Golf: 120th US Open - September 17-20

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ve been looking forward to this week since 2006, which is why I’m really sad that there are no fans this year. I would’ve been there. I’m biased, but this is the best golf course in the world. I’m not a member, but Winged Foot is the most local US Open venue to me. I’ve played this course a bunch. I know some members, so I usually get to play it about once per year. The East is also a Championship caliber course, but lacks the infrastructure to host a big tournament.

I’m not an expert, but I would distill the challenge to this.

What stands out the most about this course are the greens and the areas around them. They are a really weird shape, and nearly all slope back to front. That video above is a good picture of how you have to play some shots around the greens. The miss on almost every hole is in front, and nowhere else. You’d often rather be off the green in front 15 yards from the pin than on the green above the hole putting from 35 feet.

The fairways are wider than you’d think, but these guys are going to have to hit it both ways, so they aren’t going to be easy to hit. Positioning off the tee is also important. There are going to be times you’d rather bomb it all the way down there, maybe be in the rough, have a good angle, and pitch out from the rough to 30 yards than hit a conservative club off the tee, have a bad angle, and have to hit a mid iron that it will be nearly impossible to stop it below the hole.

And short game is going to matter. Guys will miss greens and need to show off creativity around them. That’s how Phil nearly won in 2006.

I’m going with Rahm to win at +3.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
It's going to be weird to watch this and football at the same time!

I would love to see Phil pull off the miracle and somehow win it. What a story that would be.

Realistically, DJ's just playing so f***ing good, hard not to go with him.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Pat and Jordan grouped together. Big win there. Pat's putting and short game will really help out here and he performs well on hard courses... but god damn if he isn't screwed this week by his poor driving. Meanwhile, Big Brooks being out hurts but I'm temporarily off him anyway after Sunday at the PGA. Gotta earn my respect back.

Feels like Justin Thomas is overdue to contend in a major. I'll take him to win.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
You trust his driver?? That rough is bonkers.

The rough is way over-talked about, in my opinion.

A lot of what's going to be important this week is golf IQ, playing the right angles, missing in the right places, lag-putting, green reading, short game creativity. Tiger rates high on all of those.

Everyone will miss it in the rough and chop out to scramble for pars, and no one is going to hit that many greens. Limiting the big numbers will be crucial, and Tiger doesn't have to keep up with Bryson, Rory, Dustin's A game this week because none of them are going to be able to play their A game and shoot 63.

I guess if Tiger's back is hurting and he's not feeling up to the grind, he could struggle, but I think this is a week that'll suit the types of majors he can contend in going forward.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
The rough is way over-talked about, in my opinion.

A lot of what's going to be important this week is golf IQ, playing the right angles, missing in the right places, lag-putting, green reading, short game creativity. Tiger rates high on all of those.

Everyone will miss it in the rough and chop out to scramble for pars, and no one is going to hit that many greens. Limiting the big numbers will be crucial, and Tiger doesn't have to keep up with Bryson, Rory, Dustin's A game this week because none of them are going to be able to play their A game and shoot 63.

I guess if Tiger's back is hurting and he's not feeling up to the grind, he could struggle, but I think this is a week that'll suit the types of majors he can contend in going forward.
That's fair, I definitely agree with everything else setting up well for Tiger. If he has a decent driving week he should contend, but sometimes he gets wild with that thing.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
The coverage seems pretty solid, except for the last two hours...

7:30 AM to 2PM on Golf Channel
2Pm to 5Pm on NBC
5PM to 7PM on Peacock, NBC's streaming service

I get that it's free, but why in the flying f*** are you using a streaming service for the final two hours. I can pull it up on my phone and stream it through my phone to my TV, but how else are you supposed to get it on your TV for those final two hours? Are you just supposed to watch on your Ipad or some shit?

I'd love to see Tiger be in contention, but I could very easily see him missing the cut. I think the driver is going to kill him

Winner: DJ +3

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
I get that it's free, but why in the flying f*** are you using a streaming service for the final two hours. I can pull it up on my phone and stream it through my phone to my TV, but how else are you supposed to get it on your TV for those final two hours? Are you just supposed to watch on your Ipad or some shit?

They are doing this with their programming for a lot of sports. I think it's to get people to start using this platform. If you force them to use it this time, maybe they'll use in in the future.

Cody Webster

Jul 18, 2014
They are doing this with their programming for a lot of sports. I think it's to get people to start using this platform. If you force them to use it this time, maybe they'll use in in the future.
Pure garbage.

I haven't used it before, but I am guessing there's an app you can use on your TV?

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
Rahm/Thomas/Johnson vs the field?

The field is way too deep. This isn't Nadal/Federer/Djokovic circa-2015 vs. the field.

I’d take the field here too. There are so many players that can win nowadays. Schauffele, Webb Simpson, Morikawa, Rory, Tiger, Jason Day, Berger, Cantlay, Fowler just to name a few.

Looking forward to this. Course looks great.

Last edited:

CHfan1

Apr 23, 2012
The coverage seems pretty solid, except for the last two hours...

7:30 AM to 2PM on Golf Channel
2Pm to 5Pm on NBC
5PM to 7PM on Peacock, NBC's streaming service

I'd love to see Tiger be in contention, but I could very easily see him missing the cut. I think the driver is going to kill him

Winner: DJ +3

That sucks. For us in Canada, we’re lucky and have it on TSN (our sports station) from 7:30 am EST to 7 pm EST tomorrow and Friday.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad