13-4-3 In The Last 20 Games. Is it a Fluke?

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
I watched their game last night and was extremely impressed with their hustle and hockey IQ.

Kinda feels like they have a sleeping giant stewing in LA, similar to the Blackhawks in 08-09 or Pens in 06-07. Their goalie tandem is stellar and they have a great mix of youth and vets. They are still a couple years away from being contenders, but the future is arriving and it looks promising.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Some impressive numbers for LA:

Goals scored per game: 3.06, tied with Boston for 12th in the league
Goals against per game: 2.67, tied with Winnipeg for 10th in the league
Power play percentage: 24.6%, 11th in the league
Penalty kill percentage: 84.5%, 7th in the league

Those are extremely encouraging numbers.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Pretty sure a huge part of their suckage was abysmal special teams. Now they average out as a Top 10 squad for special teams and now you see more wins.

This pace is not indicative of where they are truly at but it does reflect how scoring one goal more on the PP and allowing one fewer goal against on your PK can lead to points.

The fun part during this streak has been how the forechecking pressure has looked coupled with good break out passes. f***ing fundamentals first and then we can start to see bigger things.

This weekend will be interesting since they are getting a decent team at full strength.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Pretty sure a huge part of their suckage was abysmal special teams. Now they average out as a Top 10 squad for special teams and now you see more wins.

This pace is not indicative of where they are truly at but it does reflect how scoring one goal more on the PP and allowing one fewer goal against on your PK can lead to points.

The fun part during this streak has been how the forechecking pressure has looked coupled with good break out passes. f***ing fundamentals first and then we can start to see bigger things.

This weekend will be interesting since they are getting a decent team at full strength.
Jinx Anti-Jinx...
Okay, the Kings have never trailed on this win streak. There I said it.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
That 2018 team smoke and mirrored its way to that Jennings. Quick was great and that was full power Doughty and the forwards also play D. Kopi won the Selke. That team had Forbort and Folin having careers years (not saying much) and traded for the corpse of Phaneuf. Obviously this current D corps is developing, but I like this composition and individuals way more than the 2018 defensemen group. My opinion obviously, but these guys could be good. I'm impressed with what I'm seeing so far.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
That 2018 team smoke and mirrored its way to that Jennings. Quick was great and that was full power Doughty and the forwards also play D. Kopi won the Selke. That team had Forbort and Folin having careers years (not saying much) and traded for the corpse of Phaneuf. Obviously this current D corps is developing, but I like this composition and individuals way more than the 2018 defensemen group. My opinion obviously, but these guys could be good. I'm impressed with what I'm seeing so far.
At an individual level -- yes. Collectively, this group really lacks size.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
If you have a Bowman index of 18 you have a very good chance to make the playoffs, even if you do have some roster issues, such as down the middle like John mentioned. The Kings are doing great on special teams and getting contributions throughout the lineup. Really frustrating to think where this team could be if they hadn't bungled the 2015 draft and not drastically overachieved in 2018. Imagine having say Barzal and Hughes and only subtracting Vilardi.

I still worry that Lucy may pull the football away here, but if the Kings go into the Twin Cities this weekend and get 3 or 4 points I think you have to consider trying to add some re-enforcements.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
If you have a Bowman index of 18 you have a very good chance to make the playoffs, even if you do have some roster issues, such as down the middle like John mentioned. The Kings are doing great on special teams and getting contributions throughout the lineup. Really frustrating to think where this team could be if they hadn't bungled the 2015 draft and not drastically overachieved in 2018. Imagine having say Barzal and Hughes and only subtracting Vilardi.

I still worry that Lucy may pull the football away here, but if the Kings go into the Twin Cities this weekend and get 3 or 4 points I think you have to consider trying to add some re-enforcements.

I for one wouldn't change a thing. The Kings just flat out got lucky that the wheels all fell off at once and Blake had his opportunity. GM's hate rebuilds for a good reason -- they almost never work.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

apocalypse

Dean Lombardi's Yes Man
Mar 20, 2017
Los Angeles

I could see adding a big third line grinder that can't be pushed around. Someone to take lizzotes spot with that speed of Wagner and AA.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I could see adding a big third line grinder that can't be pushed around. Someone to take lizzotes spot with that speed of Wagner and AA.

I think Lizotte is pretty overrated on this board, but he is still someone I think you want in the lineup. Or is he going the other way in a trade?

Moore-JAD-Grundstrom should be a line they want to keep together.

Reactions: LAKings88

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Waiting for:

Iaffalo Kopi Brown
Kempe Vilardi Frk
AA22 Lizotte Carter
Grundstrom JAD Moore
Wagner/Andersson

Anderson Doughty
Bjornfot Roy
Maata Walker
Clague

DAkings20

Kings can't score
Dec 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
200.gif

Reactions: Lt Dan

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
I think Lizotte is pretty overrated on this board, but he is still someone I think you want in the lineup. Or is he going the other way in a trade?

Moore-JAD-Grundstrom should be a line they want to keep together.

I've said it forever, but Lizotte is a pretty good fourth line center. That's it. That's all he'll be for a contending team. He's not Theo Fleury. He's barely even Nathan Gerbe. And I'm a big fan of his! We're miscasting him as a second or third line center and that's not his fault, it just is what it is. Vilardi took his spot, JAD took his spot, and we have two more centers potentially better than both of those two.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
This team is just starting to come together and see what they are capable of doing. That is still a long way from having and handling expectations. Its the next logical step, but that takes a hell of a lot more time than one hot month. Adding a major player changes those expectations, and it upsets the pattern.

The real truthes come when the high end skill forwards cut their teeth, that's when you know what you have and what you need. Under Lombardi it took two first round exits to know for certain that his core lacked a killer instinct. He had the assets available not to just bring in a good player, but to arguably overspend on EXACTLY what was missing. You don't want to limit those future options now by overspending on what you just may already have.

I plan on patiently enjoying the hell out of these stages. I have been arguing, bitching and begging for this since 2015, and am very excited to see it happening and already showing some promise.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
This team is just starting to come together and see what they are capable of doing. That is still a long way from having and handling expectations. Its the next logical step, but that takes a hell of a lot more time than one hot month. Adding a major player changes those expectations, and it upsets the pattern.

The real truthes come when the high end skill forwards cut their teeth, that's when you know what you have and what you need. Under Lombardi it took two first round exits to know for certain that his core lacked a killer instinct. He had the assets available not to just bring in a good player, but to arguably overspend on EXACTLY what was missing. You don't want to limit those future options now by overspending on what you just may already have.

I plan on patiently enjoying the hell out of these stages. I have been arguing, bitching and begging for this since 2015, and am very excited to see it happening and already showing some promise.

Just to nitpick a bit... (I agree with the general idea)

I'm not entirely sure Lombardi would have made a move like the Richards trade had Philadelphia not suddenly made Richards and Carter available. Yes he still had to take the swing and make the deal but Philly made two All-Stars on cap circumvention deals available on the same day out of the clear blue sky.

I think we forget what an unbelievable opportunity it was to acquire ONE of them much less to have it work out that they got BOTH of them. Good for Lombardi for recognizing the opportunity and pouncing on it but I don't feel comfortable giving him credit for some masterful stroke of strategic insight that led to him going out and forcing the acquisition of Mike Richards.

If Philly hadn't been so poorly mismanaged who knows what the summer of 2011 and the 2011-12 season would have looked like.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Just to nitpick a bit... (I agree with the general idea)

I'm not entirely sure Lombardi would have made a move like the Richards trade had Philadelphia not suddenly made Richards and Carter available. Yes he still had to take the swing and make the deal but Philly made two All-Stars on cap circumvention deals available on the same day out of the clear blue sky.

I think we forget what an unbelievable opportunity it was to acquire ONE of them much less to have it work out that they got BOTH of them. Good for Lombardi for recognizing the opportunity and pouncing on it but I don't feel comfortable giving him credit for some masterful stroke of strategic insight that led to him going out and forcing the acquisition of Mike Richards.

If Philly hadn't been so poorly mismanaged who knows what the summer of 2011 and the 2011-12 season would have looked like.

Well, sure. Luck is a factor of success. Lombardi was lucky they were available.

But they also fit major organizational needs, which is the major difference with Eichel.

Yes, yes, Eichel is supremely skilled, and of course the Kings need skill, but depth at center is where they are very strong.

The Kings did well to strike while the iron was hot, but they shouldn't make a trade just because a player is available. Which is the push-back the "don't trade for Eichel" crowd is giving.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Well, sure. Luck is a factor of success. Lombardi was lucky they were available.

But they also fit major organizational needs, which is the major difference with Eichel.

Yes, yes, Eichel is supremely skilled, and of course the Kings need skill, but depth at center is where they are very strong.

The Kings did well to strike while the iron was hot, but they shouldn't make a trade just because a player is available. Which is the push-back the "don't trade for Eichel" crowd is giving.
^this

We will need an elite player down the road, but C is our strongest organizational strength.
When we do make a trade for someone like this, it should be a w, like a Gaborik or someone like Carter who is as comfortable on the wing as he is at C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad