Prospect Info: 12-13' Prospects Thread Version XV: Rielly Wins WHL Eastern Conf. Dman of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
I'll agree with you that it was a stupid move, but I don't know why you feel the need to rehash it and call our prospects busts.

Seems borderline trolling.

Thats what over 40 years of abuse do to a person, you get old and bitter. Lets be honest here our scouting staff has got to do better, it's one thing to get a guy at 5 and 7 that can play and keep on missing on people from 15 and 60, you have to get players from that group as well going forward.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The true Reality of it is every NHL team has prospects that go bust, even the Red Wings, though I say that tongue in cheek since most view them as the best even though they haven't done anything close draftwise since Datsyuk or Zetterburg. Still dining out on that one.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
You should regale us with the story of how the Leafs traded the 3rd overall pick in the 1991 draft used to pick Scott Neidermayer for Tom Kurvers next.

Or how about how we could have picked Giroux instead of Tlusty in 2006?

There are an infinite number of ways drafts could have gone better for the Leafs in the past. It does us no good to create fantasy worlds in which the Leafs made different decisions. Biggs and Percy are both quality prospects and I still have high hopes for both of them.

And then you watch Scott Laughton and you see the real deal. Flyers get it right more times than not, we all know they will be back next year, what a shame if they picked at the front of the draft and we pick in the middle.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
The true Reality of it is every NHL team has prospects that go bust, even the Red Wings, though I say that tongue in cheek since most view them as the best even though they haven't done anything close draftwise since Datsyuk or Zetterburg. Still dining out on that one.

Know what you mean Sproul or Quellet vs Percy.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Know what you mean Sproul or Quellet vs Percy.

Dude, it's Ouellet. Putting a Q instead of the O doesn't even remotely come close to sounding like his name. Goes to show how much you know.

Right now, Ouellet is definitely a keeper. Plays a sound 2-way game.

Sproul and Percy is still a wash to me. Sproul is a great offensive defeseman, but Percy is a great defensive defenseman with leadership qualities.

We'll have to wait on that one.

What about Garret Sparks VS Christopher Gibson or Samu Perhonen?

Steven Fogarty or Joshua Leivo?

Leafs never get it right. Sniff sniff.

Last edited:

KlattNazty

Feb 3, 2011
Thats what over 40 years of abuse do to a person, you get old and bitter. Lets be honest here our scouting staff has got to do better, it's one thing to get a guy at 5 and 7 that can play and keep on missing on people from 15 and 60, you have to get players from that group as well going forward.

Ill give you this, but you need to be more patient on kids that have been picked in recent years. How can you crucify them when we havent even seen half of these kids perform in the pros, let alone the NHL?

Leafs have obviously changed philosophy in recent years, and are bringing guys along slowly. Maybe you should try changing your tune and being more patient. You already waited 40+ years apparently, the hell is a couple more to figure out if some guys are any good going to do to you?

I mean, you cant be that old fashioned. You figured out how computers work! Geezer :sarcasm:

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
What does Kadri have to do with this disscussion, they tried to ruin him by playing him on the wing with the Marlies for two years. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut once and a while.

playing him on the wing was ruining him? Really? Playing him in net would be ruining him

NoTouchIcing

Feb 3, 2010
Guelph, ON
Generally those guys from 15 to 60 take a lot more time, as can be expected. You have to look at the fruits of Brian Burke's labour, and it's only starting to ripen. The scouting staff has been fine.

GoodNewfieBoy

We got a guy
Oct 17, 2007
Calgary
You should regale us with the story of how the Leafs traded the 3rd overall pick in the 1991 draft used to pick Scott Neidermayer for Tom Kurvers next.

Or how about how we could have picked Giroux instead of Tlusty in 2006?

There are an infinite number of ways drafts could have gone better for the Leafs in the past. It does us no good to create fantasy worlds in which the Leafs made different decisions. Biggs and Percy are both quality prospects and I still have high hopes for both of them.

Haha I literally lol. Love the use of the word regale hahaha

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
FreeBird can be negative all he wants, I just want to see him admit something positive when it happens. He seems to hide when something is going well. Or turn it around and spin it negatively.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Someone should fire the Kings scouts for drafting Brayden Schenn over Nazem Kadri, you know, because right now it's pretty lopsided.

Every team has passed on players they probably later regretted. Leafs are no exception. Leafs have found their own gems in later rounds when I'm sure teams were kicking themselves for passing on.

Ironically, as much as picking Biggs or Percy over a couple other prospects seems bad now (even though it's way to early to even say), a lot of teams are probably kicking themselves for not picking Josh Leivo, a 3rd round pick in 2011 as well. He's quite the prospect.

Sorry, but i gotta ask "gems"?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You're making a very foolish assumption here. Was Dougie Hamilton was drafted by the Toronto Maple Leafs?

Oh wait, you just come here to complain. Carry on, you petulant troll.

Gotta love it when the Blues let this kinda stuff slide.

Possible bias toward only backing the rites of positive posters?

Your colours are showing boys.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
*clicks link from above post*

*reads the draft was two years ago*

*lolz heartily*

I don't even like Biggs, but you're being Pejorative Slured.

Boy o boy the Blues need to step up their game around here.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Dude, it's Ouellet. Putting a Q instead of the O doesn't even remotely come close to sounding like his name. Goes to show how much you know.

Sproul and Percy is still a wash to me. Sproul is a great offensive defeseman, but Percy is a great defensive defenseman with leadership qualities.

NOW NOW, one should not act like that and then spell DefenCeman in that manner.

Speeling, Gramma and punktwonations have no direct connection to Hockey IQ, just ask Jacques Demers, heck it don't even prevent you from becoming a senator.

Last edited:

Dec 6, 2011
Gotta love it when the Blues let this kinda stuff slide.

Possible bias toward only backing the rites of positive posters?

Your colours are showing boys.

This is as clearly against the site rules as anything I did (which, admittedly, may have been a bit extreme).

And anyone who reads my posts knows I'm anything but positive, but at least I usually try to be productive. Some posters here don't even do that. The opposite of fairweather fans, which must be so sad.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
This is as clearly against the site rules as anything I did (which, admittedly, may have been a bit extreme).

And anyone who reads my posts knows I'm anything but positive, but at least I usually try to be productive. Some posters here don't even do that. The opposite of fairweather fans, which must be so sad.

You fail to realize that the knife cuts both ways , mate.

Freedom of speech and point of view, what a wonderful country we live in .:)

You do realize, people that are overly positive can be viewed just as disgusting as the others.

Dec 6, 2011
You fail to realize that the knife cuts both ways , mate.

Freedom of speech and point of view, what a wonderful country we live in .:)

You do realize, people that are overly positive can be viewed just as disgusting as the others.

I'm sorry, how am I failing to realize that?

I expressed an opinion which you yourself called to be moderated (then mentioning some moderator bias despite the fact that your post is as deserving as mine of moderation), now you're going on about freedom of speech. Do you see the incongruity here?

What the **** are you even talking about?

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
I'm sorry, how am I failing to realize that?

I expressed an opinion which you yourself called to be moderated (then mentioning some moderator bias despite the fact that your post is as deserving as mine of moderation), now you're going on about freedom of speech. Do you see the incongruity here?

What the **** are you even talking about?

Hanging out with his best buddy Jack D early today.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sorry, but i gotta ask "gems"?

Depending on your definition of "gems", I guess it could be an exaggeration or an understatement.

Gunnarsson? Reimer? Kulemin? Frattin?

These four players are not superstars but they are having an impact on the Leafs, or at least showed good potential. There's plenty of other prospects that have showed a lot more than the prospects picked before them. Why completely over look those guys and pick on the ones that haven't? Oh right, I forgot.

Mr. Bird here is attempting to show the Leafs never find anything good compared to other teams. My point is that he's completely wrong.

Last edited:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
NOW NOW, one should not act like that and then spell DefenCeman in that manner.

Speeling, Gramma and punktwonations have no direct connection to Hockey IQ, just ask Jacques Demers, heck it don't even prevent you from becoming a senator.

I do apologize as my first language is French (yes, yes it is.). Defenseman and defenceman sound the same to me, and I'm sure it does for you too. I don't think there's a proper way to write "defenseman" or "defenceman". I've seen it written both ways and both appear correct. Here's an example:
"The Dallas Stars traded left winger and team captain Brenden Morrow to the Pittsburgh Penguins on Sunday, along with a third round pick, in exchange for defenseman Joe Morrow and a fifth rounder."

So you could see how a Frenchie could get confused as to the proper way of writing such a precious word.

Ouellet and Quellet are nowhere near each other. You could say Ouelette, Ouelet, Ouellette, Ouelaite, Oulet is even a little close. Quellet? What? Not. Even. Close. I let it go the first time, if you would have noticed.

When you speak so highly of a player or something in general, not knowing how to even be close to the pronunciation is not a good sign that you know much about it.

Last edited:

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005

Too bad they keep trading their picks, Jake Patterson (Saginaw) and even Murphy (SSM) were available last year but of course the Leafs had no 3rd and 4th. non playoff teams trading draft picks not exactly the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad