GDT: 12/30/14 "French Connection" - Canadiens VS Panthers

Status
Not open for further replies.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
But will Olsen still be around when the D prospects graduate?

After next season Campbell and Mitchell are gone and Olsen is a RFA. Looking forward that may be when Matheson, McCoshen are ready to jump in and you still have Petro waiting in the wings. Not to mention, whatever FA D we could end up signing as well. Should Olsen be considered heavily as part of the future?

Just a thought. I for one don't mind Olsen.

I think Campbell is as good as gone. Someone will be stupid and overpay him. I could see Mitchell playing another year with us if things keep going well. So that could be one spot open, maybe two in 2016-2017. Got to think if Olsen is playing well he's staying. Obviously a lot could change.

I don't think Matheson and McCoshen will jump in right away. They're going to play in the AHL for at least a year.

I could see Petro traded this off season. Matheson and McCoshen could be on the block as well if we're looking to get a scorer.

Good problem to have.

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
Speed Kills. When a team with speed understands and executes their system they can outplay or be competitive on B2B's. My hat is off to the Habs who made the Cats look like the team on a B2B in the 2nd period. Gallant had finally seen enough of the lack of compete and frustration when he called time out.

It's no secret Gallant wants more team speed next year. Grimaldi, Howden, and Shore (if he's not traded) will get their chance in training camp if they can adjust to the wing. The problem with those guys is they are not consistent finishers (sound familiar?). Pirri is a finisher but he doesn't have the motor.

I would think the scratched guys have to be scratching their heads as to why they are sitting after watching the play of Huberdeau. The man is so weak on the puck and is an absolute liability to Nick. I was praying they wouldn't stick him out there in OT, but there he was. Gallant just keeps sticking with him and tonight with his family in the seats he gave him a chance to be a hero or zero.

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
He's a -2 on a team that can't score. He's doing fine. And being the #6 is relevant because he shouldn't be held to the same standards as a Kulikov or a Campbell.

Don't even bother... he's set on olsen sucks no matter how good he's been... it's pointless... must not watch many other games or other teams..

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
Speed Kills. When a team with speed understands and executes their system they can outplay or be competitive on B2B's. My hat is off to the Habs who made the Cats look like the team on a B2B in the 2nd period. Gallant had finally seen enough of the lack of compete and frustration when he called time out.

It's no secret Gallant wants more team speed next year. Grimaldi, Howden, and Shore (if he's not traded) will get their chance in training camp if they can adjust to the wing. The problem with those guys is they are not consistent finishers (sound familiar?). Pirri is a finisher but he doesn't have the motor.

I would think the scratched guys have to be scratching their heads as to why they are sitting after watching the play of Huberdeau. The man is so weak on the puck and is an absolute liability to Nick. I was praying they wouldn't stick him out there in OT, but there he was. Gallant just keeps sticking with him and tonight with his family in the seats he gave him a chance to be a hero or zero.

Tries junior plays too often...his giveaway after trying to do a fancy deke at the Habs blueline led to the Canadiens goal

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Don't even bother... he's set on olsen sucks no matter how good he's been... it's pointless... must not watch many other games or other teams..

I've said 2? 3? times that I'm fine with agreeing to disagree here. Wonderful attempt at a personal attack though. I'll personally guarantee that I watch more hockey, both Panthers and neutral, than you do.

Anyway since I can't go through full games here, I'll show what I can. Start with tonight's game. Skip to the 1:33 mark to watch Dylan Olsen, standing flat footed, get walked around with ease leading to a 3 on 1 and, if not for a tremedous save, a goal.

[NHL]2014020541-X-h[/NHL]

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Tries junior plays too often...his giveaway after trying to do a fancy deke at the Habs blueline led to the Canadiens goal

And if he dumps it in u guys ***** that dump not chase doesn't work... that turnover didn't lead to the goal... there were players back and it wasn't even an odd man rush... the shot went through Luongo and shouldn't have went in... he played poorly tonight no doubt but that goal isn't on huby

batting1k

Mar 3, 2013
And if he dumps it in u guys ***** that dump not chase doesn't work... that turnover didn't lead to the goal... there were players back and it wasn't even an odd man rush... the shot went through Luongo and shouldn't have went in... he played poorly tonight no doubt but that goal isn't on huby

Who cares....he dumps it in then anything could happen. He gives the puck away and it's an automatic chance the other way. Sure Luongo should've had it, but if he dumps it in, that doesn't necessarily happen

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
I've said 2? 3? times that I'm fine with agreeing to disagree here. Wonderful attempt at a personal attack though. I'll personally guarantee that I watch more hockey, both Panthers and neutral, than you do.

Anyway since I can't go through full games here, I'll show what I can. Start with tonight's game. Skip to the 1:33 mark to watch Dylan Olsen, standing flat footed, get walked around with ease leading to a 3 on 1 and, if not for a tremedous save, a goal.

Haha laughable... d men get beat every game... that's y there is 5 players in the ice... if your gonna single out one d man's mistakes u can go through and pull them for all 6 while your at it... this might be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
Who cares....he dumps it in then anything could happen. He gives the puck away and it's an automatic chance the other way. Sure Luongo should've had it, but if he dumps it in, that doesn't necessarily happen

If he dumps it in posters ***** that he dumped it in and 3rd overall players are supposed to create offense... he will get attacked by certain posters just because no matter what just like olsen... but that turnover didn't lead directly to a goal..there is numerous harmless turnovers like that every game

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
I don't think Matheson and McCoshen will jump in right away. They're going to play in the AHL for at least a year.

I could see Petro traded this off season. Matheson and McCoshen could be on the block as well if we're looking to get a scorer.
I don't think they could ever get a solid scorer if Petro and Shore were thrown in as extras with a veteran. AHL guys just don't command that kind of juice.

Scoring will have to come from within or if we actually decide to trade value for value. The only value we have that could command a meaningful player would be Bjugstad or Ekblad, and they aren't going anywhere. Hayes is having a nice year, but he doesn't have the upside of the other two. Barkov has a long ways to go.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I don't think they could ever get a solid scorer if Petro and Shore were thrown in as extras with a veteran. AHL guys just don't command that kind of juice.

Scoring will have to come from within or if we actually decide to trade value for value. The only value we have that could command a meaningful player would be Bjugstad or Ekblad, and they aren't going anywhere. Hayes is having a nice year, but he doesn't have the upside of the other two. Barkov has a long ways to go.

There could be other pieces

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton

Sekac blew by eckbad for a breakaway... if it wasn't for a great save that's a goal too...

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
So here goes nothing, watch if you want, disagree if you want, don't watch if you don't to, all I ask is that if you choose to discuss this, do it with an open mind and don't simply resort to immature attacks. Also noting that right now I'm just going to go through goals, as I don't have the time or energy to go through full highlights to see the times that Lu has bailed him out.

First video should be the one in my most recent post.

Let's jump to the Leafs game to see Dylan Olsen unwisely or rather unsuccesfully pinch, fall down, fail to recover in time, and surrender a 3 on 1 resulting in goal number one.

[NHL]2014020527-289-h[/NHL]

From the same game. Leafs PP. Puck gets thrown towards Olsen. Olsen fumbles the puck, turning it over to an eagerly awaiting Cody Franson. In a recovery attempt, Olsen slides towards Franson, letting the puck go through his legs to a wide open JVR for another Leafs goal.

[NHL]2014020527-631-h[/NHL]

This goal was definitely not his fault. In saying that, he definitely could have done something a lot better than indecisively taking a small step toward Letang and, not taking his shot away nor his pass to Crosby. On a 2 on 1 you must take away one or the other.

[NHL]2014020485-633-ingame-h[/NHL]

This is a lot more work than I imagined so I'll leave you with these 4 clips for tonight. Am I saying that this is all he does? Of course not. He makes nice defensive plays too. But in my opinion he doesn't make enough of those to make up for the liability that he constantly seems to be. If you disagree, feel free to tell me why, it's the beauty of an opinion. I'm entitled to mine and you, yours. You may be right, I may be right. But who cares, it's subjective. Just be mature. All I ask.

Last edited:

Brokin

Nov 30, 2014
There could be other pieces
I'm OK with a swap for Shore if we get a highly rated prospect in return who has a motor and can shoot the puck. It would be a value for value trade where some team is lacking a good sized Center prospect and could afford to move a prospect who has upside as a scorer.

Shore is average in the faceoff circle but earns his bones with hustle on the boards and in front of the net. He creates havoc also with a solid forecheck and backcheck. By other pieces I think a trading partner would be really rolling the dice by giving up the finisher we need for whatever else we have to offer. After all, look at the stat sheet for the remaining members of this team and wonder where we would be without Lu.

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Haha laughable... d men get beat every game... that's y there is 5 players in the ice... if your gonna single out one d man's mistakes u can go through and pull them for all 6 while your at it... this might be one of the most ridiculous posts I've ever seen

Open mind. Seems tough for you. Very defensive in this thread.

If you read, or rather comprehended the numerous disclaimers that I've given preempting these videos, you wouldn't have had to waste your time on another failed inflamatory post. Rather you could simply see (and maybe even understand) that I don't have the time, resources, or effort to go through the numerous times that he makes bad mistakes each game. It's not one play. Once again, this is one example that is easily accessable. My problem is not getting beat once. It's getting beat numerous times each game.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
I'm OK with a swap for Shore if we get a highly rated prospect in return who has a motor and can shoot the puck. It would be a value for value trade where some team is lacking a good sized Center prospect and could afford to move a prospect who has upside as a scorer.

Shore is average in the faceoff circle but earns his bones with hustle on the boards and in front of the net. He creates havoc also with a solid forecheck and backcheck. By other pieces I think a trading partner would be really rolling the dice by giving up the finisher we need for whatever else we have to offer. After all, look at the stat sheet for the remaining members of this team and wonder where we would be without Lu.

Shore+ for Pulkkinen?

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
So here goes nothing, watch if you want, disagree if you want, don't watch if you don't to, all I ask is that if you choose to discuss this, do it with an open mind and don't simply resort to immature attacks. Also noting that right now I'm just going to go through goals, as I don't have the time or energy to go through full highlights to see the times that Lu has bailed him out.

First video should be the one in my most recent post.

Let's jump to the Leafs game to see Dylan Olsen unwisely or rather unsuccesfully pinch, fall down, fail to recover in time, and surrender a 3 on 1 resulting in goal number one.

[NHL]2014020527-289-h[/NHL]

From the same game. Leafs PP. Puck gets thrown towards Olsen. Olsen fumbles the puck, turning it over to an eagerly awaiting Cody Franson. In a recovery attempt, Olsen slides towards Franson, letting the puck go through his legs to a wide open JVR for another Leafs goal.

[NHL]2014020527-631-h[/NHL]

This goal was definitely not his fault. In saying that, he definitely could have done something a lot better than indecisively taking a small step toward Letang and, not taking his shot away nor his pass to Crosby. On a 2 on 1 you must take away one or the other.

[NHL]2014020485-633-ingame-h[/NHL]

This is a lot more work than I imagined so I'll leave you with these 4 clips for tonight. Am I saying that this is all he does? Of course not. He makes nice defensive plays too. But in my opinion he doesn't make enough of those to make up for the liability that he constantly seems to be. If you disagree, feel free to tell me why, it's the beauty of an opinion. I'm entitled to mine and you, yours. You may be right, I may be right. But who cares, it's subjective.

Ha wow man your really grasping for straws ... u pick a goal against on the PP where he blocked the ini tial pass across and make it sound like he fumbled the puck? Like I said your agenda against him is cloudingoing your judgement... how's bout the odd man rush this game cause by Mitchell pinching in ? Your videos prove nothing as u can do this for any defenseman on any team. I'm sorry u wasted your time

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Ha wow man your really grasping for straws ... u pick a goal against on the PP where he blocked the ini tial pass across and make it sound like he fumbled the puck? Like I said your agenda against him is cloudingoing your judgement... how's bout the odd man rush this game cause by Mitchell pinching in ? Your videos prove nothing as u can do this for any defenseman on any team. I'm sorry u wasted your time

I have to say I agree...

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013

The only waste of my time here is typing the same response to you 14 times this thread. Read to comprehend. Read to comprehend. Read to comprehend.

Disclaimer: I am only choosing goals as these are the most accessable clips that I can post to prove my point of him constantly pinching poorly, fumbling the puck, getting outworked, or getting caught flat footed. I understand this happens to everyone. I understand Mitchell and Ekblad and Kulikov and Weber and Suter and Orr and every other defenseman ever have the same things happen to them. I get it, I really do. It's not that it happens once or twice, it's the amount of times it happens.

As for your impressive hockey eye, the "initial pass" that he so wonderfully blocked away was not a pass. It was being thrown on net. He fumbled it and failed to recover.

Mogo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2002
It sucks we can't get over the hurdle of winning 3 games in a row

vendetta

#CatsAreComing
Mar 22, 2011
Edmonton
The only waste of my time here is typing the same response to you 14 times this thread. Read to comprehend. Read to comprehend. Read to comprehend.

Disclaimer: I am only choosing goals as these are the most accessable clips that I can post to prove my point of him constantly pinching poorly, fumbling the puck, getting outworked, or getting caught flat footed. I understand this happens to everyone. I understand Mitchell and Ekblad and Kulikov and Weber and Suter and Orr and every other defenseman ever have the same things happen to them. I get it, I really do. It's not that it happens once or twice, it's the amount of times it happens.

As for your impressive hockey eye, the "initial pass" that he so wonderfully blocked away was not a pass. It was being thrown on net. He fumbled it and failed to recover.

Since we will never agree on olsen can we agree that jugs extension ****in rules!!!!!???

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
Since we will never agree on olsen can we agree that jugs extension ****in rules!!!!!???

Things we agree on:

1) Huberdeau tonight
2) Bjugstad's extension

Things we disagree on:

1) Olsen

2 to 1. Let's just call it at that. :cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad