13-4-3 In The Last 20 Games. Is it a Fluke?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
PP and PK improvement will definitely help lead to an improvement and was a big part of the win streak last season while the abysmal numbers the rest of the time were a big part of them being so bad.

Special teams improvement should go hand-in-hand with the improvement of the team and Year 2 of T-Mac's systems.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
i can't check right now but I recall hearing we were actually pretty good overall after the start of the season..not just hot at the end. Just a bad start. But can't confirm that record right now. If that is the case, though, makes right now look even more legitimate.

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Our goaltending has been stellar during that time. Quick and Cal have been lights out over that stretch (like Cal was last night even though we arguably were outplayed chances-wise).

Snyper8

Aug 16, 2005
Hesperia
13-4-3 is a number that elite teams put up but I do not think we are an elite team yet. Goaltending has a lot to do with the record. Our old guys don't suck as bad as most people make it out to be. Still have some roads to cross to get to being an elite team again but we are definitely moving in the right direction.

DoktorJeep

B2B GM of the Summer Champion
Aug 2, 2005
OC
I don’t think last season’s winning streak factors into evaluating this year’s squad. But their are a lot of improvements to point to. Top are the special teams. Right now the Kings have the #8 PK and #12 PP, which surprised me.

Reactions: Axl Rhoadz

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
i can't check right now but I recall hearing we were actually pretty good overall after the start of the season..not just hot at the end. Just a bad start. But can't confirm that record right now. If that is the case, though, makes right now look even more legitimate.
We were streaky AF all of last year

upload_2021-1-27_12-9-11.png

upload_2021-1-27_12-9-51.png

upload_2021-1-27_12-10-20.png

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
It's not team play that's making the Kings win mostly. It's individual efforts of talented players who make something out of nothing. Kings aren't out playing their opponents. And I disagree, the system is still under works since the players are so young and new. I don't know if that's a McLennan problem or if it's just growing pains.

Once the top end talent come in and determine the game, then we will see the Kings outplaying. As many points Kopitar has, he's appeared to have difficulty setting the pace of the game. And Doughty has been OK. at best.

Once Bjornfot, Byfield, Kaliyev, and Kupari hit the lineup we will most likely see the new chapter of the Kings dominating teams. But until then, it's just individual talent. Not much team play. If that makes sense.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Our goaltending has been stellar during that time. Quick and Cal have been lights out over that stretch (like Cal was last night even though we arguably were outplayed chances-wise).

Cal has been fine, Quick has easily been better. While Quick has done a few questionable things, he's able to reset his game. Cal seems like he's rusty for lengthy chunks of certain game. I don't think Quick gets rattled which might be his best intangible ability as a goalie.

Just from my eye test though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghetty Green

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Cal has been fine, Quick has easily been better. While Quick has done a few questionable things, he's able to reset his game. Cal seems like he's rusty for lengthy chunks of certain game. I don't think Quick gets rattled which might be his best intangible ability as a goalie.

Just from my eye test though.

Cal is rapidly improving luckily and he'll be the first to admit it's rust, remember he missed a chunk of training camp so he's admitted to still 'mentally' getting in shape.

Reactions: BringTheReign

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Cal is rapidly improving luckily and he'll be the first to admit it's rust, remember he missed a chunk of training camp so he's admitted to still 'mentally' getting in shape.

That's fine too and makes sense. Just so far I think Quick has looked by far more game ready. Cal looked good last year. So once he's in shape hopefully he takes his game to the next level.

RaymondReddington

Sep 21, 2020
But until then, it's just individual talent. Not much team play. If that makes sense.
I disagree. Kings now are a deeper team with much more competent 3rd & 4th lines and deeper defense. I used to feel like I was napping watching lines 3 & 4, knowing there was no way in hell they were going to score. This year there have been many times those lines have brought me to the edge of my seat and I pay attention when they are on the ice.
And this is only the beginning of something huge for this organization...

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I disagree. Kings now are a deeper team with much more competent 3rd & 4th lines and deeper defense. I used to feel like I was napping watching lines 3 & 4, knowing there was no way in hell they were going to score. This year there have been many times those lines have brought me to the edge of my seat and I pay attention when they are on the ice.
And this is only the beginning of something huge for this organization...

How many games have the Kings dominated this year?

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
How many games have the Kings dominated this year?

Zero but the majority of NHL teams aren't racking up total domination games. It shouldn't even be expected this season. I don't think you are expecting it to happen this year: I'm not accusing you of that.

Baby steps though. This team isn't going from last to first in one season. Just getting to average but on the upswing is good for this season. A positive year of development for pre-2018 draft guys on the NHL roster coupled with the inclusion of some 2018-to-present prospects next year makes for a tasty thought.

Can't stress how amazing it would be for the rebuild for the defense to come together so quickly. DL traded for Johnson, reached for Hickey, traded for Greene, blew it on Teubert, had to go more years and money for Scuderi and Mitchell etc. It all came together in the end but it will be real nice for Blake if he can rely on Doughty/Roy/Anderson/Clague/Bjornfot and not have to keep chasing a D-corp. He either inherited them or drafted them. If Faber continues to progress as well then hot damn.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
"Its's not about a win or a loss, it's about are we winning or losing."
Right now we are headed in the right direction even with a 3-2-2 record hovering about .500 it's big progress for this team. We are going to lose our fair share of games but overall the team is continuing to play better, as they gel and find their timing and chemistry.

Big props to the coaching staff who is not afraid to play the prospects and not bench them when they make mistakes. Confidence in the players is huge. I like the way TMac challenges them, the Lizzotte line for example was challenged and they get the start in the last 2 games to set the tone. If the players respond it means the message was well recieved.

The record might be a fluke but the progress isn't.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Zero but the majority of NHL teams aren't racking up total domination games. It shouldn't even be expected this season. I don't think you are expecting it to happen this year: I'm not accusing you of that.

Baby steps though. This team isn't going from last to first in one season. Just getting to average but on the upswing is good for this season. A positive year of development for pre-2018 draft guys on the NHL roster coupled with the inclusion of some 2018-to-present prospects next year makes for a tasty thought.

Can't stress how amazing it would be for the rebuild for the defense to come together so quickly. DL traded for Johnson, reached for Hickey, traded for Greene, blew it on Teubert, had to go more years and money for Scuderi and Mitchell etc. It all came together in the end but it will be real nice for Blake if he can rely on Doughty/Roy/Anderson/Clague/Bjornfot and not have to keep chasing a D-corp. He either inherited them or drafted them. If Faber continues to progress as well then hot damn.

Yeah, it's pretty wild going from thinking defense is a weakness to defense(ive personnel, at least) is kind of a strength with more help on the way. The serious emergence of Anderson and Clague went from indefinite timelines and questionmarks to looking good in #2 and #4 roles (limited sample size and the season is a marathon, but still). And that's pre-Bjornfot (and RIP Maatta)!

"not chasing a D-corp" is a nice way to put it. Still not sure where our eventual Doughty replacement will come from (Roy could hold the fort for a few years, it's looking like!), but it's nice not having to move assets in the next year or two to manipulate it, or feel like you "have" to swing for a D-man in next years draft.

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
Yeah, it's pretty wild going from thinking defense is a weakness to defense(ive personnel, at least) is kind of a strength with more help on the way. The serious emergence of Anderson and Clague went from indefinite timelines and questionmarks to looking good in #2 and #4 roles (limited sample size and the season is a marathon, but still). And that's pre-Bjornfot (and RIP Maatta)!

"not chasing a D-corp" is a nice way to put it. Still not sure where our eventual Doughty replacement will come from (Roy could hold the fort for a few years, it's looking like!), but it's nice not having to move assets in the next year or two to manipulate it, or feel like you "have" to swing for a D-man in next years draft.

I understand the paradigm is to label the #1 and #2 defenders on the top pair, #3 and #4 on the middle pair etc, but I honestly believe Doughty is back to being a #1 and Roy is a legit #2. I think the '14 Kings were lucky because Muzzin was trending to be a #2 while Voynov was already a #2 from the '12 Cup and anchor of the 2nd pair.

Anderson and Clague are #3/4 defenders at this point in time (like AMart in his prime), but hopefully they can improve with experience - maybe Anderson can top out as a #2, who knows. Walker is a legit #5. McD and Maatta are #7 defenders right now.

I think the Kings success (ie making the playoffs this year) will hinge on Anderson/Clague maintaining and growing their games to solidify their current status of 3/4 defenders and McD/Maatta or rookie stepping into the #6 role competently.

BigKing

Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com

You just want to have a good team that can contend while you are still paying 11 and 8. If this small sample size holds up for Roy/Anderson/Clague then that will go a long way towards helping that happen.

So much can happen in four years so I'm not worried about a Doughty replacement. Hell, they never replaced Voynov/Mitchell/Greene/Regher etc. Just go back to 2018 when they last made the playoffs and we've got Doughty/Muzzin/Martinez and then Forbort in his best season. Then I'm rolling at you a list with Folin/Phantomberg/Phaneuf/Gravel/Ladue/MacDermid. I'm not saying the current group is better at present but I like Roy's game more than Forbort's and I like Walker's game more than any of those 5/6 guys. Hell, I think I like Anderson's game more than any of the 5/6 guys that played that season.

If Anderson and Roy can be legit 3/4 types, that is really fun.

*edit* While all positions have guys that become very good NHL players that were drafted late, I do look at Anderson and Roy and then think about how guys like Pronman knock prospects--especially on defense--due to not seeing the offensive upside. Like, I'll take a Willie Mitchell caliber defenseman on my team any day. Even readings on Faber at the draft like "nothing except skating jumps out as special" or whatnot but then he is playing huge minutes in the WJC because he does everything well.

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
The one thing I would like to see replicated is Muzzin/Voynov/Martinez. Voynov had the best pedigree as a 2nd rounder, but if you can hit on a couple somewhat unexpected guys like Martinez (4th), and Muzzin (signed after he was returned by Pitt.), it goes a long way. I don't know if any of the young guys will be as good as Voynov, but if they can continue to emerge its going to make it real easy to find that last defensive piece to transform this into a contending defense.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
The one thing I would like to see replicated is Muzzin/Voynov/Martinez. Voynov had the best pedigree as a 2nd rounder, but if you can hit on a couple somewhat unexpected guys like Martinez (4th), and Muzzin (signed after he was returned by Pitt.), it goes a long way. I don't know if any of the young guys will be as good as Voynov, but if they can continue to emerge its going to make it real easy to find that last defensive piece to transform this into a contending defense.

I think we're starting to see that with Roy, Anderson, possibly Clague, and soon with Bjornfot, Faber, etc. Walker I left out of that group given his age and also the possibility that he may be exposed as the attract piece for Seattle to focus on in the expansion draft.

BallPointHammer

Los Angeles Kings - We're Back!
Oct 25, 2006
Maryland
I think another question to ask as well is are the Kings still a bottom 5 team in the league? I think the answer to that is a resounding no. So they obviously have improved over the last two seasons while also getting younger. That is the true sign of a team heading in the right direction. Playing better and getting younger each season. And hell to start last season with the worst special teams on the planet, just mediocrity in that regard is an upgrade.
That's what Lombardi preached too, get younger as you get better. Blake and McLellan are doing a good job.

Reactions: cyclones22

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad