#11 wins it!

rwb

Jan 28, 2013
What a nice way to make up for that last game between these two teams. In Toronto no less. Wish I could have gone.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
The Leafs are a dumb, dumb hockey team and it showed tonight. Good Habs and **** the Leafs!

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
How do you find Ryder in his first game ?

Classic Ryder, kind of invisible when not scoring, but will throw some hits and do okay forechecking.

He seems bigger than in my memory though, maybe a little more physical/feisty/involved he has learn something with the Bruins.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
referring to white again?

look, there's nothing wrong when you point out that a player has cost us a game (or two in some cases) when a player does quite literally cost you a game. white has cost us 3 (or 4) points so far. nothing wrong pointing it out; doesn't mean we hate him. in fact, he's been beastly since coming back from his second benching.

generally though, i agree, but sometimes it is somebody's fault. like therrien putting gionta and plekanec on the shootout

therrien :shakehead

Yeah, White in a game where we had the one goal lead and Ott pushed Price into the net while White was on the bench.

Gionta against the Sens in the last game we lost in OT. Would have been Emelin tonight if we had not kicked ass in the 3rd Period. The knives were already being sharpened.

It gets old seeing one individual forward or DMan singled out as "costing us a game" when its a team game.

bigtimehockeyfan999*

Armstrong loves it.

nbwzr4.gif

hahah awesome

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton
Similar foundation (puck possession, aggressive forecheck, defense-first, cries of "boring" by the teams we are beating), but nowhere near the ridiculous possession levels the Blues have.

Its a good point though, they are playing on the same general concept, which is absolute supression of they other team getting any significant amount of time in the offensive zone, achieved by not star power but depth of quality two-way players.

Its what they Habs could have had last season if they had 3 things go their way. A second pairing, Gauthier not panicing and going insane on reactionary moves and getting better puck luck.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
Yeah, White in a game where we had the one goal lead and Ott pushed Price into the net while White was on the bench.

Gionta against the Sens in the last game we lost in OT. Would have been Emelin tonight if we had not kicked ass in the 3rd Period. The knives were already being sharpened.

It gets old seeing one individual forward or DMan singled out as "costing us a game" when its a team game.

white was the one that took the double minor, letting the sabres come back, hence, cost us the game. gionta has sucked badly, but he hasn't cost us anything so far. and emelin was fine. he's always fine. not great, not terribad, just... fine...

i find it weird that you, who are not usually shy about dispensing some literary justice on scapegoats when we lose, defend your boy white 'til the bitter end.

he cost us a game (or two, can't remember), it's ok, you can admit it ;)

Forsead

Apr 7, 2009
Québec City
Its a good point though, they are playing on the same general concept, which is absolute supression of they other team getting any significant amount of time in the offensive zone, achieved by not star power but depth of quality two-way players.

Its what they Habs could have had last season if they had 3 things go their way. A second pairing, Gauthier not panicing and going insane on reactionary moves and getting better puck luck.

They are much bigger, more physical and younger though.

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native

A coaching change would be required though. The "Trap" is not what we are playing now.

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
A coaching change would be required though. The "Trap" is not what we are playing now.

We still play a trap a lot (if you define trap as a 1-2-2) but it's no longer incredibly passive, it's much more aggressive.

And the aggressiveness kicks up to another level when we have the puck, or when we're trying to get it back in our zone.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
white was the one that took the double minor, letting the sabres come back, hence, cost us the game. gionta has sucked badly, but he hasn't cost us anything so far. and emelin was fine. he's always fine. not great, not terribad, just... fine...

i find it weird that you, who are not usually shy about dispensing some literary justice on scapegoats when we lose, defend your boy white 'til the bitter end.

he cost us a game (or two, can't remember), it's ok, you can admit it ;)

Never.:D

Jigger77

Dec 21, 2007
Montreal
Couple things stood out for me tonight. First the Habs clearly went in there with a gameplan and stuck with it. Played their game, dictated the pace, didn't fall into traps Phaneuf, Orr, Brown were laying. Second the execution with the puck tonight to me was really impressive. They moved the puck really well, passes were crisp, quick, tape to tape, feet moving, just really impressive to watch. Kudos to PK on the PP I thought he had one of his better games in that regard. Didn't hold on to the puck too long like he sometimes tends to do. Third, Pacioretty really stood out to me tonight. Not only because of his two goals but his speed, his strength on the puck, his tenacity. He looked like a beast out there.

I am loving watching this team right now. Really fun to watch.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I just get the sense like it's all going to fall apart for them... again.

They are better than last season but I do not believe they can sustain it. Average goalie, average defense and too many what ifs on offense. They're close but I see New York and Philly getting their act together enough to leap frog them.

Talks to Goalposts

Apr 8, 2011
Edmonton

Not how they are playing, but the Martin era group had similar levels of puck control. A lot of that is simply team talent as opposed to system. Martin's style didn't take off until Subban and Pacioretty, who are puck control monsters, joined the fold.

Ironically, it was actually of a much higher event nature than Therrien's team. Habs play more aggressively now, but the net result is actually less goals for either side compared to under Martin. That actually shouldn't be so suppressing, Martin favoured using the trap as a counter-attack strategy to produce offensive rushes, which is how those trapping Otttawa and New Jersey teams were strong in scoring despite playing "boring, trap hockey."

SirClintonPortis

ProudCapitalsTraitor
Mar 9, 2011
Maryland native
Not how they are playing, but the Martin era group had similar levels of puck control.

Ironically, it was actually of a much higher event nature than Therrien's team. Habs play more aggressively now, but the net result is actually less goals for either side compared to under Martin. That actually shouldn't be so suppressing, Martin favoured using the trap as a counter-attack strategy to produce offensive rushes, which is how those trapping Otttawa and New Jersey teams were strong in scoring despite playing "boring, trap hockey."

Actual puck possession by this incarnation of the Habs is of better quality than under Martin, and the passing of this team is way better than I've seen for any prolonged stretch during the Martin era.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad