Post-Game Talk: 11/23/19 | #21 RANGERS @ habs

3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

usekakkorightquinn

Oct 18, 2019
I love Lemieux for what he is but this is just dumb.

No. It's not. Kreider is a pansy for his size. He rarely ever sticks up for one of this teammates. He doesn't play that hard half the time. I give Kreider credit for standing in front of the net but it can't be disputed with his talent, he has underachieved for his career. This year is a perfect example. Kreider plays on the first PP unit and 4 more minutes a game than Lemieux. He has 1 more PP point, 1 less SH goal, 3 more total points and 7 more shots. I've been a harsh critic of Buchnevich but he has 18 points and is a +9 on a very young team this year. He has finally stepped up. Glad to admit I was wrong on him. As much as I'm not a fan of Quinn, he got through to him. Chytil as well. Have to give him credit where he deserves it. I think the teams defensive system stinks but I still hold hope out that he can figure it out. I've stood up for Kreider forever but watching Lemieux and Chytil play the past 7 or 8 games, it reminds me that Kreider is expendable in the right deal. You certainly have to use Stepan as a comparison to Kreider. He was lazy like Kreider is in half his games. Got a big contract and became useless.

Kreider had all the skills to go out and play like a Brady Tkachuk. Instead, he went out and played like a Kevin Hayes most of the time. You almost never see Kreider lay somebody out with a big hit.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
On a night where there was an awesome yet somewhat unexpected victory in REGULATION once again.......
I thought Trouba and Skeji were horrific, contributing towards that 4 goal deficit. Kaapo had a very quiet night, and seemed the Habs were all over him every chance they got. But, Lemieux was a BEAST!
Chytil continues to impress, even if he wasn't on the scoreboard, in which he was.
Georgy had a very solid 3rd and made some outstanding saves in which had he not, we couldn't have come back the way we did.

Funny, I thought this would have happened vs Ottawa, not so much vs Habs in a much more vicious atmosphere.

Reactions: leetch99

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I was very vocal about hoping we don’t sign him.

He’s the best forward we’ve had since Jagr in 05+06.

Crow tastes... Amazing.

Neither Gaborik nor Nash were this significant offensively imo.
I was not as vocal, but nevertheless was with you Kupo. Reason being I KNEW that getting him would pretty much guarantee we wouldn't be getting say......a top 5 pick. Not to mention his salary. But man......as long as he is injury free, he is worth every dollar in entertainment for me and fellow diehards.
Tasting that small portion of crow.......is not as bad as I thought it would be. Pretty tasty!

Reactions: Kupo

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I don’t know that Quinn really has anything to do with the comeback. The team relies on individual talent and effort right now. There’s no discernible system or scheme.

Everyone talks about Quinn being a “good development coach”. Maybe he is. How about an actual coach though? If you can’t implement an NHL worthy system and all you do is preach work harder while supposedly doing a good job developing young players, I don’t really want you coaching my team. Players developing “well” but doing so in a losing environment without a sound system in place isn’t going to work out well. Losing is expected, of course, with such a young team but the fundamental things this team doesn’t do well, including from its veteran players are not so easily excused. I personally have not liked Quinn very much since last season and putting developing players aside, I don’t know that he actually knows how to coach NHL hockey.

Also who is to say DeAngelo wouldn’t have been just as good without “the Quinn approach”? I just don’t know that Quinn has a very long shelf life, because I don’t think he coaches the NHL game. He demands hard work and supposedly he’s developing our kids well (it’s tough to say if a kid is developing any differently due to Quinn or not) but the team can’t pass, is defensively clueless. I’m not convinced Quinn’s an NHL coach.
Neither do I. For me, he resembles Torts in that work ethic type mentality and probably a decent motivator. As he seems to be more a psych teacher than a "system guy", like you stated. There needs to be better structure on the defensive end, but I basically blame Ruff for that, he simply ISN'T the guy to work with these kids. Kind of the flip end of when we had Sullivan as our PP coach and we absolutely sucked at it. I believe Ruff will be gone very soon, especially if our d continues to play this way. Too many open guys all over the place/missed assignments if you will.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Good point. It would have been totally reasonable for Quinn to pull him in the first intermission or even right after the third Mtl goal. But instead he showed G the confidence and it totally paid off. Great work by G and also nice coaching by Q.
He stated he "thought" about pulling Georgie, but didnt want the crowd to get riled up.

zukeisgone

Jan 17, 2019
On a night where there was an awesome yet somewhat unexpected victory in REGULATION once again.......
I thought Trouba and Skeji were horrific, contributing towards that 4 goal deficit. Kaapo had a very quiet night, and seemed the Habs were all over him every chance they got. But, Lemieux was a BEAST!
Chytil continues to impress, even if he wasn't on the scoreboard, in which he was.
Georgy had a very solid 3rd and made some outstanding saves in which had he not, we couldn't have come back the way we did.

Funny, I thought this would have happened vs Ottawa, not so much vs Habs in a much more vicious atmosphere.

Disagree on Brady he was active and was moving pretty good

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Agreed — and he has a pretty good shot too boot. But his defensive game and mobility are especially impressive.
Hoping he develops into the next Trouba, but honestly I think he is actually BETTER defensively. I am still NOT impressed with Trouba and all of that money he got. He needs to be better, leading the defense into being stout, lets many players get around him.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That was really good. We were really ****ed......and yet we came back and got the win.

We really need to take Minnesota serious in the next game though. I mean there have been signs this year that this team can on any given night beat anyone--which means to me the talent is there--it's just that they have to play more consistently and they have to start beating weaker teams and not take them for granted.
Take no team for granted, and how about going the 1st 5 minutes without a penalty? Leading to an early hole to pull out of. Too much chasing the game......how about scoring the 1st goal or 2? That would be nice.
Still cant get over getting schooled by Ottawa twice, regardless of this comeback. But feeling better now.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
I recall vividly that "Should We Go Hard for Panarin" poll tread I started during the summer which got a ton of traction and the "for Panarin" peeps like moi barely had the advantage as it was something like 51% to 49%...it was that close.

Fast forward to current day and I'd think if that same poll of mine was posted, it would be more like 95% to 5% as I'm sure there are still a few hold outs in here who think us getting Panarin now won't coincide with when the team is truly ready to make a Cup run which IMO is BS but that was the narrative the "anti signing Panarin" peeps were espousing back in the summer...remember?

I will say that that those in here who opposed us signing Panarin have been awfully quiet since the year started...wonder why...hmmm....lol
I was not for outbidding everyone else for Panarin, getting him at all costs. I kept hearing he basically wanted to go to Miami with his pal, hang out on the beach, and...probably...mail it in. (Not that anything in his past/character would imply that, just that it’s what everyone was saying).
But I converted when he took less to join the Rangers. And beyond that, Panarin has been about perfect; The epitome of a hockey player. The guy is not big and isn’t particularly toolsy, but he’s incredibly bright and has the heart of a lion.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
I think Kreider is going through the same thing Zucc did last season.
Not knowing where he will end up.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I was anti Panarin. Still am truthfully. He has been absolutely without a doubt worth every dime. My objection was based solely on the timing of the aquisition and whether or not it would be the right move in the long term. Here we sit at about .500 hockey. Without him we are probably at about the .250-.300 range. In the long term, adding another lottery pick shores this core up for 10+ years. But it's a short life and sometimes you have to live it that way. I am glad they took the chance. He's a fantastic player and we are all lucky to see him play for us. Nash or Gaborik don't even come close. He's the best we have had since Jagr.

Kaapo Cabana

Next name: Admiral Kakkbar
Sep 5, 2014
Philadelphia
tenor.gif

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I passed out only to wake up this morning and find out they won.

You can't make this shit up lol.

Not a fan of DQ as everyone knows but I am glad he decided to leave George in there to battle back after having shaky 1st and 2nd periods.

Reactions: egelband and Cag29

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I don’t know that Quinn really has anything to do with the comeback. The team relies on individual talent and effort right now. There’s no discernible system or scheme.

Everyone talks about Quinn being a “good development coach”. Maybe he is. How about an actual coach though? If you can’t implement an NHL worthy system and all you do is preach work harder while supposedly doing a good job developing young players, I don’t really want you coaching my team. Players developing “well” but doing so in a losing environment without a sound system in place isn’t going to work out well. Losing is expected, of course, with such a young team but the fundamental things this team doesn’t do well, including from its veteran players are not so easily excused. I personally have not liked Quinn very much since last season and putting developing players aside, I don’t know that he actually knows how to coach NHL hockey.

Also who is to say DeAngelo wouldn’t have been just as good without “the Quinn approach”? I just don’t know that Quinn has a very long shelf life, because I don’t think he coaches the NHL game. He demands hard work and supposedly he’s developing our kids well (it’s tough to say if a kid is developing any differently due to Quinn or not) but the team can’t pass, is defensively clueless. I’m not convinced Quinn’s an NHL coach.

True dat ^

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
I think Kreider is going through the same thing Zucc did last season.
Not knowing where he will end up.
That is just an excuse. It should not matter where he ends up. He likely has a list of clubs in his current deal and if one is a problem for him it likely will only be for a couple of months and then he is a UFA and can go where HE wants for what HE is comfortable with making . It is a given that he controls his own fate....and poor play now only hurts his value of his next deal for the 6-7 year life of it . He should be playing like a scalded dawg....could mean extra 12-15 million for him on his new deal somewhere .

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
That's not fair. You know darn well we will be eating years of his contract 4 or 5 years from now. I don't think anyone could possibly complain about his production in the prime of his life. He's one of the top forwards in the league and has been for a while now. The question is for how much longer when he is in his 30's.
How old was Hank when he got his last contract?
#notworried

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
The team just coughed up another 5 goals and hasn't played a lick of defense.

The answer is always.. Yes!

Maybe we can get Babcock.....then watch the entire team quit on the "systems coach".
I have to ask what is it about Quinn that people hate so much? His systems? You realize that the entire league runs just about the same systems. You do realize this is the youngest team in the NHL.
I haven't heard a peep from the players about Quinn. So, what's the problem?

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Maybe we can get Babcock.....then watch the entire team quit on the "systems coach".
I have to ask what is it about Quinn that people hate so much? His systems? You realize that the entire league runs just about the same systems. You do realize this is the youngest team in the NHL.
I haven't heard a peep from the players about Quinn. So, what's the problem?

I'll tell ya, they lose a game or two with a bunch of kids who are raw and learning and the coach gets blamed, even though a lot on here have no idea what system they are trying to play or if anyone is even executing it properly. So in essence, ignore the idea its year 2 of a rebuild with the youngest team in the league and blame the coach when predictably young players struggle to pick up the system playing against men. 99 percent of the people who complain about the coach have never seen him run a practice.

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
I was anti Panarin. Still am truthfully. He has been absolutely without a doubt worth every dime. My objection was based solely on the timing of the aquisition and whether or not it would be the right move in the long term. Here we sit at about .500 hockey. Without him we are probably at about the .250-.300 range. In the long term, adding another lottery pick shores this core up for 10+ years. But it's a short life and sometimes you have to live it that way. I am glad they took the chance. He's a fantastic player and we are all lucky to see him play for us. Nash or Gaborik don't even come close. He's the best we have had since Jagr.

If they didn't get shit lucky and end up with Kakko I'd have been more opposed to the deal. Yeah another top 3 pick would have been sweet, but between Panarin, Kakko and Chytil that's three potentially elite forwards down the line. I'm not even touching on the defense that although young, has crazy upside.

It's too bad Kravtsov didn't pan out this season like everyone thought, but we already have too many young players on the team anyway. It's more disappointing because of all the hype that was associated with him more than anything

Reactions: Maximus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad