3 Stars of the Game

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I only saw the first period of the game. I thought they played really well in the first period, so the question was whether or not they'd be able to continue that. They apparently did. Good to see.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Again, my belief is that he is being groomed to be the body in front of the net on PP1, presumably if and when Kreider gets traded
Kreider is elite in front of the net and what he brings can’t be replaced easily

And you’re giving Lemieux way to much credit. He is a third line player at max, who maybe should get PP2 time

Expecting more is going to lead to disappointment

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kreider is elite in front of the net and what he brings can’t be replaced easily
I never said he wasn't or isn't
And you’re giving Lemieux way to much credit. He is a third line player at max, who maybe should get PP2 time
And you are giving him way too little credit. He can be a middle 6 forward. And with more time and practice, absolutely will be able to handle top PP time as a goalmouth presence. You greatly underrate his hands.
Expecting more is going to lead to disappointment
Guess time will tell.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Yeah I like things lemieux does especially how fast he can chip and chase and disrupt and he’s got decent offensive instincts but the finish isn’t quite there for more than a 3rd line guy I think. But that is completely ok

he’s gonna take some dumb penalties sometimes but provides a missing element to this team

honestly just real happy with that game. Wasn’t perfect and caps fans will say “oh our team had an off night and backstrom was out etc” but the rangers played a solid game against a talented team and came out on top. Definitely a building block win to show them how they need to consistently play

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
And you are giving him way too little credit. He can be a middle 6 forward. And with more time and practice, absolutely will be able to handle top PP time as a goalmouth presence. You greatly underrate his hands.

Guess time will tell.
How am I giving him too little credit? What has he done in his career that suggest potential 2nd line forward or getting time on the top PP?

He’s a bottom 6 player that plays hard and people like to fall in love with these guys thinking they can become more than they actually can.

He wouldn’t have been available in a trade for a deadline rental that was obviously not going to re-sign in Winnipeg if he was some hidden gem

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
How am I giving him too little credit?
Stating that he is nothing more than a third line player. To me that is giving him too little credit for what he can be.
What has he done in his career that suggest potential 2nd line forward or getting time on the top PP?
1) How long has his career been?
2) He has displayed good hands, he has a thick body and is willing to battle in the dirty areas of the ice
3) He has not looked out of place on the PP. In fact, next to Kreider, he has looked the best on the team as a net front presence.
He’s a bottom 6 player that plays hard and people like to fall in love with these guys thinking they can become more than they actually can
You forgot to add "in my opinion". Because that is all that you are stating.

I will grant you that the fanbase tends to fall in love with these types of players. But if you look at my history, I have always maintained that Lemieux at his best will be an ill-tempered middle six player in the mold of a Mommeso. And I do think that he can be a Holstrom-type player on the PP. At 31OA, he could have just as easily been a late first round pick.
He wouldn’t have been available in a trade for a deadline rental that was obviously not going to re-sign in Winnipeg if he was some hidden gem
That is not the way that trades work. Contending teams look at what they have and weigh that against what they believe they need. Then they decide if they want to surrender that asset to get what they need to make a deep run. That is what happened in the deal. If you want to shore up a weakness, you need to deal away assets. That is the way trades work.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
I actually liked our top 3 lines last night. A lot of people trash on Howden but he had a good game last night, he got hit a lot but he was taking the hit to make a play. Trouba is getting better by the night, same with Skjei. Hopefully things continue to progress. Buch has to have the quiested point a game season ever. Hopefully the end of game shenanigans lights a spark under Kreider, loved that hit on Wilson

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
saw a funny comment today

"no way that's Claude's son. he can actually stand up and take a punch!"

Claude Lemieux was fairly tough actually was just more about drawing penalties than anything but the guy could fight.

Last edited:

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
defensively, that was a solid effort. hanky was great but that unit of 6 played very well. kudos for a terrific defensive effort to control the top team in the league.

ADA with a team high toi 22:28 and ryan strome right behind with 22:07

nice to see quinn trusting those 2 guys.

very good game and good for them going into ottawa friday night where ill be sitting right behind the rangers bench :nod:

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
When Kreider is inevitably gone I want Chytil in front on PP1. His zone entries and ability to run down pucks with his speed and size in the offensive zone can mirror a big part of what makes Kreider so valuable on the PP. I think he can be a big body in front and work on that part of his game. He’s got so much untapped potential we’re just scratching the surface with him.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I actually liked our top 3 lines last night. A lot of people trash on Howden but he had a good game last night, he got hit a lot but he was taking the hit to make a play. Trouba is getting better by the night, same with Skjei. Hopefully things continue to progress. Buch has to have the quiested point a game season ever. Hopefully the end of game shenanigans lights a spark under Kreider, loved that hit on Wilson
Strome has inserted himself into the conversation in a way that I admit I had not thought. If Quinn is truly intending on keeping him in the middle, it makes for an interesting dilemma. We can all agree that in that case, Howden becomes the 4th line center. Fine. But then what happens? I would think that ZBad inserts himself on the second line between Kreider and Buch and Chytil goes to the third line between Lemeiux and Kakko. That is logically what will occur, but one cannot dismiss the seeming chemistry that Buchnevich seems to have found with Chytil.

Another small dilemma is top line RW. I would have thought that ZBad become center and Strome slides to the wing, but again if that does not happen, then Fast stays as the top line RW? That is not the player that he is. And I may be in the miniority, but I still like Kakko where he is and he seems to be gaining more confidence. I would not want to rush him and insert him into a role that he is not ready to assume and have his confidence take a hit.

Just some food for thought.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Strome has inserted himself into the conversation in a way that I admit I had not thought. If Quinn is truly intending on keeping him in the middle, it makes for an interesting dilemma. We can all agree that in that case, Howden becomes the 4th line center. Fine. But then what happens? I would think that ZBad inserts himself on the second line between Kreider and Buch and Chytil goes to the third line between Lemeiux and Kakko. That is logically what will occur, but one cannot dismiss the seeming chemistry that Buchnevich seems to have found with Chytil.

Another small dilemma is top line RW. I would have thought that ZBad become center and Strome slides to the wing, but again if that does not happen, then Fast stays as the top line RW? That is not the player that he is. And I may be in the miniority, but I still like Kakko where he is and he seems to be gaining more confidence. I would not want to rush him and insert him into a role that he is not ready to assume and have his confidence take a hit.

Just some food for thought.

Ya I feel that they will maybe do something with pairs of players who compliment each other like this as it spreads out the scoring in 3 lines. It actually looks pretty potent if the psf line keeps playing like they are. I've never thought of Fast as a top 6 but his ability to retrieve pucks and play a north south game seems to be a good compliment so if it ain't broken dont fix it.

Panarin Strome Fast
Kreider Zibanajad Kakko
Lemieux Chytil Buch
Gettinger Howden Smith

Reactions: belford22

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If we continue to run Strome out against the top centers in the league we will continue to pay for it.

yes Panarin is pushing that line to put up pts but they are buried constantly. It’s not a real first line. I think it would be crazy to keep Strome and Fast there when you have Mika and Kakko on this team

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
If we continue to run Strome out against the top centers in the league we will continue to pay for it.

yes Panarin is pushing that line to put up pts but they are buried constantly. It’s not a real first line. I think it would be crazy to keep Strome and Fast there when you have Mika and Kakko on this team

We have one of the best records in the league since Zibanajad went out so if that's paying for it I'll take it. Zib is our 1c, he can take the hard matchups. I don't know why a lot of people dont like Strome, he has done a fantastic job since he got here, 19pts in 19 games this year, I guess he will have to win the Hart to get any love around here. Our record is 6-3-1 in the last 10 games and had the flu mixed in there for a shellacking loss to Tampa.

Reactions: belford22

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We have one of the best records in the league since Zibanajad went out so if that's paying for it I'll take it. Zib is our 1c, he can take the hard matchups. I don't know why a lot of people dont like Strome, he has done a fantastic job since he got here, 19pts in 19 games this year, I guess he will have to win the Hart to get any love around here. Our record is 6-3-1 in the last 10 games and had the flu mixed in there for a shellacking loss to Tampa.

I certainly didn’t say I didn’t like Strome. I like him a lot. But he’s not a first line center. The metrics despite the wins will tell you that. If you have Mika Zibanejad on your team you play him on your top line that’s really all there is to it.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Stating that he is nothing more than a third line player. To me that is giving him too little credit for what he can be.
I'm not giving him too little credit. I think that he'll continue to carve out the role he is now. A really good 4th liner that can be decent/good on the 3rd line. A forward that is playing on PP2 now but when the team acquires more wingers, will probably be off.

He's on pace for 31 points, if he hits that, I'd be ecstatic.

I'm not sure how that's giving him too little credit. Again I will say, if anyone expects him to be some 40+ point player that plays on the second line and consistently getting power play time, they'll be disappointed. On a good team, he should be in the role he is now (which oddly enough is how Winnipeg was using him)

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I feel like the posts were Lundqvist playing too deep in net...of course he tends to do that but some of those shots should have just been routine saves if he was a bit out instead of ass in the net

Buch was a monster tonight, motivated as hell going up and down the ice. really wanted him to score on that last chance where he just fooled the D like it was nothing.
As much as everyone is bitching about Milbury mentioning the posts, this game was quite similar to some loses we've had. Hank was beat too easily on fairly routine shots because he was way too deep/didn't recognize the release and was down on his knees instead of staying more upright and attacking the rising shots. They didn't go in last night which is great, but let's not make believe Hank played the shots perfectly and there was no room except for the post. Sure we won 4-1 but Hank didn't look all that sharp to my eyes in his reads.

That move by Buch was super sweet, though I'm pretty sure the Caps had checked out already in the D zone losing 3-1 late in the 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad