1290 Radio, Part VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
I saw the segment on TV. It was James Duthie reading the book to a classroom of Grade 3-4 age students. The whole thing was indeed hokey, reminiscent of a sentimental Tim Hortons commercial, or anything Ron MacLean might be involved in. Lame.

Ron MacLean has become the silly old uncle everyone ignores, even his kitsch is kitsch!

It was the 91’ playoffs in Vancouver and Paul Devorski was refereeing, he had just had an apple for lunch, well Paul had gone shopping that morning and had forgotten his umbrella, Howie Meeker was working for HNIC at that time and was a huge salmon fisherman and Harry Neale says to me that Dave Keon who I coached when I was with the New England Whalers never liked apples.....

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Every time the Astros cheat scandal comes up on the BS, Toth says exactly the same thing...

"You know what I find so fascinating about this is the whole fact that everybody does it." He seems to think it's some profound angle that nobody else sees...he works hard to squeeze the comment in even when it's not really what they are focusing on.

Duke749

Savannah Ghost Pirates
Apr 6, 2010
Canton, Georgia
Ron MacLean has become the silly old uncle everyone ignores, even his kitsch is kitsch!

It was the 91’ playoffs in Vancouver and Paul Devorski was refereeing, he had just had an apple for lunch, well Paul had gone shopping that morning and had forgotten his umbrella, Howie Meeker was working for HNIC at that time and was a huge salmon fisherman and Harry Neale says to me that Dave Keon who I coached when I was with the New England Whalers never liked apples.....

:biglaugh: Well done sip, well done.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

I read that whole thing in his voice. If you told me you're Ron McLean I'd believe it

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Every time the Astros cheat scandal comes up on the BS, Toth says exactly the same thing...

"You know what I find so fascinating about this is the whole fact that everybody does it." He seems to think it's some profound angle that nobody else sees...he works hard to squeeze the comment in even when it's not really what they are focusing on.
The littlest things fascinate him. I remember when the whole offersheet & arbitration discussions was happening last year, guy was astounded when he found out that you needed your own picks for offersheets, and you could only use nhl.com stats for arb cases.

Jim this morning was saying the cap didn't go up at all. this guy does not have a clue

Last edited:

buyinnow

Mar 7, 2010
Drew is good on the ic show. but he's better when he's just a guest and talks freely without having to handle Ez

Reactions: Steve1964

Steve1964

Nov 21, 2019
Out of the gate..

Question : (Rewucki) : "If you lose to a great team in the first round is that a failure?"

Answer : (Toth) "Paul Maurice is a great coach. And everyone that is mean to me on Twitter turns out to be wrong. I am always right."

Reactions: thegr8one66

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018

This....is absolutely tremendous!

bennylundholm

Sep 7, 2014
Sometimes I feel a bit sorry for Munz. He’s like the extra guy in the band tentatively shaking a tambourine off to the side of the stage.
Munz, Edmunds, Kevin O. never say a negative word about the players or coaches.
Their credibility is lost when their analysis is not realistic.
I'd love to have a former player who tells it like it is, good or bad.
Also, anyone other than Kevin "listen to me talk" O.
I do like Kidd.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'd love to have a former player who tells it like it is, good or bad.
Also, anyone other than Kevin "listen to me talk" O.
I do like Kidd.
Kevin i laugh at everything because i have gas O is absolutely terrible to listen to . Just once i'd like one of his guests to ask WTF is so funny ?

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB

Lmao.

Full disclosure that I’m not a baseball fan whatsoever, but that’s easily the dumbest, most out to lunch take I’ve heard on that whole scandal.

Yes, every team has attempted to steal signs since the beginning of baseball, and there’s nothing in the rules against it. However, there are specific rules against the use of technology to steal signs, which the Astros repeatedly ignored. More to the point, it was blatant, grade school level cheating. The garbage can banging, the whistling; the MLB look like absolute idiots for failing to catch this sooner.

I can only think of the football analogy. Yes, every team attempts to steal signals and guess the play being run. This cheating by the Astros would be the equivalent of planting a mic in the offensive huddle.

Reactions: Jets 31

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yesterday Toth and crew going on and on about how the Bolts were likely to trade Johnson. None of them seem to have a clue that he has a full no-trade clause on his contract through next season (2020/21). More evidence that listening to that crew can actually increase ignorance. I still have no clue why they do no preparation or try to actually know at least as much as a reasonably well-informed fan.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG

Munz and Edmonds travel with the team for every road game. They stay at the same hotel as the team.

I am going to suggest from simple human nature you can't really expect them to be ripping on players one night then spend that kind of time with them the next day.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Munz and Edmonds travel with the team for every road game. They stay at the same hotel as the team.

I am going to suggest from simple human nature you can't really expect them to be ripping on players one night then spend that kind of time with them the next day.
Agreed and to expect different is pretty naive. They do play by play and are promoting the product as expected by their employer the local TV and radio broadcaster. Tearing into the team, coach, management or ownership would have them on the unemployment line.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
Northern MB

That’s true. It is frustrating that they’re our only real option for coverage, though.

Most markets have one affiliate network or newspaper that carries water for the home team, and another that speaks more freely. Doesn’t really feel like we have that in Winnipeg.

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
That’s true. It is frustrating that they’re our only real option for coverage, though.

Most markets have one affiliate network or newspaper that carries water for the home team, and another that speaks more freely. Doesn’t really feel like we have that in Winnipeg.

Friesen does that but than he gets ripped by everyone for being so negative

Reactions: Ggg99 and Steve1964

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Friesen does that but than he gets ripped by everyone for being so negative

Friesen earns that reputation on his own, sometimes it seems he's going out of his way to find something negative to write about.

Steve1964

Nov 21, 2019
Friesen earns that reputation on his own, sometimes it seems he's going out of his way to find something negative to write about.
Perhaps because 99% of the media are brown nosers?? I like that Friesen has the balls to say what he does.

Reactions: Ggg99

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't need negative or positive topics from 1290. I would like premises for discussion to have a logical starting point. Not " I READ ALL THE ADVANCED STATS EVERY SINGLE DAY BUT IGNORE THEM AND FEEL OTHERWISE. MY OPINION HAS MORE WEIGHT THAN THE EVIDENCE BECAUSE I COVERED THE MOOSE FOR A COUPLE SECONDS AND I KNOW HOW IT IS".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad