Golf: 120th US Open - September 17-20

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Is the golf ball now going to be rolled back?

Slightly cherrypicked as the four winners prior to this stretch were Spieth/Kaymer/Rose/Simpson who are all decidedly not bombers, but still kind of alarming.

The NoLayingUp guys think that Bryson dominating the next couple of years is the best chance at having the ball rolled back. He really does rattle a lot of people who are close to the game, which became more apparent as the broadcast increased their focus on him the past two days. But with how stubborn the USGA and the R&A are...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

Slightly cherrypicked as the four winners prior to this stretch were Spieth/Kaymer/Rose/Simpson who are all decidedly not bombers, but still kind of alarming.

The NoLayingUp guys think that Bryson dominating the next couple of years is the best chance at having the ball rolled back. He really does rattle a lot of people who are close to the game, which became more apparent as the broadcast increased their focus on him the past two days. But with how stubborn the USGA and the R&A are...

Exactly. You can't make golf courses 8000 yards. Roll the ball back. If you gain 50 pounds, you'll still have an advantage, but it won't be proportionally as great.

Until then, long rough and narrow fairways is not the answer for the big championships. None of the top players hit a lot of fairways, and when you have wedge into every hole, even if you are in deep rough, you aren't often in much trouble. Until then, they need to find some middle ground with the fairways, and firm up greens significantly. I also wouldn't be completely against adding additional OB hazards to golf courses. It'll make these guys actually consider the clubs they hit off the tee instead of bombing and gauging.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
One guy under par, and one final round under par and people still want to complain and act like the sport is in a crisis...

Where were all the other bombers and long hitters not in contention?

Last edited:

GoBuds14

Dec 15, 2015
One guy under par, and one final round under par and people still want to complain and act like the sport is in a crisis...

Bingo.... all the attention will be on Brysons driver. But his short game was unbelievable and that’s what wins majors

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012

Wolff did finish 2nd in driving distance, Bryson was 7th. But I do agree with you, I don’t see as big of a problem as others do.

The guy that was #1 in distance hit this drive though.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
The golf ball should not be going 350+ yards with regularity, in my opinion. It’s no one’s fault, but we can’t make golf courses 9000 yards. Bryson may just be the person who causes the adjustment. Same thing with anchoring the putter after Ernie won the Open.

There needs to be some adjustment. I don’t think we want to see golf change so radically that no one hits mid long/irons anymore.

Reactions: saluki

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I watch some of these guys swing away off the tee like maniacs and there seems to be no worry that the ball won't be playable wherever it ends up.

None whatsoever. It's the equipment as much as the ball.

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
The golf ball should not be going 350+ yards with regularity, in my opinion. It’s no one’s fault, but we can’t make golf courses 9000 yards. Bryson may just be the person who causes the adjustment. Same thing with anchoring the putter after Ernie won the Open.

There needs to be some adjustment. I don’t think we want to see golf change so radically that no one hits mid long/irons anymore.
Mid-long irons are the hardest to control even for the pros, hence a lot of folks have found it to be an ineffective club. So if you can bomb a drive and use an 8 iron or less to get it close to the pin, why not?

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Mid-long irons are the hardest to control even for the pros, hence a lot of folks have found it to be an ineffective club. So if you can bomb a drive and use an 8 iron or less to get it close to the pin, why not?

It's an effective strategy. It's also a radical change for professional golf.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
And of course Tiger misses the first fairway, only one in the group to...fairway looks 100 yards wide too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad