GDT: 11-4-14! PANTHERS@Bruins, TD Garden 7PM EST!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Gallant needs to move the lines around more. I was against it before but I'd move Bjugstad to the wing. Put him on the wing with Trocheck and Grimaldi. Move Hubs up to play with Barkov and see if they can get it going. I wouldn't break up Flash, Pirri, and Jokinen at this point but if Bolland comes back I'd slide Pirri up to Barkov's wing.

Hubs - Barkov - Pirri
Bjugstad - Trocheck - Grimaldi
Jokinen - Bolland - Flash
Kopecky - MacKenzie - Upshall/Bergie/Thornton

Thoughts? I guess we can't have all these guys up on the roster.
Grimaldi & Trocheck are going back to the minors when/if everyone is healthy.

Erick*

I think another year of development for those guys is big. They (especially Grimaldi since Trocheck was here last year) haven't really played a complete game this season, as they've had really sheltered minutes and have hardly had to defend at all. Every shift is in the offensive zone against one of the other teams' weaker lines. Give them another year to learn the ins and outs of the pro game and they'll come back next year and tear it up.

From a business standpoint, is it wise to waste another year away for another year of waiting for these guys to potentially develop? I think it's a better idea to try and become a great team this year and worry about next year when next year comes. Why not? This franchise desperately needs wins.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
From a business standpoint, is it wise to waste another year away for another year of waiting for these guys to potentially develop? I think it's a better idea to try and become a great team this year and worry about next year when next year comes. Why not? This franchise desperately needs wins.

What would we do with the soon to be UFA's? Doubt anyone wants those guys unless we take another meh contract back.

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
Our defense has been good.
We're probably only thinking this way because we're scoring less than two goals per game.

Sure but we don't have that depth right now to bring up yet another unproven kid to the lineup. Maybe next year.. maybe.

All I'm saying there is time to find out of different line combos etc. and try to find some scoring since the team is playing well. They've been left without points in only two games this season, that's a huge improvement. I really disagree that we "desperately" need a scorer.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
Unfortunately
As good as they have been in the offensive zone, their defensive play leaves a lot to work on.

And it's not really convenient if your 4th line can only do favourable starts and sheltered minutes.

Haj

#CatsAreComing
Apr 6, 2003
Arlington, VA
The point production from Bjugstad isn't there yet, but he is playing well. Bjugstads' CORSI (iCorsi/60=15.96) suggests that he is a possession beast, which is a quality we have lacked in forever.

Barkov is playing the toughest minutes on the team. He is being used against the other team's best players and taking many defensive zone starts. Right now, his success should be measured by if he is changing possession from the defensive zone to the offensive zone / If he is limiting opportunities for the other team's top line.

Yes, its apparent that the Panthers don't have a flashy rookie that is going to create you tube highlights, but this team has needed centers like Barkov and Bjugstad since its inception. They are young. The goals and assists will come. Florida is last in PDO at 96%, that should change over the course of the season.

jrockett1096

Aug 2, 2005
Miami
www.miamiestatebuyers.com
Gallant needs to move the lines around more. I was against it before but I'd move Bjugstad to the wing. Put him on the wing with Trocheck and Grimaldi. Move Hubs up to play with Barkov and see if they can get it going. I wouldn't break up Flash, Pirri, and Jokinen at this point but if Bolland comes back I'd slide Pirri up to Barkov's wing.

Hubs - Barkov - Pirri

Grimaldi and Trocheck are only here because of all the injuries. They won't be here once Barkov, Huby, Pirri and Bolland get back. By the way in your line up you ousted Brad Boyes from the team which I thought was pretty funny.

As I said before a few times, I think its crazy to make Pirri a winger and ask him to play the board game and forecheck dump and chase game when he plays offensively so well in the middle of the ice. Barkov and Bjugstad can't hold a candle to Pirris anticipation and timing in the O zone and how he finds that little bit of space in the middle of the ice to let go to that lethal wrist shot. Pirris a offensive center and he should stay there.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Franchise players usually make mediocre veterans better, not the other way around.

unless your name is Crosby, ovechkin, or Malkin you shouldn't be asked to shoulder the load while still on your ELC

Erick*

unless your name is Crosby, ovechkin, or Malkin you shouldn't be asked to shoulder the load while still on your ELC

Fair enough, but those aren't the only three guys who have done it.

All I'm saying is that if this is going to turn around, it's going to be because the young guys got better, not because our second-tier free agents made them better.

And if the young guys aren't ready to become primary scorers yet then we need to give up some assets to acquire one.

We need to make the playoffs this year. Period.

Erick*

As good as they have been in the offensive zone, their defensive play leaves a lot to work on.

And it's not really convenient if your 4th line can only do favourable starts and sheltered minutes.

I don't think that they've looked like defensive liabilities out there. Then again, it's tough to tell because they're usually possessing the puck. Sometimes, good defense is good offense. Unfortunately, they haven't been able to finish but there's no doubt in my mind that we're better right now with them on the roster. A lot of our veteran forwards are dead weight at this point in their careers.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014

Hubs - Barkov - Pirri

no boyes? overall i like it (any line-up including trocheck & grimaldi is a good line-up imo) even tho there would be some lack of speed & grit on the barkov line. they will not win many battles along the boards and in the corners i'm afraid, even tho hubey has picked up his intensity a bit.
the roster is quite a puzzle with a few missing pieces, some pieces that just don't fit and some duplicates. :/
i also think trocheck & grimaldi will be sent down as soon as we get players back from surgery unfortunately.
however, i would like to see howden on the first. he was pretty good in during pre season right?

howden - barkov - pirri

mabye not this season but the next one..

FlaPanthers11

Cats Are Coming?
Aug 30, 2013
If you think players like Dave Bolland are "irreplaceable," we have different opinions on the sport of hockey. It's really that simple.

I guess all of our forwards are "irreplaceable." :shakehead

Are you intentionally missing the point, or?

Here is what you said that started this discussion.

His career high in points is 47. It's the only time in his career he had over 40 points. He is a 3rd line forward getting paid scoring line money when we already had a more skilled player in the system.

We do not have a player in our system that can give us what Dave Bolland can give us. Dave Bolland is not here for skill. It does not matter if Trocheck is a more skilled player, he can't do what Bolland can for us. You're acting as if someone from our system can come up and replace Bolland which is wrong. Therefore, repeating my point again, in our system (as you said), Dave Bolland is not replaceable. Simple.

spacemanatee

May 18, 2014
Grimaldi and Trocheck are only here because of all the injuries. They won't be here once Barkov, Huby, Pirri and Bolland get back. By the way in your line up you ousted Brad Boyes from the team which I thought was pretty funny.

As I said before a few times, I think its crazy to make Pirri a winger and ask him to play the board game and forecheck dump and chase game when he plays offensively so well in the middle of the ice. Barkov and Bjugstad can't hold a candle to Pirris anticipation and timing in the O zone and how he finds that little bit of space in the middle of the ice to let go to that lethal wrist shot. Pirris a offensive center and he should stay there.

just read this. this makes alot of sense. some valid points right there :)

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008

LOL, I knew I forgot someone. That's what happens when you make lines during a meeting.

Disagree about Pirri. Our centers all play against the boards. The idea would be to get him on the wing of someone who can set him up for more chances. Bergie gets a lot and doesn't have the finishing ability that Pirri does.

Gizmo Tkachuk

Registered Loser
Sep 23, 2009
Florida
I don't know what the market is to acquire a legit scorer. Whatever it is, I would trade that. For one, our 1st round draft pick next year can go as part of the deal. I really don't care that the draft is going to be here, and most people down here don't care either. What people care about is winning, and it's time to do whatever it takes to win. The time is (should be) now.

I agree with this. Our 1st should be available.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
In regards to moving Bjugstad to the wing in favor of keeping Pirri at center, I'd be open to trying it for a few games. But I don't think Bjugstad has had a legitimate opportunity to show what he can do this year, and this team has been built to be big down the middle. I want Pirri to start at wing on that line, and if it doesn't go well, try Bjugstad on the wing. Upshall needs to be moved from that line in favor of a better player, a player who can actually handle the puck and shoot it. Just a bit of confidence would go a long way for Huberdeau and Bjugstad who can't seem to catch a break right now.

Erick*

Are you intentionally missing the point, or?

Here is what you said that started this discussion.

We do not have a player in our system that can give us what Dave Bolland can give us. Dave Bolland is not here for skill. It does not matter if Trocheck is a more skilled player, he can't do what Bolland can for us. You're acting as if someone from our system can come up and replace Bolland which is wrong. Therefore, repeating my point again, in our system (as you said), Dave Bolland is not replaceable. Simple.

And my point is that he is. You're overrating Dave Bolland's defensive ability. This was proven countless times in the offseason on this board with numbers. It's been proven countless times by the majority of Toronto's fanbase who told us that he was crap. He is not the same player he was in Chicago. Money aside (and there's no debating that it's a ridiculous contract), it's questionable that it was worth it just to acquire the player.

It's also not surprising that we're getting absolutely nothing out of him now due to injury. He is, after all, an injury prone player. There was no need to acquire Bolland this offseason.

The greatness of the Blackhawks core players made Dave Bolland's legacy what it is. Take away his Cups and he's just another 3rd line center.

At this point in their respective careers, Bolland isn't much more valuable than Trocheck, if at all. This isn't hindsight either; I said this very same thing the day the signing was made. I also wasn't the only one who thought this.

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
Fair enough, but those aren't the only three guys who have done it.

All I'm saying is that if this is going to turn around, it's going to be because the young guys got better, not because our second-tier free agents made them better.

And if the young guys aren't ready to become primary scorers yet then we need to give up some assets to acquire one.

We need to make the playoffs this year. Period.

I bolded the key statement. You have to go get a big time player to take the pressure off the young guys and let them grow.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
And my point is that he is. You're overrating Dave Bolland's defensive ability. This was proven countless times in the offseason on this board with numbers. It's been proven countless times by the majority of Toronto's fanbase who told us that he was crap. He is not the same player he was in Chicago. Money aside (and there's no debating that it's a ridiculous contract), it's questionable that it was worth it just to acquire the player.

It's also not surprising that we're getting absolutely nothing out of him now due to injury. He is, after all, an injury prone player. There was no need to acquire Bolland this offseason.

The greatness of the Blackhawks core players made Dave Bolland's legacy what it is. Take away his Cups and he's just another 3rd line center.

No, this is false. Bolland, when healthy, may be the best 3rd line center in the league. He had a huge role in both of the Blackhawks' victories, and singlehandedly took Vancouver's top line and San Jose's top line out of both series in 2010. He's exactly what a team needs in the playoffs. He's gritty, he's annoying, and he's great defensively, and he can contribute on offense as well. Yes, he was overpaid in both length and amount. But complaining about that contract and wishing there was something to do about it doesn't do anything and is pretty pointless. You're severely underrating Bolland.

iam76

Sep 30, 2011
Connecticut
jack edwards called Bjugstad Scott the whole night... and still said kuleekov the whole game... But at least this time he was giving us some love too.. only most likely because shawn thornton is a panther.

Erick*

No, this is false. Bolland, when healthy, may be the best 3rd line center in the league. He had a huge role in both of the Blackhawks' victories, and singlehandedly took Vancouver's top line and San Jose's top line out of both series in 2010. He's exactly what a team needs in the playoffs. He's gritty, he's annoying, and he's great defensively, and he can contribute on offense as well. Yes, he was overpaid in both length and amount. But complaining about that contract and wishing there was something to do about it doesn't do anything and is pretty pointless. You're severely underrating Bolland.

"in 2010."

It's going to be 2015 in a couple of months. He's not the same player anymore. You don't pay a player money that he wasn't even worth in 2010 five years later when he's nowhere near the same guy anymore. Just ask any Toronto fan. They have a thread on their main board right now comparing Dave Bolland to the great Mike Santorelli. That's how "irreplaceable" Dave Bolland is at this point in his career.

IM Clutcm

Jun 20, 2014
Miami, FL
"in 2010."

It's going to be 2015 in a couple of months. He's not the same player anymore. You don't pay a player money that he wasn't even worth in 2010 five years later when he's nowhere near the same guy anymore. Just ask any Toronto fan. They have a thread on their main board right now comparing Dave Bolland to the great Mike Santorelli. That's how "irreplaceable" Dave Bolland is at this point in his career.

Toronto fans can't stand Bolland because he left their team on bad terms, and they didn't exactly get to see him play all that much last year. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt right now. He's only played 4 games to this point and you've already written him off. He'll never live up to that contract, but the reality is that lots of players never live up to their contracts. I'm not expecting him to put up top line numbers. I'm expecting him to be the player that he is, a checking line center that brings grit, leadership, and a bit of skill. Again, he's the type of player that really shines in the playoffs, and I hope we get to see it this year.

BravePackCats27

Jun 19, 2014
In regards to moving Bjugstad to the wing in favor of keeping Pirri at center, I'd be open to trying it for a few games. But I don't think Bjugstad has had a legitimate opportunity to show what he can do this year, and this team has been built to be big down the middle. I want Pirri to start at wing on that line, and if it doesn't go well, try Bjugstad on the wing. Upshall needs to be moved from that line in favor of a better player, a player who can actually handle the puck and shoot it. Just a bit of confidence would go a long way for Huberdeau and Bjugstad who can't seem to catch a break right now.

THIS. And I've said this for some time to get Upshall out and Pirri in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad