Prospect Info: 12-13' Prospects Thread Version XV: Rielly Wins WHL Eastern Conf. Dman of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Too bad they keep trading their picks, Jake Patterson (Saginaw) and even Murphy (SSM) were available last year but of course the Leafs had no 3rd and 4th. non playoff teams trading draft picks not exactly the way to go.

That's one thing I'll agree with. They don't draft enough. They seem to get it right with the picks they have but if only they could draft more.

This bad habit hopefully will change under Nonis, who's been pretty adamant about not trading picks and youth for short/average gains.

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Sparks stops 33/35 to out duel future Vezina winner Gibson in the 3-2 win .

Leivo , Rupert, Biggs all pointless. Biggs doesn't have a point yet.

Don't expect to see Freebird tonight

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
Biggs isn't stepping up at the important hour, and it's disappointing.

That's what "intangibles" players do.

Badger Mayhew*

Anyone else see Biggs turning into a more physical McClement who can fight? I'd kill to have a player like that on the Leafs.

Biggs isn't stepping up at the important hour, and it's disappointing.

That's what "intangibles" players do.

His job on the Generals isn't to score.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Anyone else see Biggs turning into a more physical McClement who can fight? I'd kill to have a player like that on the Leafs.

Here's what Tyler can do, took off a key player by hitting him and engaging him. Any points are bonuses with him, but some fans are always going to try and peg him by his PPG average, I would like to think our fanbase is sophisticated to know the difference.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

Stop with the "his job isn't to score" BS. H play a top 6, OFFENSIVE role, on his club. He's a 1st rounder, who is 19, and physically beyond MOST of the kids he's playing against.

At the pro level, sure, scoring won't be his role, but in Junior, w should expect more than he's giving in this playoffs. He's been a disappointment, and there's no denying it, by countless reports from those who have watched him.

I'ma fan of his, but I can also admit when he's not doing his job, and he isn't

Badger Mayhew*

Stop with the "his job isn't to score" BS. H play a top 6, OFFENSIVE role, on his club. He's a 1st rounder, who is 19, and physically beyond MOST of the kids he's playing against.

At the pro level, sure, scoring won't be his role, but in Junior, w should expect more than he's giving in this playoffs. He's been a disappointment, and there's no denying it, by countless reports from those who have watched him.

I'ma fan of his, but I can also admit when he's not doing his job, and he isn't

Top 6 role =/= Offensive role

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Here's what Tyler can do, took off a key player by hitting him and engaging him. Any points are bonuses with him, but some fans are always going to try and peg him by his PPG average, I would like to think our fanbase is sophisticated to know the difference.

If that's what he can do and points are only bonus, then we REALLY went of the board to draft him that high.

He wasn't solely drafted to hit and fight, there's expectations on him to provide offense as well.

Nothing is bonus with this kid, it's the combination of offense to go along with his physical play and skating that makes him an interesting prospect.

kilgro

Tank nation
Dec 3, 2007
Toronto
I watched the first game live and second one on tv. Unfortunately missed game 3. Of course we would all like to see Biggs putting up points but they will come. They are using him primarily in a shutdown role against strome and richie as well as number 1pk duty. Sabourin is playing in the front of the net on the #1 pp unit which Is where Biggs played a lot during the season. He gets the second half of the pp. he's playing physical and his line is shutting down Strome's for the most part. It's been a physical series and Biggs has been in the middle of a lot of it. He does seem to be fighting the puck a bit but his offense will come

Badger Mayhew*

He plays in an offensive role. Believe what you want, if it makes you feel better.

2nd units in junior hockey, are offensive lines, and that's where he plays.

I don't even understand what the point you're trying to make is. Are you saying Biggs won't be a more physical McClement who can fight? Or are you basing your disappointment off of the laughable idea that he'll be the next Lucic?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He plays in an offensive role. Believe what you want, if it makes you feel better.

2nd units in junior hockey, are offensive lines, and that's where he plays.

I agree with you here Ernie. If he's ever going to be a top 6 player in the NHL, he absolutely needs to prove he can score at the junior level.

Sure, he's 19 and anything can happen, but he's behind in his development.

He may go on to be a useful player for us in a bottom 6 capacity, but you can get those guys for nothing but cap space every summer. See: Jay McClement. There's better ways to spend a top 25 pick.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I don't even understand what the point you're trying to make is. Are you saying Biggs won't be a more physical McClement who can fight? Or are you basing your disappointment off of the laughable idea that he'll be the next Lucic?

I never once believed he wa the next Lucic, nor did I ever bring up McClemment. So where that comes from, I don't know.

I'm saying that when you move two picks to move up 8 spots to grab a guy in the early 20's, you expect more than hitting and fighting. This is the 1st round, not the 2/3/4.

We moved picks to get Biggs, and we SHOULD expect more. I believe he should've stayed at Miami, but that's just me. Having more time to develop his scoring, while continuing to play his rough and tumble style was better IMO, but hey, what's done is done.

tpc77

Feb 25, 2010
Halifax
I never once believed he wa the next Lucic, nor did I ever bring up McClemment. So where that comes from, I don't know.

I'm saying that when you move two picks to move up 8 spots to grab a guy in the early 20's, you expect more than hitting and fighting. This is the 1st round, not the 2/3/4.

We moved picks to get Biggs, and we SHOULD expect more. I believe he should've stayed at Miami, but that's just me. Having more time to develop his scoring, while continuing to play his rough and tumble style was better IMO, but hey, what's done is done.

You realize that it's easier to put up big numbers in the OHL vs. the NCAA right?

You also should realize that not putting up big numbers for 3 playoff games as a 19 year old won't ultimately decide his offensive potential for the rest of his career.

While we are at it, there's not need to have 12 forwards on an NHL team with skill and who can maybe score 50-60 points someday. Year after year after year we see that teams with some of the best 3rd/4th "grind" type lines who can also chip in offensively win the cup.

Sorry to attack your post, but this ongoing whining about not having another "maybe" 60 point prospect is ridiculous.

I hope one day Biggs is one the best 3rd liners in the league and that might only mean 35 points a year. But if he is one of the best 35-40 point 3rd liners in the league then we have an edge on other teams in that department and it leads to winning championships.

Let's rely on Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul and whoever else ends up a main stay in our top 6 for the next 5-7 years if we want them to be the potential PPG players. It's time to fill the holes around them with a blend of grit and scoring. Biggs has the potential to be one of the best in that department one day...and that's why they took him in the 1st round.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
You realize that it's easier to put up big numbers in the OHL vs. the NCAA right?

You also should realize that not putting up big numbers for 3 playoff games as a 19 year old won't ultimately decide his offensive potential for the rest of his career.

While we are at it, there's not need to have 12 forwards on an NHL team with skill and who can maybe score 50-60 points someday. Year after year after year we see that teams with some of the best 3rd/4th "grind" type lines who can also chip in offensively win the cup.

Sorry to attack your post, but this ongoing whining about not having another "maybe" 60 point prospect is ridiculous.

I hope one day Biggs is one the best 3rd liners in the league and that might only mean 35 points a year. But if he is one of the best 35-40 point 3rd liners in the league then we have an edge on other teams in that department and it leads to winning championships.

Let's rely on Kessel, JVR, Kadri, Lupul and whoever else ends up a main stay in our top 6 for the next 5-7 years if we want them to be the potential PPG players. It's time to fill the holes around them with a blend of grit and scoring. Biggs has the potential to be one of the best in that department one day...and that's why they took him in the 1st round.

Fantastic post, expecially the bolded, it's always a misconception, and a extreme fallacy that you only win with talent.

Reality is you need a diverse roster of grinders, plumbers, skilled guys, fighters, leaders, followers, to win Championships.

Thanks for this post, you reminded some it isn't as simple as drafting just the most talented player when your turn comes, this does guarantee a championship.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
People bashing the hell out of Biggs, probably the same people saying kadri is a bust.

These guys have no patience. Biggs will be a good player and a piece that all 30 teams in the NHL will want. There aren't many players that bring the skillset he does.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
What most of you aren't seeing, or choosing to ignore is that while Biggs isn't putting up points (in the playoffs), he is creating space for other players (namely; Jenner, Dal Colle, Sabourin, etc.) He is the type of player that you need to win in the playoffs as he uses his body extremely well. Dal Colle doesn't get the chances he is getting without a big physical dominant force like Biggs making way for him IMO.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If that's what he can do and points are only bonus, then we REALLY went of the board to draft him that high.

He wasn't solely drafted to hit and fight, there's expectations on him to provide offense as well.

Nothing is bonus with this kid, it's the combination of offense to go along with his physical play and skating that makes him an interesting prospect.

I don't believe Biggs will be a Colton Orr if this is what you mean.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
People bashing the hell out of Biggs, probably the same people saying kadri is a bust.

These guys have no patience. Biggs will be a good player and a piece that all 30 teams in the NHL will want. There aren't many players that bring the skillset he does.

Yep, it's only been 3 playoff games, the guy had a good developmental year. Nothing to worry about, he's going to terrorize our division for years to come, let's be happy.

Last edited:

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
I don't believe Biggs will be a Colton Orr if this is what you mean.

No, that's not what I mean.

Im saying that Biggs should also be relied on to contribute offensively to go along with his physical play and not be seen as a physical player where points are bonus.

leafers

Oct 2, 2006
Yep, it's only been 3 playoff games, the guy had a good developmental year. Nothing to worry about, he's going to terrorize our division for years to come, let's be happy.

This, I agree with.

This kid will be a culture changer for our team once he is here. He will set the tone for games and be a punishing force.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
I'm not trying to project him as a 60pt player in the pros... Where do you come up with that?

I'm saying for someone as physically dominant, and ahead of most of his peers based on draft position, we SHOULD be expecting more than just physical play.

Very simple.

And for the record, despite saying it 100 times, I've been on the Kadri train since his Memorial Cup run with the Rangers.

And yes, I do tealize it's easier to put up points in the OHL, what the hell does that have to do with anything? I thought he should stay in the NCAA for development purposes, playing against older, bigger guys, and refining his game there for longer, than a probable 1-off in Oshawa.

Does that clear it up? I'm not attacking the kid, simply stating my opinion, as echoed by a few Generals fans I know in Oshawa.

A I've said before, I believe he has a bright future as a 3rd liner, but I expect more from a kid who was taken in the first, and should be well above the 16/17/18 year olds that he's playing against.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad