13-14 Prospects Thread Version XIX: Leafs in the WJC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I thought Brown and Finn both looked pretty good in the Subway series game, though I only caught the second half of the game. Don't let the score fool you, the OHL played a great game, but the Russian goalie was fantastic with 41 saves. Neither Finn nor Brown really stood out to me, but they had solid games. Wish I could say more than that, but they just weren't great, and weren't bad either.

This Vladimir Tkachyov guy however was impressive for a third straight game. The guy is tiny, but it doesn't seem to matter because he's so slick nobody can touch him. Skill with the puck is just unreal.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
I thought Brown and Finn both looked pretty good in the Subway series game, though I only caught the second half of the game. Don't let the score fool you, the OHL played a great game, but the Russian goalie was fantastic with 41 saves. Neither Finn nor Brown really stood out to me, but they had solid games. Wish I could say more than that, but they just weren't great, and weren't bad either.

This Vladimir Tkachyov guy however was impressive for a third straight game. The guy is tiny, but it doesn't seem to matter because he's so slick nobody can touch him. Skill with the puck is just unreal.

I wonder when teams will start to actually take chances on smaller players, or highly skilled Russians. I wonder if Tolchinsky's success this year gets a few GM's to be a little more willing to draft a guy like Tkachyov

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
I wonder when teams will start to actually take chances on smaller players, or highly skilled Russians. I wonder if Tolchinsky's success this year gets a few GM's to be a little more willing to draft a guy like Tkachyov

His CHL rights are held by the Moncton Wildcats, and they're hoping that Barbashev's success with the team might lure him over next season.

Here's his crazy goal on Fucale for anyone who missed it:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
That was the QMJHL, it was Morrain (Sorry about spelling?)

Morin. Philly's first round pick this past draft.

Like others have said, from the big parts I watched, Finn and Brown didn't look bad nor were they great. They didn't stand out, but to be fair, not many OHL players stood out last night.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
^^ Don't underrate Leivo's abilities. His hands are just as good as Lupul's. He has some slick mitts which I learned after I watched him a lot in Kitchener.

He just doesn't have Lupul's wheels, or even close.

If we're going to compare Leivo to an impact NHLer, the guy who I think he resembles most style-wise is actually Dany Heatley. And no, not just because of the missing tooth.

Now he's not going to come anywhere near the kind of production Heatley used to put up, but IMO the resemblance style-wise is pretty striking.

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Brody has a pretty good sense of humour, I'm sure he's poking fun at the people calling Frederik a bust.

Oh I actually don't mind the attempt at humor. I understand what he was trying to do in a humorous way and it did make me laugh. I totally appreciate the attempt and have no issue with. It was actually decently clever. It's just that bustier is an actual word haha, meaning a completely different thing that totally changes what I assume were brody's intentions haha.

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
Oh I actually don't mind the attempt at humor. I understand what he was trying to do in a humorous way and it did make me laugh. I totally appreciate the attempt and have no issue with. It was actually decently clever. It's just that bustier is an actual word haha, meaning a completely different thing that totally changes what I assume were brody's intentions haha.

Oh, I see :laugh:

And with that, I just got a freaky mental image of Frederik in a bustier... :cry:

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Of course they will.

But in which round? C.Brown was slender and undersized for the NHL, or else if he was 6ft 205 lbs. he would have gone in the first. Burke loaded up on size and grit. Biggs,Ross,Devane,Broll etc. For all those picks, only Broll looks set, as a potential
4th liner. Epic failure! How could a 2nd/3rd round flier on a skilled Russian hurt?

Renegade

Jun 23, 2013
Pickering, ON
Gauthier isn't an offensive force. He's more defensive than anything else, which is why you don't compare his production. Calling him a bust is why I hate other Leaf fans.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
But in which round? C.Brown was slender and undersized for the NHL, or else if he was 6ft 205 lbs. he would have gone in the first. Burke loaded up on size and grit. Biggs,Ross,Devane,Broll etc. For all those picks, only Broll looks set, as a potential
4th liner. Epic failure! How could a 2nd/3rd round flier on a skilled Russian hurt?

Would like to see us go for skill at this years draft. Cupboard seems pretty stocked with bottom six players who can add some size and character to the team, but there maybe some players in our range with a high skill level (Ho-Sang, Ehlers, Fabbri)

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

I have an idea one GM would take a chance:

86 Nikita Kucherov R 15 13 11 24 8 3 1993-06-17 20 Maikop, Russia 5.11 174
90 Vladislav Namestnikov C 15 8 13 21 0 3 1992-11-22 20 Voskresensk, Russia 6.00 170

24 and 21 points in 15 games for Kucherov and Namestnikov respectively.

20 and 21 years old (today).

Skill isn't a bad approach to take.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I have an idea one GM would take a chance:

86 Nikita Kucherov R 15 13 11 24 8 3 1993-06-17 20 Maikop, Russia 5.11 174
90 Vladislav Namestnikov C 15 8 13 21 0 3 1992-11-22 20 Voskresensk, Russia 6.00 170

24 and 21 points in 15 games for Kucherov and Namestnikov respectively.

20 and 21 years old (today).

Skill isn't a bad approach to take.

Wow. Impressive AHL numbers, even if it is early in the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad