TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
i had the radio on in the background, did Toth cite Trouba wanting 9M? This wouldn't be the first time he's said this on-air from what I can recall (pretty sure around the time of Trouba's arb case Toth said this). Is Toth just saying this to put the heat on Trouba on requesting for to much $?

folix

Jul 24, 2011
What drives me nuts about Canadian media and well hockey media in general is the absolute gag order put on them by the NHL and the local teams.

I follow the NFL far more closely then the NHL. My team the Eagles, I listen to the biggest local media sports radio talk show there, if the officials sucked, guess what they say they sucked, if they blew the biggest play of the game that cost the Eagles the game guess what they say it.

If the coaching sucks they state it and back it up with relevant situational material showing why its bad or was bad in a particular game or situation or year.

Here? Anyone remember just before Noel got fired? 1290 was in full damage control mode, saying that "you cant lose the room as a coach" huh? "Coaching doesnt matter in the NHL" wtf?

Nothing is ever the officials fault, nothing is ever the coaches fault, everyone is untouchable other then the rookies. I absolutely hate the media coverage in the NHL period across the board, the U.S. its a bit more tolerable. They call stuff out more often and have less tolerance for being dictated on what to say.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
Well, when you have an owner that basically throws the media people to the far end of the press box so they can't hear anything negative he says about his team ( and yes it's a whole other debate about what was heard and should it be publishable ) it shows you what the media in Winnipeg has to deal with.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Well, when you have an owner that basically throws the media people to the far end of the press box so they can't hear anything negative he says about his team ( and yes it's a whole other debate about what was heard and should it be publishable ) it shows you what the media in Winnipeg has to deal with.
Just curious... do you work at the CBC?

DM81

Apr 21, 2019
What drives me nuts about Canadian media and well hockey media in general is the absolute gag order put on them by the NHL and the local teams.

I follow the NFL far more closely then the NHL. My team the Eagles, I listen to the biggest local media sports radio talk show there, if the officials sucked, guess what they say they sucked, if they blew the biggest play of the game that cost the Eagles the game guess what they say it.

If the coaching sucks they state it and back it up with relevant situational material showing why its bad or was bad in a particular game or situation or year.

Here? Anyone remember just before Noel got fired? 1290 was in full damage control mode, saying that "you cant lose the room as a coach" huh? "Coaching doesnt matter in the NHL" wtf?

Nothing is ever the officials fault, nothing is ever the coaches fault, everyone is untouchable other then the rookies. I absolutely hate the media coverage in the NHL period across the board, the U.S. its a bit more tolerable. They call stuff out more often and have less tolerance for being dictated on what to say.

Agreed. They pander to TNSE in Winnipeg, they go with whatever is released. Nobody dares share an opposing opinion or ask a tough question.

The point that is driving me nuts is blaming the schedule at the moment. Dallas, Colorado and San Jose all had more miles travelled and more time zones travelled that the Jets and they are still playing....I mean if you want to blame being tired from the Schedule, how the heck has San Jose done so well when they routinely lead the league in miles travelled?

in 2015-2016 they lead the league in miles and made it to the Finals...

NHL Travel Miles: The 2017-18 Super Schedule!

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
The travel miles post is a good one. There seem to be some go to excuses that are pitched as a common theme as to why our great coach and fantastic roster always lose. They include 'we were tired/ travel', 'we got goalied' and 'puck luck'.

Winners deal with these things and win. Losers look for excuses to justify their losing. It's ok to lose. But learn from it and be better. There are still people clinging to we got goalied from last year when it has proven to be a false narrative through analytics. We had less quality scoring chances against vegas than they had on us. Then, other than 2 games against St Louis we didn't go to the net much. The games we did, we won. Instead we reverted to the perimeter o zone game that doesn't win in the post season. Same issue against Vegas. If you dont learn from your mistakes you will repeat them

Last edited:

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Sigh, Toth was telling everyone Samberg goes back into the draft if the Jets don't sign him this year...:rolleyes:

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
Trevor Kidd asked about the problems in the room this morning. Starts with something to the effect that players all want to play more then heads into a 5 minute diatribe about the good things the team has going for it and a need to improve on 5v5 and defense. That's a perfect example answer the question you hoped they asked and not the one they did.

Last edited:

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
Do tell

Whileee

May 29, 2010
How does it help the Jets to have them overhearing the personal and private opinions of the owner?

Reactions: Jets 31

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Trevor Kidd asked about the problems in the room this morning. Starts with something to the effect that players all want to play more then heads into a 5 minute diatribe about the good things the team has going for it and a need to improve on 5v5 and defense. That's a perfect example answer the question you hoped they asked and not the one they did.
I was listening to that. As soon as he said the words about "there was a lot of good this season" I knew it was predictable company-man tripe and turned the channel. Hey 1290, if you want to continue to lose listeners, have the company men continue to sugar coat the truth.

Neuf

Leaving HFBoards for now
Dec 17, 2016
1290 has increased hockey coverage since Jets were eliminated. Talking about other teams, offseason, etc. I'm hearing more hockey this week than during the Jets run.

Is it because there's no golf right now, or because they don't get to talk much about other teams during the season?

Anyway, it was nice.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
1290 has increased hockey coverage since Jets were eliminated. Talking about other teams, offseason, etc. I'm hearing more hockey this week than during the Jets run.

Is it because there's no golf right now, or because they don't get to talk much about other teams during the season?

Anyway, it was nice.
I dont think talk or research about other teams much during the season. When you have Toth scrambling to find out how long Dubas has been the Leafs GM i think it shows :laugh:

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Anyway, it was nice.

Probably the golf thing. I'm guessing also that the competitive eating season hasn't started yet.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Anyway, it was nice.
Competitive Eating season hasn't started yet...

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Sigh, Toth was telling everyone Samberg goes back into the draft if the Jets don't sign him this year...:rolleyes:
What does this guy do in his free time? As far as I know, he's single. Spend some time buddy doing some research so you don't look like an idiot when doing your job. Just pathetic.

Last edited:

barrywpg

Nov 17, 2011
Competitive Eating season hasn't started yet...

Talk about jinxing things.
Andrew Paterson tweeted this 1 hr ago

Unfortunately I cannot comment on this today - I am aware many have heard the rumours we would be moving the Perogy Eating Championshipt to a bigger venue but you will have to wait until Monday
Andrew Paterson added,
Drew Mindell @ICdrew
True North Sports & Entertainment holding a press conference on Monday afternoon to announce "a major international sporting event coming to Bell MTS Place in summer 2019."
4 replies0 retweets23 likes
Reply 4

Retweet

Like 23

Direct message

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad