TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Anyone catch IC this morning? In discussing ‘the situation in the room’ they basically said that ‘they hear things but won’t name names’. If those guys know something you can be sure every member of the media knows who and what the problem is. Would be nice if anyone would actually report something.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't believe that, no. If McKenzie knew the contract was done, he would've reported it.
Seems pretty naive that you would believe it’s more likely that Mackenzie would know the numbers(within 200k) and present a ridiculous roster/cap plan for no reason the day before the Matthews contract was signed.

I have no doubt that he went on TV to project the Leafs 2019/20 the day before the Matthews signing was a complete Leafs PR stunt. Who is presenting 2019/20 cap and roster plans for the next year in early February? So called insiders have to scratch backs to continue being “insiders”. It was all to soften the blow of only getting 5 years for the 6th highest cap hit in the league.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Highlight of yesterdays two hours of morning show calls was the last caller. Asks the hosts what they think the team needs. Toth says 5v5 play and defensive play needs to improve. Rewecki chimes in a basically explains to Toth that's coaching.
You want to mess him up? Make home chose between it being a coaching problem or a GM problem. That’s the truth of it, it’s either the GM didn’t supply the players or the coach didn’t put the players into a position to succeed.

I’d blame the coaching. There’s a lot of talent on this team.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
You want to mess him up? Make home chose between it being a coaching problem or a GM problem. That’s the truth of it, it’s either the GM didn’t supply the players or the coach didn’t put the players into a position to succeed.

I’d blame the coaching. There’s a lot of talent on this team.

This is the simpletons assessment. When players under perform, its because they were coached to do so, or even a further stretch, the GM didnt make the moves needed to get the job done.

But alas, when the players over perform, neither the coach or GM had any play in that.

Truth is, the organization failed, coaches, players and GM. You assess the entirety of the entity, not aspects you dislike, while ignoring the fact that players played to a level lesser than last season. That is not a coach, that is not a GM, its the players that controlled that.

Reactions: Snowman and Duke749

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
What drives me nuts about Canadian media and well hockey media in general is the absolute gag order put on them by the NHL and the local teams.

I follow the NFL far more closely then the NHL. My team the Eagles, I listen to the biggest local media sports radio talk show there, if the officials sucked, guess what they say they sucked, if they blew the biggest play of the game that cost the Eagles the game guess what they say it.

If the coaching sucks they state it and back it up with relevant situational material showing why its bad or was bad in a particular game or situation or year.

Here? Anyone remember just before Noel got fired? 1290 was in full damage control mode, saying that "you cant lose the room as a coach" huh? "Coaching doesnt matter in the NHL" wtf?

Nothing is ever the officials fault, nothing is ever the coaches fault, everyone is untouchable other then the rookies. I absolutely hate the media coverage in the NHL period across the board, the U.S. its a bit more tolerable. They call stuff out more often and have less tolerance for being dictated on what to say.
Haha. That’s always my favorite. Wheeler, Buff, Perrault take bad penalties. “Those young players on this team need to learn to be more disciplined”!

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
I don't usually disagree with Westwood but his take on this 'college loop hole' thing is just stupid. Basically he says that once a player is drafted he should remain the property of the club forever. He made Toth look smart this morning.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
This is the simpletons assessment. When players under perform, its because they were coached to do so, or even a further stretch, the GM didnt make the moves needed to get the job done.

But alas, when the players over perform, neither the coach or GM had any play in that.

Truth is, the organization failed, coaches, players and GM. You assess the entirety of the entity, not aspects you dislike, while ignoring the fact that players played to a level lesser than last season. That is not a coach, that is not a GM, its the players that controlled that.
Only an idiot would discount the coaches impact on a team. Only a complete ignoramus would believe a better coaching wouldn’t have helped a team of this talent level given to him by the GM. This isn’t a quick snapshot. Maurice did well last year. The year before was a complete failure with the talent he had and this year the overall play was a complete disappointment.

You’re supposed to be able to teach defense. To make excuses about letting other teams take shots because he wants to pretend they are from the areas he wants (5th worst in shots against in the league). To say in November when they were winning that they need to play the same game in the first as they do in the 3rd then we see them constantly blow leads because they stop putting two men in on the forecheck. They would get the lead drop 4 guys back and have one half hearted forechecker. Then everyone collapses in and they let the other team have a shooting gallery from what Maurice will insist to the media are from the spots they want them to shoot from. At some point the passive penalty kill (22nd in the league) and overall defensive play (15th in GA) is on the coach more than any other aspect of the game. They were also 19th in 5 on 5.

What is Maurice hanging his hat on? The talent is there, I don’t think many will disagree with that. It’s how the talent is being used.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Only an idiot would discount the coaches impact on a team. Only a complete ignoramus would believe a better coaching wouldn’t have helped a team of this talent level given to him by the GM. This isn’t a quick snapshot. Maurice did well last year. The year before was a complete failure with the talent he had and this year the overall play was a complete disappointment.

You’re supposed to be able to teach defense. To make excuses about letting other teams take shots because he wants to pretend they are from the areas he wants (5th worst in shots against in the league). To say in November when they were winning that they need to play the same game in the first as they do in the 3rd then we see them constantly blow leads because they stop putting two men in on the forecheck. They would get the lead drop 4 guys back and have one half hearted forechecker. Then everyone collapses in and they let the other team have a shooting gallery from what Maurice will insist to the media are from the spots they want them to shoot from. At some point the passive penalty kill (22nd in the league) and overall defensive play (15th in GA) is on the coach more than any other aspect of the game. They were also 19th in 5 on 5.

What is Maurice hanging his hat on? The talent is there, I don’t think many will disagree with that. It’s how the talent is being used.

Lol, wow do you struggle with comprehension. Did I say Maurice shouldn’t be held responsible?
Your reply states that your blinders are only allowing you to assess one entity, and ignore everything else.

Only a simpleton would ignore 19 players that actually had the most influence over the outcome of that series. Or someone that has never played this game would think coaches have complete control with your performance on the ice. Like they are helpless puppies out there. lol

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Lol, wow do you struggle with comprehension. Did I say Maurice shouldn’t be held responsible?
Your reply states that your blinders are only allowing you to assess one entity, and ignore everything else.

Only a simpleton would ignore 19 players that actually had the most influence over the outcome of that series. Or someone that has never played this game would think coaches have complete control with your performance on the ice. Like they are helpless puppies out there. lol

Your position that everyone and no one is at fault is just useless. I’m not saying that coaching was the only problem, just the biggest. Players have to play within the structures the coach gives them and it all starts there. Without good coaching your team is already at a disadvantage from day 1.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Your position that everyone and no one is at fault is just useless. I’m not saying that coaching was the only problem, just the biggest. Players have to play within the structures the coach gives them and it all starts there. Without good coaching your team is already at a disadvantage from day 1.

A coach can have the best chalk board structure out there, a Scotty Bowman game plan, but if they players fail in executing it, there is nothing a coach can do. There is plenty of blame that can be laid at the players feet, and Maurice's as well.

People love to point fingers at a coach stating their game plan sucked, or the structure the coached, but when you challenge them to speak to the structure they implemented and why it failed, most cant tell you what that is, because they don't know one structure from another.

I saw way more issues with performance than I saw with structure. Our structure requires our players to play with fast pace, strong puck support and close gaps. All of this requires your personal to be moving their feet, and failure to do so causes complete collapse of that structure. I saw that much more than I saw poor coaching.

Where Maurice failed this team was not exploring other line options with Wheeler and Scheif, not exploring other options on our PP and not evolving the power play structure. He also relies way to heavily on vets, and panders to them when they are under performing.

Reactions: Jets 31

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Seems pretty naive that you would believe it’s more likely that Mackenzie would know the numbers(within 200k) and present a ridiculous roster/cap plan for no reason the day before the Matthews contract was signed.

I have no doubt that he went on TV to project the Leafs 2019/20 the day before the Matthews signing was a complete Leafs PR stunt. Who is presenting 2019/20 cap and roster plans for the next year in early February? So called insiders have to scratch backs to continue being “insiders”. It was all to soften the blow of only getting 5 years for the 6th highest cap hit in the league.

Reporters and analysts who have made their career out of speculation and a desire to mention all things Leafs would have me believe that they would project the Leafs following season without knowing for sure what the facts are.

I can believe that McKenzie knew a deal was close, sure. Where I take my issue is with the same thing I mentioned earlier about how TNSE is using TSN1290 as a vehicle to lay public opinion groundwork before deals are announced to "soften the blow". I do not believe that Bob McKenzie was sent out to make the Matthews contract more palatable before it was officially announced.

Reactions: wgpsensfan

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I saw way more issues with performance than I saw with structure. Our structure requires our players to play with fast pace, strong puck support and close gaps. All of this requires your personal to be moving their feet, and failure to do so causes complete collapse of that structure. I saw that much more than I saw poor coaching.

OK, but why was that the case? Why weren't the players "moving their feet?" Because they are lazy and don't want to win? If that's the case...then I guess we need to get rid of a bunch of players and bring in new ones. Or, is it because they don't buy what the coach is selling them? If the latter, and if the coach continues to be unable to make buyers out of them...well sadly that is again a coaching issue. That's part of his job.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
OK, but why was that the case? Why weren't the players "moving their feet?" Because they are lazy and don't want to win? If that's the case...then I guess we need to get rid of a bunch of players and bring in new ones. Or, is it because they don't buy what the coach is selling them? If the latter, and if the coach continues to be unable to make buyers out of them...well sadly that is again a coaching issue. That's part of his job.

Does it ever occur to anyone that a player’s performance is influenced by their abilities to simply perform at the highest level under the highest of pressures?

That its not as simple as blaming a coach for not coaching it out of them, or the player for being lazy or not buying in. Its not mandatory that someone failed at their job in order for another to be successful.

With that said, there is blame, there are things that need to be worked on and improved, across all aspects of this team, coaches and players.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Does it ever occur to anyone that a player’s performance is influenced by their abilities to simply perform at the highest level under the highest of pressures?

That its not as simple as blaming a coach for not coaching it out of them, or the player for being lazy or not buying in. Its not mandatory that someone failed at their job in order for another to be successful.

With that said, there is blame, there are things that need to be worked on and improved, across all aspects of this team, coaches and players.

Nobody said it's a fair situation necessarily. But when things don't go well for long enough, changes will be made. And its simply a lot easier to change a coach than a bunch of players right? If we are just talking about "a player" then sure, change a player...or just get him some extra coaching or whatever. But when there are signs of a team of players not gelling and not adhering to systems and under-performing - well, you aren't changing all the players. I'm not really sure what your point is actually. This is how pro sports work. There is a set of expectations established based on the talent a team has (or thinks it has) and if those expectations aren't met something has to be done to fix whatever the problems are. It's never just one thing, but no organization is going to start with the by far most difficult solution first.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Nobody said it's a fair situation necessarily. But when things don't go well for long enough, changes will be made. And its simply a lot easier to change a coach than a bunch of players right? If we are just talking about "a player" then sure, change a player...or just get him some extra coaching or whatever. But when there are signs of a team of players not gelling and not adhering to systems and under-performing - well, you aren't changing all the players. I'm not really sure what your point is actually. This is how pro sports work. There is a set of expectations established based on the talent a team has (or thinks it has) and if those expectations aren't met something has to be done to fix whatever the problems are. It's never just one thing, but no organization is going to start with the by far most difficult solution first.

Point is there is another team of skilled professional athletes trying to disrupt your ability to adhere and gel to whatever system your coach is coaching, and your inability to execute it. That there is not just one entity to blame, therefore making a singular change won’t necessarily fix the problem.

I get how the system works, you cannot fire a team, but sometimes, many times, you don’t need to fire anyone, you allowthe opportunity to improve on the things they failed at previously. Its called growth but it doesn’t happen if your only solution is to replace.

Maurice is not getting fired this offseason and will be given the opportunity to fix the issues that plagued this team this season. He will be on a-hot seat throughout the season, and if we are still plagued by the same issues next season, then a change most likely happens.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Maurice is not getting fired this offseason and will be given the opportunity to fix the issues that plagued this team this season. He will be on a-hot seat throughout the season, and if we are still plagued by the same issues next season, then a change most likely happens.

yes this is how I see it as well.

Briscodog

May 2, 2016
Illegal Curve on Saturday...."We're around the team on a regular basis and we know what's wrong in the locker room but we're not gonna name names." Who the heck do you serve? The fans who spend money with your sponsors or your friends at TNSE?? Are you not in the media? Journalists?

Worried about access? A journalist/media member worth his/her salt would print the story and preserve their integrity. Maybe it's time to turn in your media pass and go sling pastrami at Bernstein's Deli.

Reactions: Huffer and Jack722

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Illegal Curve on Saturday...."We're around the team on a regular basis and we know what's wrong in the locker room but we're not gonna name names." Who the heck do you serve? The fans who spend money with your sponsors or your friends at TNSE?? Are you not in the media? Journalists?

Worried about access? A journalist/media member worth his/her salt would print the story and preserve their integrity. Maybe it's time to turn in your media pass and go sling pastrami at Bernstein's Deli.

That's all they are worried about... you don't want to experience the wrath of TNSE.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Point is there is another team of skilled professional athletes trying to disrupt your ability to adhere and gel to whatever system your coach is coaching, and your inability to execute it. That there is not just one entity to blame, therefore making a singular change won’t necessarily fix the problem.

I get how the system works, you cannot fire a team, but sometimes, many times, you don’t need to fire anyone, you allowthe opportunity to improve on the things they failed at previously. Its called growth but it doesn’t happen if your only solution is to replace.

Is this Jim Toth? These all sound like silly Toth arguments.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Is this Jim Toth? These all sound like silly Toth arguments.

Its not an argument, its fact. We saw several top teams drop out after the first round in these playoffs. There wasn’t several coaches that failed in coaching, or several teams that tuned out their coach and his game plan. Good teams with good coaching lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad