13-4-3 In The Last 20 Games. Is it a Fluke?

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Just to nitpick a bit... (I agree with the general idea)

I'm not entirely sure Lombardi would have made a move like the Richards trade had Philadelphia not suddenly made Richards and Carter available. Yes he still had to take the swing and make the deal but Philly made two All-Stars on cap circumvention deals available on the same day out of the clear blue sky.

I think we forget what an unbelievable opportunity it was to acquire ONE of them much less to have it work out that they got BOTH of them. Good for Lombardi for recognizing the opportunity and pouncing on it but I don't feel comfortable giving him credit for some masterful stroke of strategic insight that led to him going out and forcing the acquisition of Mike Richards.

If Philly hadn't been so poorly mismanaged who knows what the summer of 2011 and the 2011-12 season would have looked like.

But he had the balls to trade the top rates prospect in the world, a budding fan-favorite winger and a 1st round pick the moment he became available.

The strategic smarts was to stockpile assets and to keep his powder relatively dry so he could pounce on something unexpected.

This is the whole argument regarding Eichel right now:

-How often does an Eichel become available?
-What is the current market i.e., who has the assets and cap space?
-Can the Kings get him at a reasonable price due to the above circumstance?

While the rebuild didn't officially start until the Muzzin trade, Blake basically kept every pick in the first two drafts prior to that. Those two drafts already produced two key regulars in Vilardi and Anderson with JAD looking to establish himself full time. Kupari for 2018 falls into the unknown category at the NHL level but he looks like an NHL forward. Lombardi's parting gift is a huge piece of the future in Matt Roy.

Point is that there were already good players being stockpiled prior to the first "rebuild" draft of 2019 which, at this point, appears to have already produced an NHL regular in Bjornfot. I'm not a "get Eichel at all costs" guy whatsoever but I am definitely a believer that a deal that involves either Byfield or Turcotte is not immediately too rich for my blood. I do not care too much about this year's 1st rounder depending on what it used for. I am definitely listening if it can happen for one of Byfield/Turcotte, this year's 1st and a roster player that doesn't kill me. Roy would be a no go. Bjornfot as well. Someone can look at that deal and say "it won't be enough" and that's fine. Point is that Blake should be looking into it and seeing if he--first off--wants the player and--secondly--can he get him at a price that isn't a lateral or counter productive move.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I like how some of the guys in are bottom 6 actually have some upside while simultaneously doing a good job in what would be traditionally considered "grinder" roles. I'm talking about guys like Wagner, Grundstrom and Moore.

I notice these players doing something good every game.

Moore looks like a sneaky good pickup by Blake. Looking at his resume, he was a good scorer in the NCAA, became a point-per-game player in the AHL, and since coming to the Kings he's been scoring at a 30 point pace while playing on the bottom line. That's pretty good.

All The Kings Men

Apr 7, 2016
Well, sure. Luck is a factor of success. Lombardi was lucky they were available.

But they also fit major organizational needs, which is the major difference with Eichel.

Yes, yes, Eichel is supremely skilled, and of course the Kings need skill, but depth at center is where they are very strong.

The Kings did well to strike while the iron was hot, but they shouldn't make a trade just because a player is available. Which is the push-back the "don't trade for Eichel" crowd is giving.

I'm not making any statement on Eichel. My point was simply to say pump the brakes on Lombardi watching two years of first round exits (one without Kopitar) and saying "AHA THIS TEAM NEEDS MIKE RICHARDS! I SHALL MAKE IT SO!"

rather...

Mike Richards was made available and Dean Lombardi possibly said "Aha! This team could use a Mike Richards! I shall make it so!"

It's a subtle but important distinction in my mind.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
Its fun to dump on those Sharks teams when McLellan was there all those years, but I can't deny their team could be fun to watch, especially on the powerplay. Its nice to see the special teams translate to this team

I think Mac did what he could and he had quite a good result. Had us on the ropes... I think the failure of SJ to win anything was due more to Doug Wilson's composition of the team than Mac's. You swap a player like Marleau out of there and replace him with Mike Richards and they make it over the hill I bet, but that's on the GM, not the coach.

Rorschach

Who the f*** is Trevor Moore?
Oct 9, 2006
Los Angeles
I like how some of the guys in are bottom 6 actually have some upside while simultaneously doing a good job in what would be traditionally considered "grinder" roles. I'm talking about guys like Wagner, Grundstrom and Moore.

I notice these players doing something good every game.

Moore looks like a sneaky good pickup by Blake. Looking at his resume, he was a good scorer in the NCAA, became a point-per-game player in the AHL, and since coming to the Kings he's been scoring at a 30 point pace while playing on the bottom line. That's pretty good.

These guys, as long as we keep them signed to appropriate amounts, put them into playoff situations, they have the potential to make highlight films. Matteau, May, Shuchuk, Martinez (Clifford), McCarty, Belanger, Henrique, Ward, Bonino, etc.

kingsholygrail

Bonus Hockey Unlocked 44-27-11
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
I'm not making any statement on Eichel. My point was simply to say pump the brakes on Lombardi watching two years of first round exits (one without Kopitar) and saying "AHA THIS TEAM NEEDS MIKE RICHARDS! I SHALL MAKE IT SO!"

rather...

Mike Richards was made available and Dean Lombardi possibly said "Aha! This team could use a Mike Richards! I shall make it so!"

It's a subtle but important distinction in my mind.
Especially since we went after Brad Richards and Kovalchuk first.

Reactions: ibleedkings

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad