Golf: 120th US Open - September 17-20

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The USGA knows the reputation it is combating and admitted that this week for the U.S. Open at Winged Foot it might find some spots here and there to give the players a break.

"We kept looking at ways [to] make the golf course a little bit easier because this is such a great test," USGA CEO Mike Davis said Wednesday on the eve of the first round of the year's second major. "It puts the premium on everything."

USGA: Tried to make Winged Foot a little easier

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
I'm inclined to agree about Tiger. Club down off the tee and utilize the biggest strength of his game these days which is his irons.

Wedge play might be the deciding factor this week... guys are going to have to hack it out of the rough to like 75-125 yards from the green a lot of the times they miss the fairway.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Tiger falling apart now. These scores are really fluky good for this course. With strong winds tomorrow I’m thinking most of these guys will shoot way worse Friday

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Tiger falling apart now. These scores are really fluky good for this course. With strong winds tomorrow I’m thinking most of these guys will shoot way worse Friday

And so many middle pins. When Hanse restored the greens to the initial design, it added so many pins that weren’t there for many years.

Reactions: Cody Webster

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
I read they are playing it easy Thursday/Friday because if they made it as hard as they can the players wouldn't finish in time lol.

Hanging around even par is going to be a real good sign for any player...we'll see how tough it plays on the weekend.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
Man, the driver hasn't been too bad, he's missed a number of fairways by only a few yards, but boy, what a difference those few yards make

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
I read they are playing it easy Thursday/Friday because if they made it as hard as they can the players wouldn't finish in time lol.

Hanging around even par is going to be a real good sign for any player...we'll see how tough it plays on the weekend.

They did mention this earlier during the broadcast. By having to play now versus in June, they lost about 2 1/2 hours of light. They don't want people out there playing a 6 hour round because not everyone would be able to complete the round. A lot of middle of the green pin locations and doesn't sound like the greens are as firm as they could be. The weekend might be a different story though once the field is cut in half

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad