TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The relationship between the TV rights holders and the league/teams is far too cozy.
It's not like the sports press is protecting liberal democracy. They are reporting on a pro sports team. Everyone can watch exactly what the team does on a daily basis, and form their own opinions. I couldn't care less about the inexpert opinions of a few sports journalists. If I want to hear / read a range of opinions, I can talk to other knowledgeable fans or read this discussion board. I don't need to read "edgy" commentary from columnists like Wiecek for the sake of stirring controversy. They are no more useful than fluff pieces with no information that are pumping the tires of the organization.

What I do value from the sports' media is getting insights from players, coaches and management through effective interviews, because fans don't have that access. From the subset of sports media that actually do the work to uncover and understand information about systems and statistics, I like learning from their writing (e.g. Murat Ates). If you want to hear more interesting comments from the GM and coaches, ask more insightful questions, like Ates has done at various points.

Reactions: oldcoot

folix

Jul 24, 2011
If I owed or ran a multi billion dollar organization is today's politically correct / everyone on social medias opinion is important world you better believe I would sanitize everything around my organization with a heavy hand where possible. I do not blame TNSE/NHL a bit for controlling every message they can that comes out to the public....way too much money on the line to let the company message write itself.

Except that it's an entertainment industry, and the avg age of the person who watches hockey on TV is 49. Let that sink in.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
i hate the music they play behind the 6 pak.

oh, i hate the 6 pak too. Holy f*** Toth with that stupid "ka-kawww" shit! What a moron!

Last edited:
Reactions: KB1971 and Gm0ney

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I'd be OK with them having the Illegal Curve guys take over the morning show, and possible even making them the program directors for the entire station. It's about the only consistently entertaining and knowledgeable show on the station.

While they are at it, please drop that annoying buffoon Jim Rome in the evenings. There HAS to be a better syndicated show they can buy out there.

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I think the IC show is amateur hour frankly. I don't know what they really bring to the table...

totally agree about Rome though. That guy is utterly abysmal...

I dunno, they seem to understand the game much better than those clowns in the morning. The station doesn't have much to pick from so perhaps some younger input would be an improvement.

I actually miss Matt Liebl, just leaps and bounds better than Toth was.

Reactions: KB1971

basplit

Jan 12, 2014
I think the IC show is amateur hour frankly. I don't know what they really bring to the table...

totally agree about Rome though. That guy is utterly abysmal...

TOTALLY agree---The IC guys in waaay over their head.
My buddy's at BP know more than them.

Terrible...

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I dunno, they seem to understand the game much better than those clowns in the morning. The station doesn't have much to pick from so perhaps some younger input would be an improvement.

I actually miss Matt Liebl, just leaps and bounds better than Toth was.

There are people on 1290 that are good radio hosts but not good analysts of the game. There are also good analysts of the game who are not good radio hosts on 1290.

They don't have anyone who is both.

Reactions: Brominator

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Toth is a moron. You know your points are weak when Westwood of all people can call you out.

Keep Brandon and chuck the rest. TBH, would not be surprised to see Ace Burpee head over to TSN. Big sports guy.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Toth is a moron. You know your points are weak when Westwood of all people can call you out.

Keep Brandon and chuck the rest. TBH, would not be surprised to see Ace Burpee head over to TSN. Big sports guy.

I'd be surprised to see him there. He makes good money on FM radio that he would not at 1290.

Reactions: basplit

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Speaking of Lawless is he still employed by the Golden Knights, thought they had reduced his role?

I heard him the other day doing colour on the radio broadcast. What a gong show that was. Fumbling over words. Stammering. You could actually see his head get red over the radio.

Reactions: Board Bard

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I heard him the other day doing colour on the radio broadcast. What a gong show that was. Fumbling over words. Stammering. You could actually see his head get red over the radio.
Lawless would be awful for colour commentary. It takes him 2 or 3 minutes just to ask a question. Also, he doesn't really understand the game of hockey well enough to comment. That might not be an issue in a market with a lot of new fans, I suppose.

Reactions: Gm0ney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->