GDT: 12/30/14 "French Connection" - Canadiens VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

PanthersHockey1

South by Southeast
Mar 11, 2010
Palm Trees
I really hope we are buyers for some offensive help at the deadline. This is the best this team has played in years.

I'd argue better than 2011-12 season based on competition, defense, and advanced stat numbers

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I know it's not indicative of everything regarding an individual player because it's mostly a team stat really, but Olsen is a -1 this year despite only having 6 points. He was also just a -3 in 44 games last year on a terrible team.

Maybe it's because I just don't expect much from him, but I really don't think he's that bad.

Then again, after watching the likes of Jovo and Kuba the past couple of years, if a defenseman is cheap and can do things like skate, I just learn to accept it. :laugh:

Olsen isn't that bad. There are worse 6th defensemen. I hope we acquire a better one at the deadline/in the offseason, but he'll do for now. He's far from terrible.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Olsen isn't that bad. There are worse 6th defensemen. I hope we acquire a better one at the deadline/in the offseason, but he'll do for now. He's far from terrible.

None of our current 6 D are FA next season, so I don't really expect much barring a trade obviously. D is fine for now and the foreseeable future.

Top wingers on the other hand...

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
We all have someone. I understand he's a 6th D man but he gets his fair share of TOI. Whether it's untimely pinches, standing flat footed in the D zone, fumbling the puck away, or getting out worked in his own zone I just don't think he's good enough. He seems to frequently be responsible for good chances if not goals for the opposition.

We must be watching completely different players.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I really hope we are buyers for some offensive help at the deadline. This is the best this team has played in years.

I'd argue better than 2011-12 season based on competition, defense, and advanced stat numbers

Better than the 11-12 team but more importantly younger and on the rise...

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Olsen is playing well for a young guy. He makes some mistakes but everyone does. For whatever reason, people here expect players to NEVER make a SINGLE mistake.

Guds has improved as the season has gone on. Even though I like Olsen, I would love to pair Guds with a legit Veteran. I think that could take his game to another level.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
We must be watching completely different players.

Some people have started agreeing with me here the last few games. I honestly don't know how people don't see it but I'm willing to agree to disagree on this one since, while I'm not the only one thinking this (the most vocal definitely), it's definitely a minority thought as of now.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Olsen is playing well for a young guy. He makes some mistakes but everyone does. For whatever reason, people here expect players to NEVER make a SINGLE mistake.

I see it more as Olsen being the "outsider" as far as our current D corps go and someone who is not envisioned as part of the team's future or core going forward, hence his mistakes are pointed out more.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
Some people have started agreeing with me here the last few games. I honestly don't know how people don't see it but I'm willing to agree to disagree on this one since, while I'm not the only one thinking this (the most vocal definitely), it's definitely a minority thought as of now.

I just don't know how much more you can expect from a #6 defenseman.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I see it more as Olsen being the "outsider" as far as our current D corps go and someone who is not envisioned as part of the team's future or core going forward, hence his mistakes are pointed out more.

Could be. Fan favorites are given more leeway. He should be considered part of the core on D because he has upside, is playing well, is young, and super cheap. Not a key piece though.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I just don't know how much more you can expect from a #6 defenseman.

I'd rather not have to use the excuse of "well it was our #6" to account for the numerous questionable defensive plays that lead to prime chances and even goals for the opposition. It's too many. I'll start to get videos as examples because my rambling won't win anyone over. But again, I'll agree to disagree on him.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Could be. Fan favorites are given more leeway. He should be considered part of the core on D because he has upside, is playing well, is young, and super cheap. Not a key piece though.

But will Olsen still be around when the D prospects graduate?

After next season Campbell and Mitchell are gone and Olsen is a RFA. Looking forward that may be when Matheson, McCoshen are ready to jump in and you still have Petro waiting in the wings. Not to mention, whatever FA D we could end up signing as well. Should Olsen be considered heavily as part of the future?

Just a thought. I for one don't mind Olsen.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I'd rather not have to use the excuse of "well it was our #6" to account for the numerous questionable defensive plays that lead to prime chances and even goals for the opposition. It's too many. I'll start to get videos as examples because my rambling won't win anyone over. But again, I'll agree to disagree on him.

He's a -2 on a team that can't score. He's doing fine. And being the #6 is relevant because he shouldn't be held to the same standards as a Kulikov or a Campbell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad