TSN Radio: 1290 am - Part VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
How about it is virtually the same roster as a year ago? Then the debate becomes does a mostly young group of players forever lose their way or can they find a way to regroup?

of course. If we're just talking about the names on the roster it's largely the same team. But they didn't really play like the same team. It's entirely possible the team comes out next year under Mo and has a great season and goes far in the post season. I'm not the amazing kreskin. lol. I also don't have a hate on for Paul Maurice or for coaches in general. All I'm saying is there are some valid reasons for people to be wondering if a coaching change might be on the horizon. It's not just people looking for someone to blame...there's some meat on that bone.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
We were almost identical team to the previous season, which was a very good team.

There is a very good possibility that a team which exited the first round of the playoffs this season will win the cup next year, with the same coach. I put us in that group of possibilities.

We were a .500 team wins and losses for the last 3 1/2 months of the season and were .333 in the playoffs. This team in no way resembled last year's team in on ice play, points in the standings, playoff performance. Additional changes are assured this summer.

I agree with your statement above that it is in the group of possibilities that we will win the cup next year, strictly due to the definition of the word possibilities. Probability wise, it is much more likely that we don't make the playoffs than we make a run for the cup.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
I agree with your statement above that it is in the group of possibilities that we will win the cup next year, strictly due to the definition of the word possibilities. Probability wise, it is much more likely that we don't make the playoffs than we make a run for the cup.
The way the league looks at this particular point in time, I think both scenarios are equally likely.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
We were almost identical team to the previous season, which was a very good team.

There is a very good possibility that a team which exited the first round of the playoffs this season will win the cup next year, with the same coach. I put us in that group of possibilities.
Forget winning the cup, if they play like the did in the last 4 months of the season they are longshots to even make the playoffs. The real question should be what needs to be done to get their level of play back up to where they can make the playoffs.

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
Not sure Lawless is the answer to Toth. You get the same lack of insight, with even less preparation but with the added benefit of a little wheezing between words. Maybe for good measure he will endlessly pump the tires of the Golden Knights all summer long.
Lawless is great! We need to start a Twitter hash tag: #BringBackLawless

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
some of his takes on contracts are embarassing
The mental gymnastics he has to do justify the positions he takes on Laine/Connor and Ehlers is getting ridiculous. Remind me again why we listen to 1290?

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I'm not sure I've ever seen that in print before. You any relation?
No I just really started appreciating him shortly before he left. He was Winnipeg's last true insider. We have none now...just guys who regurgitate what the Bombers/Jets communication reps feed them (i.e. Scott Brown and Darren Cameron). Lawless had real insider contacts in the industry.

Reactions: TS Quint

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
We were a .500 team wins and losses for the last 3 1/2 months of the season and were .333 in the playoffs. This team in no way resembled last year's team in on ice play, points in the standings, playoff performance. Additional changes are assured this summer.

Personal wise, this team is almost identical to the previous season, obviously the results varied.

And probability wise, it is much much more likely we make playoffs than we do not. If you are giving me straight up odds on making a playoff spot next season, I will be willing to put some major cash on that. As poorly as we played, we still limped into the playoffs with fair ease. Even a slight improvement gets us over a 100 points and a safe spot in the dance.

Teams have off years, and rebound the following season. We have several players whose best seasons are still years away. We are one of the youngest teams in the league, so not sure why some think we are on the down turn of our teams development.

Reactions: Jets 31

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
lot's of "all kinds of fun'n" and "darn good buddy'n" on The Big Show this morning. lol...

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Personal wise, this team is almost identical to the previous season, obviously the results varied.

And probability wise, it is much much more likely we make playoffs than we do not. If you are giving me straight up odds on making a playoff spot next season, I will be willing to put some major cash on that. As poorly as we played, we still limped into the playoffs with fair ease. Even a slight improvement gets us over a 100 points and a safe spot in the dance.

Teams have off years, and rebound the following season. We have several players whose best seasons are still years away. We are one of the youngest teams in the league, so not sure why some think we are on the down turn of our teams development.

The comparison you made was to winning the cup. I was pointing out that it is more likely that we don't make the playoffs next year than us winning the cup. I think even you would agree with that.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
The comparison you made was to winning the cup. I was pointing out that it is more likely that we don't make the playoffs next year than us winning the cup. I think even you would agree with that.

The same could be said for almost all teams as there is one cup winner and 16 teams that miss playoffs. Either way, I do not see us missing playoffs for several seasons, barring massive injuries.

Reactions: Jets 31

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
The same could be said for almost all teams as there is one cup winner and 16 teams that miss playoffs. Either way, I do not see us missing playoffs for several seasons, barring massive injuries.
On an only slightly related note... if Columbus makes it to the finals this season, only two current franchises will have never made it that far. Winnipeg (Jets) and the (Winnipeg) Coyotes.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
On an only slightly related note... if Columbus makes it to the finals this season, only two current franchises will have never made it that far. Winnipeg (Jets) and the (Winnipeg) Coyotes.
The Minnesota Wild haven't been to the Finals either.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
No I just really started appreciating him shortly before he left. He was Winnipeg's last true insider. We have none now...just guys who regurgitate what the Bombers/Jets communication reps feed them (i.e. Scott Brown and Darren Cameron). Lawless had real insider contacts in the industry.
The only people that were sad to see Lawless go were the owners of Myers Deli :D

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I said the same thing on another thread. We don't have any real local NHL insider guys anymore and like him or not Lawless did have relationships with GM's, coaches, players and others that no media guys in Winnipeg now can match. And he generated some interesting info and interviews on Hustler and Lawless. For example I don't think I've heard NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly on Hustler's show since Lawless left.

In spite of his not-built-for-TV physical attributes he was an example of a guy that was cherry picked by a bigger market because he hustled for info and was good. And TSN was beginning to use him for other panel coverage spots too just before he left.

And the high spirited banter/debates/arguments with Hustler were definitely entertaining. Not the same repore with Rick Ralph.

1290 has gone downhill in so many ways. Bring back Vic Grant!

Reactions: ps241

Al Camino

Jul 18, 2018
"Before we lose anymore listeners (North End) Rick. What's your question?" - Jim Toth

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I always liked lawless. There is a reason Vegas hired him

I think him and Wiebe are pretty interchangeable. Nothing special, but they get the job done.

One guy I really like that isn’t used too much is Darrin Bauming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad