GDT: 12/30/14 "French Connection" - Canadiens VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLpanthers16

#CatsAreComing
Jan 30, 2014
How did we not show up tonight? U expect us to just go out there and dominate and skate mtl into the ground? They played good against a great team that evevery other team in nhl has trouble scoring against...

Ohhhh myy......

Erick*

If we make the playoffs, I could envision this team playing the longest game in the history of hockey in continuous OT. It's been that type of rollercoaster ride with this team thus far.

Win or lose, they're fun to watch.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
One of his neutral zone turnovers led to Montreal's lone goal. "Nice try though."

As for his secondary assist, he can thank Ekblad and Bjugstad for it. I almost forgot he was a part of the shift because he wasn't even in the picture.

Speaking of glasses though, maybe you can take your homer glasses off. He had a bad game, and I'm not the only one on the GDT saying it. There's a reason for that.

He had a bad game, trouble controlling the puck, trouble getting the puck into the zone too much dumping the puck into the offensive zone, This happens because opposing forwards are coming at him, he doesn't have the speed to evade them and his bag of tricks doesn't work often when trying to get around them. He has less time at the NHL level to find his teammates when this happens so he just dumps the puck in. And as you said he had multiple turnovers all game.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
If we make the playoffs, I could envision this team playing the longest game in the history of hockey in continuous OT. It's been that type of rollercoaster ride with this team thus far.

Win or lose, they're fun to watch.

Haha I was thinking the exact same thing

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
He had a bad game, trouble controlling the puck, trouble getting the puck into the zone too much dumping the puck into the offensive zone, This happens because opposing forwards are coming at him, he doesn't have the speed to evade them and his bag of tricks doesn't work often when trying to get around them. He has less time at the NHL level to find his teammates when this happens so he just dumps the puck in. And as you said he had multiple turnovers all game.

None of which were dangerous or cost us a goal... yes he had a bad game but he is more responsible with the puck and was our best player last game... he will have bad games... that's part of being a young player... get used to it and realize it happens to most and he is still getting better

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
At least you admit he didn't play well. It's a step in the right direction for you. I hope Huby isn't upset that you critiqued his play on a message board. I'm sure he'll be fine. You defend certain players on this team like you're their dad.

As fans, we all want the team to be great. Underachievers like Huberdeau are the reason why we're not there yet. Hopefully he improves as the season goes on and we get better. He's been better lately. Hopefully this is just a bad game for him.

And, for what it's worth, I'm not going to criticize Trocheck like I criticize Huberdeau because Huberdeau was drafted to be one of this team's franchise players. Trocheck has exceeded expectations. Most 3rd rounders don't even get to the NHL.

It's called positivity, I've been impressed with you in that department for the most part this year.

I have no problem saying someone did something wrong or didn't play well. I mean, I have no problem telling everyone how much Dylan Olsen sucks at his job. However, unlike a fair amount on this board like to do, I don't see the point in focusing on only the negatives. Take tonight for example. When you say Huberdeau won them two points, that's ignorant. You are blatantly ignoring what he did well, as well as the concept of hockey being a team game, for the sole purpose of furthering your agenda.

In summary, to say he didn't play well is fine. To say he won the other team the game, is flat out wrong.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Habs fan here... You guys have a pretty nice team there (I'm a bit jealous)

yeah... the grass is always greener when looking at the neighbour's lawn.

Seriously I have been calling the Panthers a good potential top team for a year and a half now... Barkov, Huberdeau, Ekblad, Luongo, Gudbranson, Bjugstad. Everything is in place for the team to become a powerhouse and now that the right coach to build a strong defensively minded is there things will be moving up. I think the NHL has shown time and time again that building in the front before all else does NOT work in today's NHL.

Thats what we are doing and we are getting rewarded for it... Price, Subban, Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Pacioretty.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
It's called positivity, I've been impressed with you in that department for the most part this year.

I have no problem saying someone did something wrong or didn't play well. I mean, I have no problem telling everyone how much Dylan Olsen sucks at his job. However, unlike a fair amount on this board like to do, I don't see the point in focusing on only the negatives. Take tonight for example. When you say Huberdeau won them two points, that's ignorant. You are blatantly ignoring what he did well, as well as the concept of hockey being a team game, for the sole purpose of furthering your agenda.

In summary, to say he didn't play well is fine. To say he won the other team the game, is flat out wrong.

Actually Dylan olsen was solid tonight and is great at his job as a number 6 d man.

Erick*

I guess that's why it's great that we're all on here to jot down our inputs. You seem to think Huby did some things well tonight. I don't think he did at all, really. Of course, he didn't single-handedly cost us the game and that was hyperbole from me, but most posts on a gamethread aren't going to be rational especially after a loss.

Anyway, like I said, I do think that Huby has been playing better. I think I'm more objective than positive/negative, but maybe not. My posts are probably more positive lately because I see the team playing good hockey, as we all can see. At the same time, it's a bit frustrating sometimes when we struggle to score because I think we're really close to being a really good team. Maybe that comes with our guys maturing, but, at the same time, I feel like we have a window here with Luongo in net to do something special. He's not going to be playing at an elite level forever, and I'd like to go deep into the playoffs with him in net.

Also, I don't think that Dylan Olsen sucks at hockey so maybe I'm weird. ;)

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
None of which were dangerous or cost us a goal... yes he had a bad game but he is more responsible with the puck and was our best player last game... he will have bad games... that's part of being a young player... get used to it and realize it happens to most and he is still getting better

Get used to what? I don't recall saying that players were stagnate. He had a bad game he was not more responsible with the puck. I don't even know what you are comparing his puck responsibility too. Last year? Last game? 5 games ago? overall? it was nice of you to reiterate my points and give me sage advise on the life of young players in the NHL. I look forward to your observations of hockey. Whats next, hockey is played with sticks, the golaie wears a helmet, concussions are bad, the puck is black, it is hard?

BigDaddyLurch

Have some PRIDE, Eric...
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2013
Principle's Office
...Habs fan dropping by the party late just to say that you guys have one helluva team coming together...very fun to watch and Ekblad is going to be an absolute stud for the next 15 years for you guys; kid's got a phenomenal all-around game...congrats and great game; keep pushing the rest of the Atlantic cuz you're making us all better with the pressure...:thumbu:

Erick*

Actually Dylan olsen was solid tonight and is great at his job as a number 6 d man.

Yeah, I don't think he's awesome, but how many teams have 6 great d-men? For a #6 dman, I think Dylan Olsen does a pretty nice job. He doesn't embarrass himself on a consistent basis, and he can even chip in offensively at times. I like him for what he is, and I don't think it's fair to expect much more from him.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
Yeah, I don't think he's awesome, but how many teams have 6 great d-men? For a #6 dman, I think Dylan Olsen does a pretty nice job. He doesn't embarrass himself on a consistent basis, and he can even chip in offensively at times. I like him for what he is, and I don't think it's fair to expect much more from him.

He does seem to play well with Gudbranson.

And Gudbranson is just playing exceptionally well.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver

I find it weird how much you dislike Olsen.

He's a good 6th Dman, and he does not suck.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I guess that's why it's great that we're all on here to jot down our inputs. You seem to think Huby did some things well tonight. I don't think he did at all, really. Of course, he didn't single-handedly cost us the game and that was hyperbole from me, but most posts on a gamethread aren't going to be rational especially after a loss.

Anyway, like I said, I do think that Huby has been playing better. I think I'm more objective than positive/negative, but maybe not. My posts are probably more positive lately because I see the team playing good hockey, as we all can see. At the same time, it's a bit frustrating sometimes when we struggle to score because I think we're really close to being a really good team. Maybe that comes with our guys maturing, but, at the same time, I feel like we have a window here with Luongo in net to do something special. He's not going to be playing at an elite level forever, and I'd like to go deep into the playoffs with him in net.

Also, I don't think that Dylan Olsen sucks at hockey so maybe I'm weird. ;)

Great post. (Except that last part. My thinking is is that if I keep yelling it in the GDTs it will slowly start to catch on. Every time he's on the ice I mentally prepare myself for an opposing goal.)

Erick*

He does seem to play well with Gudbranson.

And Gudbranson is just playing exceptionally well.

This is true too. Gudbranson has played better in his career when paired with Olsen. You could say that's because Jovo sucked and that's true, but Guds has had stretches playing with other guys too, and he's struggled.

Guds has developed nicely this year. I think he's our most improved player. He looks like a legit NHL defensive dman out there. Lately, he's been consistent with the physicality and he looks really confident in his game. It sucks that he hasn't figured out how to hit the net, but baby steps I guess. Hopefully he does learn how to hit the net some day because he has a hard shot.

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Barkov line was really good tonight

Barkov: 72% Corsi
Bergenheim: 65% Corsi
Hayes: 71% Corsi

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
...Habs fan dropping by the party late just to say that you guys have one helluva team coming together...very fun to watch and Ekblad is going to be an absolute stud for the next 15 years for you guys; kid's got a phenomenal all-around game...congrats and great game; keep pushing the rest of the Atlantic cuz you're making us all better with the pressure...:thumbu:

Thanks. I have no idea what some of my fellow Panthers fans are saying thinking we didn't show up tonight. That was a great game to watch.

Erick*

Great post. (Except that last part. My thinking is is that if I keep yelling it in the GDTs it will slowly start to catch on. Every time he's on the ice I mentally prepare myself for an opposing goal.)

I know it's not indicative of everything regarding an individual player because it's mostly a team stat really, but Olsen is a -1 this year despite only having 6 points. He was also just a -3 in 44 games last year on a terrible team.

Maybe it's because I just don't expect much from him, but I really don't think he's that bad.

Then again, after watching the likes of Jovo and Kuba the past couple of years, if a defenseman is cheap and can do things like skate, I just learn to accept it. :laugh:

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
I find it weird how much you dislike Olsen.

He's a good 6th Dman, and he does not suck.

We all have someone. I understand he's a 6th D man but he gets his fair share of TOI. Whether it's untimely pinches, standing flat footed in the D zone, fumbling the puck away, or getting out worked in his own zone I just don't think he's good enough. He seems to frequently be responsible for good chances if not goals for the opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad