nope, they are implementing more and more competitive players in the lineup. They have some damn good defensemen, Kopitar and Doughty have played much better than folks want to credit for some reason.

Reactions: go4hockey

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles
We've adopted a new system and are more of a threat now. Were taking shots in more dangerous places and getting better chances. With better players in this lineup we will be deadly. Were no longer the dump and chase pass it to the point kings of old. Were a totally different team.

Reactions: Nickster

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
I think another question to ask as well is are the Kings still a bottom 5 team in the league? I think the answer to that is a resounding no. So they obviously have improved over the last two seasons while also getting younger. That is the true sign of a team heading in the right direction. Playing better and getting younger each season. And hell to start last season with the worst special teams on the planet, just mediocrity in that regard is an upgrade.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Last year I thought the coaching staff was experimenting with different systems/approaches all through out the season. Towards the end they finally had things dialed in and we started getting contributions from younger players.

I agree with @bland that the defense has a lot to do with this. Adding Roy, Walker and Anderson has given us depth on the backend. Roy in particular has been great.

The goaltending also. Petersen/Quick is a great tandem.

The forward group still feels like a hodgepodge of different types of players, and we desperately need some speed down the middle, but it will eventually get sorted out.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
I still feel it's way too early...we get a couple wins under our belt and everyone is lubing up. Just a week ago, someone was asking if it was possible Mclellan gets fired anytime soon. I mean we are 7 games into the season and one game over .500.....everyone needs to settle down, lol.

Axl Rhoadz

Binky distributor
Apr 5, 2011
Just saw this on the Insider page:

"With tonight’s victory, the Kings improved to 3-2-2 on the season, putting the team above the .500 mark for the first time since the final game of the 2017-18 season."

Enjoy it while it lasts, boys! Yikes...

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
Just saw this on the Insider page:

"With tonight’s victory, the Kings improved to 3-2-2 on the season, putting the team above the .500 mark for the first time since the final game of the 2017-18 season."

Enjoy it while it lasts, boys! Yikes...
I hate to be Negative Nancy, but the Kings have won three games and lost four games so far this season. It's not bad, but it's not exactly a historic moment.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
That winning percentage is a fluke, for sure, but the team is definitely improved. Some cold water for me on that record is that I am more impressed with the record this year without going back to last season. Seven wins in a row is cool whenever you can get it but I don't care as much when you are a bottom feeder picking up wins at the end of the season when nobody cares about playing you. Said it before but it is the Coyotes Syndrome where they suck all year, peel off some wins at the end and it is "Watch out for these guys". I'm still watching out.

This season is more impressive than going back to last year, although the big thing with the win streak last season was adding Anderson to the backend coupled with the continued emergence of Roy. As far as results go this year, it seems to be lost on everyone that all three of the wins are against 2nd or 3rd string goalies. They still aren't ready for prime time but the important thing this season is to be competitive while having the youth take on much more of a role on this team.

Beaten it to death but we are right on schedule. This is the 08-09 season of the rebuild, Doughty's rookie year. Still wound up with a poor record but we saw significant improvement and they actually teased us for a bit to where we thought a playoff spot might be possible. The young core of this team gained confidence and then they came out the next season and crushed it. Now, the Kings don't have anyone in the pipeline that can provide what Doughty did to that 09-10 squad but that team didn't have anything already on the roster as good as what 2021-22 Doughty should be. It isn't apples-to-apples as far as roster makeup goes but I feel the timeline is the same. If they make the playoffs this season--which would probably be due to assistance from the schedule--then they are ahead of the curve and it will be good for the young guys on this team while also hopefully perking up the vets to let them know this thing isn't too far off. It will be a win, however, to simply be competitive, flirt with the playoffs and then add another Top 10 pick or possibly use it as a trade chip.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
While the Kings have improved I don’t know if it’s sustainable. They’ve been kept alive by timely goaltending and the PP hitting early. Team defense is still squirrelly and the youth will hit speed bumps as the season goes on.

Plus big questions like how long will Lizotte last as 2C?

Can Vilardi work with Carter and AA? Can he keep up with their skating? If he can’t we don’t have anyone to take that 2C spot as it is now.

How do Anderson and Clague do over more than 15 nhl career games?

Does the goalie tandem hold up?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
While the Kings have improved I don’t know if it’s sustainable. They’ve been kept alive by timely goaltending and the PP hitting early. Team defense is still squirrelly and the youth will hit speed bumps as the season goes on.

Plus big questions like how long will Lizotte last as 2C?

Can Vilardi work with Carter and AA? Can he keep up with their skating? If he can’t we don’t have anyone to take that 2C spot as it is now.

How do Anderson and Clague do over more than 15 nhl career games?

Does the goalie tandem hold up?
I will counter that (largely) this same group went 8-1-1 to end last season.

Our departures were Hutton Lewis and Porkins.
Frk is hurt

Additions :
Andersson
Clague
Grundstrom now on the big club

Maata

The jury is still out on Maata, but we are a better team on paper. Carter is finally healthy and playing his best hockey in years.
Many of the youth are even better this year. Mikey A and Roy especially.

I think our goaltending his been solid and there is little reason to think that will change

The down side-
Brown looks old. Kopitar is a year older and Doughty is in "low power mode" (kudos to whoever posted that last night, I think it was RJ)

I think Clague is going to follow the Roy and Walker path of development and keep looking better and get more confident through the season

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad